Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought an FJ and I noticed that my only key doesn't work on any door lock except for starting the car, even when I put it in the tailgate it wouldn't turn. I'm guessing the previous owner replaced the ignition at one point and didn't change the locks for the doors. I want one key for the whole car. What should I do now?

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
It is also possible that the original key is so worn out that it won't work in the door locks - happened to me. Moved to my spare and everything was right as rain.

Or

You can visit a dealer to have a new key cut.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
if the ignition cylinder was changed, then the most direct way to get all of them to match is to replace all of them with a matched set. Unfortunately, the complete set costs about $450 from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
For an '07~-09, the key set part number is:
69005-35A50 if you do not have remote lock/unlock
or -35A60 if you have the convenience package, which means it has the remote

the difference between the two sets is the kind of key included, with a sender or not
Weirdly, the kit with the remote-type keys is almost $100 cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
One other alternative, is to get a new key cut by the dealer, using your VIN number (and make sure that does, in fact, work in all of your other key cylinders), and then take both keys to a friendly locksmith and see if they can cut you one that will work with both. Its a long shot, but maybe, just maybe...

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Crazy follow up question: how do you unlock your doors now? Only using the key fob?
You could just keep on doing it that way, and then get one, bare metal key cut to fit the doors (using your VIN number via the dealer), and then secure that somewhere on the vehicle for emergency use only.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crazy follow up question: how do you unlock your doors now? Only using the key fob?
You could just keep on doing it that way, and then get one, bare metal key cut to fit the doors (using your VIN number via the dealer), and then secure that somewhere on the vehicle for emergency use only.
Right now I use the remote, that's actually a smart idea, I might do that if the locks are too expensive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had that happen, I hadn't checked to see if the ignition key worked in the doors for a few years (used the key fob for entry). And they DID NOT! A local (good) locksmith hooked me up with three newly cut keys that worked everywhere for about $100. He pulled the little round tab out of the door, got the number off the cylinder and then used the VIN maybe? IDK but it worked like a charm, not too much $$$. Mine's an '07.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: So I went to the dealer today and asked for a new key using a VIN, and they gave me one for free. After trying it out, it worked on all doors and the tailgate. Finally I tried to start the car with it and it started right up! So I concluded that my old key was so worn out that it can only start the car and only that. So basically I fixed the situation for free.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Huh. After reading this thread I checked the keys on my recently acquired 2010. Neither key will unlock the doors (I'd been using the fob) and both work in the ignition. Oddly, the key with the fob appears fairly new while the plain key appears older. Also, this FJ was repo'd before I bought it, ignition may have been changed... guess I need to go to a dealer or locksmith and get this sorted.

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
UPDATE: So I went to the dealer today and asked for a new key using a VIN, and they gave me one for free. After trying it out, it worked on all doors and the tailgate. Finally I tried to start the car with it and it started right up! So I concluded that my old key was so worn out that it can only start the car and only that. So basically I fixed the situation for free.
Gotta love the easy wins, eh?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
And to make things even more confusing... Neither key works in either passenger door. Both work in ignition and both work in rear door.

Dealer service manager thinks the passenger door tumblers may have shifted, wants ~$500 to replace them and re-key so that everything works together. I find it unlikely that both cylinders' tumblers shifted, going to try a locksmith I guess...

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
When I bought my FJ, I, too, used the fob for a long time and so I didn't notice the driver's key cylinder wouldn't work with the key inserted in it. I removed the cylinder and found a piece of wooden matchstick had been jammed into it. Took some time to break it up and fish out the remnants, on the workbench (with a strong light and a lot of penetrating oil). Now that I've fished out the junk, it works fine.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
When I bought my FJ, I, too, used the fob for a long time and so I didn't notice the driver's key cylinder wouldn't work with the key inserted in it. I removed the cylinder and found a piece of wooden matchstick had been jammed into it. Took some time to break it up and fish out the remnants, on the workbench (with a strong light and a lot of penetrating oil). Now that I've fished out the junk, it works fine.
Huh. Need to investigate that, because the keys won't even go into the door cylinders. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem. The key works on the ignition and driver door but not the passenger and tailgate. Also, I am able to pull out the key while the engine is running !
Any recommendations ?

(07 FJ w/167k miles)

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
"Also, I am able to pull out the key while the engine is running ! Any recommendations ?"

Yes, as the original poster stated in post #9 above: get a new key cut by the dealer, using your VIN. Most likely will resolve both issues.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I haven`t used a key in the doors in years and years. I always use the key fob. Now I`m going to have to go see if they work. Never gave it a thought they might not work from non use :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Ok went out and tried the key in the doors. Did the drivers side first the key went in but it took a few to get it to turn. I got it to turn and it did open the door. I tried the passenger side and the key went in and it also took a few to get it to turn. I turned the key and opened the door but the alarm went off. The alarm didn't go off on the drivers door. At least the key works if the FOB ever dies :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts