Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This lasted about 5 minutes of twisting and turning the key and steering wheel until it finally clicked through.

How can this be prevented, or at least resolved immediately if it happens? Its happened on old cars but I always thought it was a defect and didn't expect on a brand new Toyota.

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
It has happend to me a few times in the FJ.

I found a gentle touch on the wheel and key worked better than tring man handle it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It's not a defect...it was designed that way. I don't know why but it's probably some sort of safety deal. I've not owned a newer vehicle that hasn't done that. Once you turn the ignition off, if you turn the steering wheel a certain amount, it will lock in place...and lock the ignition as well. A careful tweak on the steering wheel (toward the direction of turn, I believe...to relieve the pressure on the system) while turning the key will release both. Sometimes happens if you use the steering wheel as a handle when you climb in (thereby turning it) or if you turn the rig off and then try to turn the wheels into a curb...or whatever.

Reactions: Winterpeg

·
Registered
456 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe:

Its done for security reasons, you lock the wheel so that a thief cant hotwire the car and drive off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this problem also. The transmission wasn't in park. My wife had a big kick out of that. Turned the wheel and the key and could not move or remove the key.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well I just had a similar issue. Wiggled the key/steering wheel and rolled the car and made sure it was in park, but nothing. So, I thought since it was in the teens last night, I'd try to warm up the ignition lock and viola, after 5 mins it loosened up something in the lock/safety switch. I purchased some "dry spray lube" and hope it wont happen again. Hope this helps someone else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts