Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

I'm annoyed with the Toyota dealer right now.

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  FatMatt 
#1 ·
I just paid through the nose to have the dealer do a bunch of work on my '07 TRDSE, including some exhaust work. I just realized (to my horror) that the mechanic removed the chrome exhaust tip that has "TRD" stamped on it and there's a regular exhaust tip sticking out now where it was. To the best of my knowledge that was part of the original SE TRD package. Don't know if I could even replace that part. He probably threw it in the trash. Argh.

#2 ·
I feel your pain! This is why I do everything I can myself… and if I can’t, I’ve found a small garage in the next town. The kind of old school place with a mangy shop dog and techs that actually invite you out into the shop to explain the things they want to do. They let me sit there and watch the whole damn job if I want… it’s more entertaining than playing with my phone in the waiting area. 🤣

I hope they do the right thing and find you a new tip!

#3 ·
We'll see. They will definitely hear from me tomorrow. My vehicle still has all the original TRDSE package extras except the rock rails, which are in my shed since I'm running steps for now. It's a "first world problem", but it will bug me every time I see it. You'd think someone who works on Toyotas for a living would maybe notice the "TRD" stamped across the part and maybe realize it's a special item. Just venting, but I'm definitely not a happy camper.

#6 ·
Was that the wide oval tip found on the TRD exhaust systems? There is a TRD chrome exhaust tip availabl, but it’s round:

Reactions: Uncharted
#7 ·
#9 ·
#10 ·
#12 ·
I suppose most people wouldn’t care, but to my knowledge it was part of the original special edition package so I went from having all of the original parts to being short one. Not the end of the world, but to me it matters. The cat back system mentioned above would be a good find if it is indeed OEM and has the stainless tip. Description says it does but the photo doesn’t show it. Price is pretty good if it does.

#15 ·
some exhaust work
Clarify "some exhaust work", was the muffler / tailpipe repaired or replaced such that the chrome tip would need to be moved from the old tailpipe to the new one?

#16 · (Edited)
Long story short, I had the exhaust break at the muffler two or three years ago when I was in rural Maine. The best I could do was find a Midas shop an hour away. They didn't have the right parts but offered to weld in a new muffler, so the pipes were welded to the muffler at either end. I had to drive home so I went with the option I had. The dealership was aware of this and suggested welding in a new muffler to replace the one that recently went bad. What happened was obvious. It was easier for them to cut the pipe on the cat end, discard my OEM tail pipe, only have to weld one side and stick the plain tail pipe they had on the other end. Trouble is, changing the tail pipe was never discussed, nor was it on the work order I signed. Changing it was not implicit to the job because they were doing the same thing Midas did and Midas was able to reuse the tailpipe. They simply chose to discard my OEM pipe, which was usable and as a rare part had value, in order to short cut the job. Changing the tail pipe was never discussed. They never contacted me to give me an opportunity to authorize changing it. They just did it, which is what rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not even angry about that, just a bit annoyed. It's just a piece of metal but if I really wanted it in stock condition, it would cost me a lot to fix. I was never under any obligation to give explicit instructions about a part they weren't authorized to change. I was never obliged to even contact them sooner or later to check if it was in their scrap bin (which I did) because it never should have been in it to begin with.

Not the end of the world, just something that annoyed me.

#17 ·
I did talk to the dealer service rep, BTW. Predictably they have no interest in doing anything to rectify this. Not really worth the battle regardless. They will stonewall me and it's not worth the cost and effort of litigating. Just something I have to write off as fate.

#18 ·
It happens to the best of us. I recently had two cv axles replaced and i didnt vocalize enough that i wanted to keep them. I was going to put new boots on and have them for trail spares.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.