Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm tempted to do the same. Even with the TSB stating that we don't have to use Premium, I just feel safer doing so. I don't want to slight my FJ.

·
Registered
320 Posts
im sticking with 89... i dunno.. i see that lil sticker every single time i open the fuel door.. and it just haunts me. i stop and think.. and then i grab the 89.. lol
i think id have nightmares about it if i put 87 in..
like my fj crumbling into dust or something ..... and then id need therapy... and well, with the money id pay for therapy... i could have just put it in my gas tank in the first place and avoided the brain picking. :lol:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I ran a tank of mid grade last time and went to regular this time. I am not sure if it is because I am putting more miles on vehicle and it is finally getting broke in some (3500 miles now) or that I put on the AMSOIL air filter....but my mileage has increased as daily driver from 16.8-17.2 on average up to 17.9-18.4mpg now.

I have noticed no pinging or any other negative aspects....and it is cheaper per gallon so was obvious choice. I think I will do one tank of premium each month just to be safe but continue to use it until gas comes down some.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I ran premium until about a month ago when I switched over to 87 with no noticeable difference in mileage. I'm still training myself to drive conservatively. Old driving habits are very hard to break. I need to get a ScangageII for some real time feedback.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been running 87 for about 3 months now, with no problems, no knocking and no significant change in mpg's. We're running the same V6 as the 4runner and that can take regular, so why can't we???

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Yes you do.. They are great for that purpose and fun as well. I just dug mine out of storage and put it in the FJ over the weekend. Ron

PS: I used it on my 05 Rubicon and really improved my MPG on roadtrips. Seems that I thought if I went slower I'd get better MPG.. Not always true...

I ran premium until about a month ago when I switched over to 87 with no noticeable difference in mileage. I'm still training myself to drive conservatively. Old driving habits are very hard to break. I need to get a ScangageII for some real time feedback.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The difference in cost is actually less than it was 2 years ago, and the actual cost is about the same. So the more expensive the gas, the less cost benefit from switching, FWIW.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
With the cost of premium over $4.00 per gallon, I'm gonna switch over to regular unleaded. Anybody running on 87 octane and any issues to consider for this switch?:mecry:
No problems here. 18- 22 mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
No problems here. 18- 22 mpg.
Amazing! I wish that I could get mileage like that, but I don't drive like Mr. Magoo. Obviously, you must drive like him but do you LOOK him, too. :rofl:

Sorry ... I couldn't help it. The difference in our avatars says it all! ;)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I switched this weekend. Premium here is $5.70 or more a gallon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The issue is NOT gas mileage it is engine damage. Predetonation to be exact. If you run the motor under low loads on a cool day you should not have a problem. Under high loads and hotter days the motor may predetonate thus igniting the fuel on the up stroke of the piston too early and cause engine damage. That being said our engines do have knock sensors that will retard the ignition to resolve this condition somewhat. If you are running lower octane and hear some engine knock think of changing to a higher octane. Unfortunitly in our engines we may not be able to hear the knock before the knock sensors retard the ignition. Bottom line is that it may be OK to run lower octane but as a rule if I am going to ask the engine to do any type of hard work such as trailering and offroading or on hot days I will increase the octane to head off any predetonatiion and possible engine damage.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I believe the TSB regarding premium fuel elminates that worry.. I still run premium, but I wouldn't worry about hurting the engine with 87. Ron

The issue is NOT gas mileage it is engine damage. Predetonation to be exact. If you run the motor under low loads on a cool day you should not have a problem. Under high loads and hotter days the motor may predetonate thus igniting the fuel on the up stroke of the piston too early and cause engine damage. That being said our engines do have knock sensors that will retard the ignition to resolve this condition somewhat. If you are running lower octane and hear some engine knock think of changing to a higher octane. Unfortunitly in our engines we may not be able to hear the knock before the knock sensors retard the ignition. Bottom line is that it may be OK to run lower octane but as a rule if I am going to ask the engine to do any type of hard work such as trailering and offroading or on hot days I will increase the octane to head off any predetonatiion and possible engine damage.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Have been running 87 for a while. Now every gas station around me is at least $4.07 for 87 :(
Believe it or not, as of a couple of days ago, there were still 2 places (across the street from each other) that are charging "just" $3.99/gallon for regular in San Francisco, which just got displaced as the MOST expensive place in the country to buy gas by Chicago.

Most of the other stations are charging $4.15 or more for it. :(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts