Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

I'm ready to upgrade!

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  PureFJCruiser 
#1 ·
Hello from New Mexico.
I've been reading months of posts, studying (and learning), and saving for this day. :grin

In a few weeks the first of my upgrades to my 2007 TRD MT (110K miles) will arrive. Expedition One has been amazing and I'm excited for the new front and rear bumpers to be installed.

As I start this journey, and post my progress, I'm hoping for any advice out there.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
:wave: Chuck that damage multiplier brush guard in the dumpster and don't forget the matching Exp-1 Slider/steps !!! :cheers: I love mine :grin

Which bumper versions did you purchase? Did you see their new roof rack? :bigthumb:

#4 ·
The brush guard and Nerf bars are already beat up and I've got a spot reserved in the dumpster already! (The Forest Roads and moderate wheeling have taken their toll)
Here is what I've already purchased (did I mention I'm excited) :giggle:. [Honorable mention to Ryan @ Expedition One ... he helped me put this all together (y)]

Exp One WyoOtto front bumper & skid plate;
ComeUp winch (Gen 2 9.5rsi) with Ultra Hook;
Baja Designs Squadron Sport lights (Driving/Combo LED);
Exp One rear bumper with Dual Swing tire carrier system (latest version) with tire mount, including Geri can mount, HiLift carrier and ladder;
Baja Designs Squadron Sport work/scene/flood backup lights; and,
Rocky Mountain Kicker rock sliders

Next on the purchase list is a new suspension. Currently I have great quotes from ToyTec and RadFlo (who are both offering Black Friday sales by the way).
What I enjoy with my rig is mountain camping/hiking and fairly rough forest road wheeling - no rock climbing or desert racing in my future.
Right now, I'm heavily leaning towards RadFlo. In speaking with Glen (he was very nice), his recommendations were fairly in line with previous opinions from this forum.
Those recommendations were: 2.5" front AND rear coil-over w/remote reservoir & compression adjustments (A 6CT 001 1A) and C spanner 2.5" shock.

May I ask for a question drawing from those experts out there in this forum?
Glen (RadFlo) advised I would have to purchase separately rear constant load springs and new UCAs. I was thinking of a SPC UCA, as I don't think I will need the extra expense of a high-end ICON ... is my logic ok on this? Secondly, Glen suggested a set Dobbinson coils. There's not much in the forum about these coils (I did find a post re: an unlucky guy in the Philippines who was unhappy with his purchase of shocks). After calling Dobbinson, they suggested a 60 mil lift for 150-300 kg (Part # C59-327, $190); however, they are out of stock and won't have any until December/January. ToyTec, on the other hand, has everything in stock. They recommended a different set up: ToyTec Boss 2.5" Front Aluma w/remote reservoir & coil overs; Rear Toytec Boss 2.5" Aluma rear shocks (no reservoirs), and ToyTec SuperHeavy Duty rear coils (RCC 2.0 HD-P, $ 210).

I would seriously appreciate advise from those who have similar setups and uses for their rigs. After this is done, next on the upgrade list is an Exp One roof rack and an overland camper (Sandpiper RoofNest?)

Thank you to everyone in advance!

#9 ·
Welcome

#12 ·
Welcome aboard!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.