Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I haven't been on the forums for the past several months and remiss about signing up for Summit 8 until it was too late. Fortunately, the waiting list paid off, and I am now registered.

My wife is fearful of going off-road on a trail, and though I've experienced some moderate off-road adventures in Colorado in a Land Rover Defender, that was over a decade ago.

I signed up for the Imogene Pass trail, because of its moderate/easy rating, and photo ops. Two questions pop up, and yes I did my 5 minutes of searching the forums first.

1) Should I install my skids? I have a full set of BudBuilt Stainless Steel armor in their original boxes that have been adorning my office for the past several months.

2) Will I have to air down, and if so, should I get a compressor or tank? I currently have Nitrogen in the tires, so if deflating is unnecessary, I'll keep them aired.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
There's really no need to have skid plates installed unless you go looking for obstacles on Imogene. Airing down isn't really necessary but would certainly help with comfort (20-25 lbs. should help considerably).

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Stock FJ friendly. No aftermarket skids needed. Air down for comfort as Jim said. It really makes a huge difference. Wife will appreciate it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
111 Posts
With that said, installing the skids doesn't take very long, and can be done without help. You may want to put them on, that way if the opportunity presents itself, you're to gimped by not having them.

As for the airing down, it will help take the edge off the rocks, pot holes and water bars. I see you're on OEM rubber, which is a P rated tire. You won't have to take too much out to make it more comfortable.

Perhaps someone else can weigh in on if airing down makes your sidewalls more vulnerable, as with your tires I think they are only double walled..

Greg

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
If you drive carefully (i.e. take the easiest lines) the skids aren't necessary. If you are signed up for Poughkeepsie run then the skids are a good idea.

Air down in increments until you are comfortable. Personally, I wouldn't consider driving on highway pressures on these trails as it will beat the snot out of you. If you are feeling beat up it means the suspension is not absorbing all of the road imperfections and it is also harder on your vehicle. Air down once for the week, drive carefully whenever on pavement, and air up at the gas station on the north end of town before going home.

If you run the Alpine Loop, I also recommend airing up in Silverton before the long highway drive back to Ouray on 550. Why ? It is safer as the vehicle will handle better, have less chance of blowouts and allow you to drive at regular speeds, preventing traffic backups behind you.

·
Admin
6,585 Posts
Hell, if you have the skids... put 'em on! Even if you don't need them I've always appreciated the peace in mind having them.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Or at least throw them in the rig. I'll be in Tuesday late so I'll have time on Wednesday to help you put them on if you want a hand. If you need some tools let me know what you need and I'll bring them with me.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the feedback.

Or at least throw them in the rig. I'll be in Tuesday late so I'll have time on Wednesday to help you put them on if you want a hand. If you need some tools let me know what you need and I'll bring them with me.
Thank you. I'll try to install it later today.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, so I brought my Budbuilt skids home (the ones I had purchased in November 2013, LOL), removed them from the boxes, but found no instructions. Serves me right, because I usually don't read them anyways. However, I do wonder if it matters the order in which install the skids. Start from the back and work my way forward? Do they overlap?

EDIT: Never mind; I just found the instructions on here (I know, I know, search is my friend). Silly me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
G'day Doc,
Welcome back.
I am not that familiar with Buds, but I think its usual ( best ) to start at the back n fit forward, as most do over lap, to give a smooth under belly, they probably link together / overlap. Back to front.....
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
281 Posts
G'day Doc,
Welcome back.
I am not that familiar with Buds, but I think its usual ( best ) to start at the back n fit forward, as most do over lap, to give a smooth under belly, they probably link together / overlap. Back to front.....
cheers
Baz
Must be an Aussie thing. My Ricochets specifically had me go FRONT to BACK! :wink

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Must be an Aussie thing. My Ricochets specifically had me go FRONT to BACK! :wink
haha, really.... :rofl:
you must be right .....
must cos I am upside down .....
but I could have sworn they lip back to front ....
Cheers
Baz

Hey doc, sorry for giving you a bum steer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm just messin' with ya Baz. :laugh

You very well may be correct about the recommended installation sequence. My experience with installing skid systems is a sample of one and the Bud system may be totally different since it's steel and my kit is aluminum.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
I'm just messin' with ya Baz. :laugh

You very well may be correct about the recommended installation sequence. My experience with installing skid systems is a sample of one and the Bud system may be totally different since it's steel and my kit is aluminum.
:rofl:
geez, had me going there.....

I thought ricochet skids ( all skids actually ) , tucked the tranny skid under the front skid, so the back skid always slides in under the skid in front, and so on.....
so its easier to fit back going forward ......
now i am confused.....
:rofl: easy to do.....
Cheers
Baz

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,082 Posts
Imogene is a very fun and scenic trail. No problem with stock rigs.

But, as said above... If you have skid plates put them on! You may want to try some of the harder lines!

Cheers,

dale

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Frankly, I would install the skids. I've been over that trail before and it is pretty easy. That being said, you can be much more spontaneous the more prepared you are.

As far as airing down. No brainer there. Air down for comfort (HUGE difference), tire protection, wear and tear on the front end and added traction. I carry on board air but usually find a station to air up. I'd never run nitro in an off road tire cause I air down often. I run my 285 70 17 BFG's at 16 psi.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Most air down at the first trailhead and leave it there until Sunday before the trip home. Inspect your tires carefully for cuts during the air-up. No surprises wanted on the long trek home.

Ace

1 - 20 of 68 Posts