Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Alright, thanks again for the feedback. I had only a couple of hours of free time today, so I installed the front and mid skid plate without much difficulty. The Buds went on front first, then proceeded rearward. The rear of the front skid even had a bracket toward its rear that allowed me to align the mid skid with it before I bolted it up. The biggest challenge was balancing the heavy mid skid on the floor jack. It also would have been easier had the FJ been lifted, but I have no problem becoming one with sweat, dirt and body contortion floor exercises.

I have only 4 days left before we depart, and only limited time in the evenings to install the remaining skids (trans/T-case skid, gas tank skid, and crossmember). I also have to figure out how to operate and best mount my GoPro by then. I'm just glad it doesn't weigh 50 lbs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I put my go pro right in front of the rear view mirror, upside down. If you use the phone app, it's easier to find the settings, and there is a setting to flip the video. I found this to be the best view from inside the rig.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Alright, thanks again for the feedback. I had only a couple of hours of free time today, so I installed the front and mid skid plate without much difficulty. The Buds went on front first, then proceeded rearward. The rear of the front skid even had a bracket toward its rear that allowed me to align the mid skid with it before I bolted it up. The biggest challenge was balancing the heavy mid skid on the floor jack. It also would have been easier had the FJ been lifted, but I have no problem becoming one with sweat, dirt and body contortion floor exercises.

I have only 4 days left before we depart, and only limited time in the evenings to install the remaining skids (trans/T-case skid, gas tank skid, and crossmember). I also have to figure out how to operate and best mount my GoPro by then. I'm just glad it doesn't weigh 50 lbs.
Don't sweat it... my offer still stands. If you'll be at Summit sometime on Wednesday I'll be happy to lend a hand. :blueblob:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Don't sweat it... my offer still stands. If you'll be at Summit sometime on Wednesday I'll be happy to lend a hand. :blueblob:
That's a great safety net. I do have a question about the heavy middle skid. I bolted it up with 4 bolts/washers and the short middle allen bolt up front. However, the rear ledge of that skid just hangs out with no apparent place for bolts to attach to. I'm a little puzzled by this at the moment. I have a 2013 FJ, and noticed that the instructions (which did not come with the kit) mention nothing of a crossbar for the T/C skid, which I will install next.

So here are two more questions:

1) What does the back of the middle skid attach to?

2) Is the crossmember bar needed for the T/C skid or for the gas tank skid?

Man, I love Bud's products, but tiny labels on the skids and some slightly more detailed instructions would have been nice. I've also read that some owners are removing their stock transfer case skids. Is that a good idea to prevent rubbing?

p.s. Re: Airing down; not sure if it makes a difference, but my aftermarket wheels are 0.5" wider than OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
As far as airing down goes, air down on wednesday to 15-20 and run it all weekend without airing back up until sunday. That is how a lot of us do it. Airing down is not essential but very benificial

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
IMO, I wouldnt worry that you need anymore protection than what you installed.

Yes, you need the cross member installed to put on the transfer case.

you definitely dont need gas tank skid for the summit.

If you decide to air down (and you should) drop to 22-25 and you can still drive the highways without airing back up at that psi. Just remember that your steering is not crisp so slow down around curves.

·
Registered
958 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
looking good!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks again Cardinal. Hope to see you there.

I decided to put anti-seize compound on the bolts, and put the gas tank skid on as well. Installing all 5 skids was like piecing together a heavy puzzle.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
That looks very nice !!!!!

Next time, just remember, don't be all twisted up when putting pressure on anything, I split a lower rib doing that :(

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
"My wife is fearful of going off-road on a trail..."

What exactly is she fearful of? I ask this because although it's an easy trail to drive and you can do it stock, the Telluride side is very narrow with steep drop-offs that scare the heck out of some people. I found this out with my girlfriend on Black Bear a number of years ago. We did Engineers Pass from Lake City to Red Mountain Pass then up to Black Bear, but when we hit the switchbacks on Black Bear she about got out of the FJ and walked down even though I told her I'd done this 7 or 8 times. The drop-offs just scared her. It also didn't help there was a 4 foot diameter, 8 foot high boulder that had tumbled onto the trail right before the tightest switchback and we had to squeeze between the boulder and the edge with just a few inches to spare...

Anyway, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the terrain. It is definitely gorgeous up there though.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
Give her a barf bag and a Xanax, she'll be fine. Start the meds today though. Last week would have been better. Use 0.25 mg daily dosage, or 0.5 mg for maximum benefit. I'm being serious.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
"My wife is fearful of going off-road on a trail..."

What exactly is she fearful of? I ask this because although it's an easy trail to drive and you can do it stock, the Telluride side is very narrow with steep drop-offs that scare the heck out of some people. I found this out with my girlfriend on Black Bear a number of years ago. We did Engineers Pass from Lake City to Red Mountain Pass then up to Black Bear, but when we hit the switchbacks on Black Bear she about got out of the FJ and walked down even though I told her I'd done this 7 or 8 times. The drop-offs just scared her. It also didn't help there was a 4 foot diameter, 8 foot high boulder that had tumbled onto the trail right before the tightest switchback and we had to squeeze between the boulder and the edge with just a few inches to spare...

Anyway, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the terrain. It is definitely gorgeous up there though.
I made the mistake of showing her a funny YouTube video months ago featuring a retired guy driving a jeep, while the wife was petrified with comments made in an Austrian accent. I imagine most of the trail should be okay to do in 4H mode?

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Yeah, I started to make that mistake yesterday, stopped myself in time :rofl:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I mad the mistake of showing her a funny YouTube video months ago featuring a retired guy driving a jeep, while the wife was petrified with comments made in an Austrian accent. I imagine most of the trail should be okay to do in 4H mode?
I am sure they'll go over this at the Summit but 4Lo is much preferred on anything steep. It means you don't have to burn your brakes the whole way down and you have a nice smooth low gearing for ascending hills.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
I imagine most of the trail should be okay to do in 4H mode?
You will want to use 4 low more often than you think.

4 high = great for the desert and dirt roads
4 low = better for travel under 30 MPH.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks. See you all there.

I'll be the magma FJ with the Botox license plate and Thule roof box painted to match the roof.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
if you want atrac you will need to be in 4lo.

i keep it mostly in 4th going up hill and 3rd/2nd/1st going down and steeper inclines.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
You can do all of Imogene in RWD. 4LO? No, only trail needing 4LO is the wall at Poughkeepsie. Going down black bear would be good just for maintaining speed without burning the breaks. Summit is not the difficult parts of the state, actually rather easy which is why a lot of Colorado people go once. There are better challenges near Denver. You have 0 to worry about! BTW this is coming from the very guy that nearly rolled in 2012 on Poughkeepsie
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1405018012.702802.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

21 - 40 of 68 Posts