Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
You can do all of Imogene in RWD. 4LO? No, only trail needing 4LO is the wall at Poughkeepsie. Going down black bear would be good just for maintaining speed without burning the breaks. Summit is not the difficult parts of the state, actually rather easy which is why a lot of Colorado people go once. There are better challenges near Denver. You have 0 to worry about! BTW this is coming from the very guy that nearly rolled in 2012 on Poughkeepsie
View attachment 253033
From how I understood the comments about 4Lo above, it's not so much about 'need' as it is about how it is useful.

Generally speaking, you're right. Nothing other than Poughkeepsie Gulch is even mildly difficult on all of the trails we do for the FJ Summit.

However, the use of 4Lo is not about difficulty. It's about an appropriate gear ratio for the terrain, for the grade you're driving on and the speed of your travels.

In the case of Imogene Pass, I can think of many areas where it is useful and better overall on the vehicle to use 4Lo on the way up and the way down.

For starters, I'm pretty sure that the maximum speed limit on the trail is 25, and for much (most?) of the trail, that's actually even too fast (if we're considering appropriate speeds for conditions, etc).

Then, the grade on the area just after Camp Bird Mine (if you were to take the short cut) gets slightly steep for a little while, and then much of the way on up from the mine and dam area just before the big ascent begins is steep enough to warrant using 4Lo as well.

Then, on the way down, immediately upon leaving the summit of Imogene Pass, the steepness of the road there makes it an obvious area to want to have 4Lo, and it goes back and forth like that the rest of the way down the Telluride side.

Again though, it's not about 'need' as much as it is about usefulness and a good idea. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
You can do all of Imogene in RWD. 4LO? No, only trail needing 4LO is the wall at Poughkeepsie. Going down black bear would be good just for maintaining speed without burning the breaks. Summit is not the difficult parts of the state, actually rather easy which is why a lot of Colorado people go once. There are better challenges near Denver. You have 0 to worry about! BTW this is coming from the very guy that nearly rolled in 2012 on Poughkeepsie
View attachment 253033

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Internet wheeler^^^^

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Internet wheeler^^^^
Ooo....I'm sure that stings. :lol:

It would be even more funny if it came from someone that doesn't know the history there.

Poor guy. He moved to TX for his wife's job I think, and hasn't really been able to do much since he's been there. We miss him around here, and don't envy him in that situation a bit.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Lol anymore, yes :(. Texas blows

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Not sure where in Texas you ended up(edited: I see Austin), but all I was thinking after reading this was: Better than eastern Kansas. I know, no consolation... I am just whining :frown

My God, this location sucks! I just got back from CO, WY and SD. I hated coming home!!!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I put my go pro right in front of the rear view mirror, upside down. If you use the phone app, it's easier to find the settings, and there is a setting to flip the video. I found this to be the best view from inside the rig.
That's exactly how I mounted mine using the suction cup accessory. I'm going to shoot Imogene pass at 720p wide with time lapse (q 5 secs).

When I first set up the GoPro in my garage, it was flipping the images 180 degrees (mirror image) every so often in between shots. I don't know why. When I adjusted the brackets more perfectly, it didn't seem to do that anymore. ?!!!

Not sure where in Texas you ended up(edited: I see Austin), but all I was thinking after reading this was: Better than eastern Kansas. :frown

My God, this location sucks! I just got back from CO, WY and SD. I hated coming home!!!!
Not half as bad as Western Kansas.

Dorothy: "Oh look, Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore."
Toto: "GOOD!"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
LOL. Hard to argue that..... :)

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
We just preran the Gulches trip , some 60 miles of dirt, and my Fj stayed in LR the entire time. I paid for it so I use it. Agree fully with OCR14s reasoning above, and we don't always agree. ;-)

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
My wife and I had a blast on our very first trail run together. Many thanks to jimmy-buffet (trail leader) and Discount Tire for sponsoring this event and for the free molle bags (and candy!!!).

The force of the water gushing forward through the lower grille bent my license plate and frame up. I had to remove it.

Btw, I'm glad I installed those skids. There were a couple of times I hit (on the way up and back) an unavoidable tall rock at the center of the road. It was unavoidable, because the road was too narrow to take a different line. Black Knight: "'Tis but a scratch."

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Great pics! What happened to your front license plate?
If you look at the river crossing pics, it seems as if the force of the water deflected off the radiator pushed it (the water) through the lower grille. This bent the license plate upward.

·
Registered
958 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
So how did you actually convince the wife to go with you? Not only is the drive there a bit of a detriment for her, the thought of "off roading" and being bounced around the cabin doesn't thrill her at all... I need help in the convincing dept....
Have her drive on the trails. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
So how did you actually convince the wife to go with you? Not only is the drive there a bit of a detriment for her, the thought of "off roading" and being bounced around the cabin doesn't thrill her at all... I need help in the convincing dept....
In short, because she loves me?

Her armchair anxiety began to diminish as she enjoyed our travels through Zion, Bryce, and Arches National Park. The Durango to Silverton Train ride was a slight preview of things to come, and she enjoyed that. Once I post my in-cabin video of our trail run, you'll see how her fears were transformed to fun and utter joy.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Here's a link to the YouTube video I posted of our trail run. For some reason, it doesn't embed visually into this thread like it does elsewhere in the forums:

41 - 60 of 68 Posts