Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a lot of questions about how I bring my parts back into Canada from the US.

Just be honest when dealing with Border Guards.

Here is one example where the savings in the US of A will not pay off:

Modifying an item outside Canada
Under customs legislation, if you take any item outside Canada and change it in any way to enhance its condition or value, the CBSA does not consider it to be the same item when you bring it back into the country. You have to declare the full value of the new item.

Example
You take an old diamond ring with you on a trip outside Canada. While outside Canada, you decide to have the diamond taken out of the old ring and placed in a new setting. When you return to Canada, the ring will be considered new and must be declared accordingly.

Even if part of the ring originated in Canada, the CBSA is required to treat the ring like any other piece of jewellery you may have purchased while outside the country. This rule applies unless you have previous authorization from us to have those repairs or alterations made outside Canada.

Repairs or alterations to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft
If you intend to have repairs or alterations made to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft outside Canada, check with the CBSA before you leave. Under customs legislation, the CBSA can no longer consider your vehicle, vessel or aircraft to be Canadian-made if you increase its value, improve its condition or have it modified outside Canada. As a result, you may have to pay duty and the goods and services tax (GST) or harmonized sales tax (HST) on its entire value when you bring it back.

I doubt they would make you pay the tax on your entire FJ if you bought new tires "across the line," but if you didn't declare them and they catch you, legally they can ask you to pay the entire tax on your FJ again.

Just something to consider...

I was brushing up on my border crossing knowledge when I found this, because Torasport and I (as a person, not a business) were thinking of helping you guys out by bringing back some OME and ARB goodies for you in my trailer. I still have some more research to do, but if I drive the items back from the warehouse and ship from within Canada, modding your FJ just got a whole lot cheaper. We'd run it like a group buy... I go down all the time anyway and am looking at a lot of stuff for my "other" project truck lately. What's a bit more? :D

No promises yet. I have to make sure I can bring back your stuff without being declared a commercial transport vehicle. In my last honest border crossing I was refused entry because the items I had and hoped to ship from within the US were commercial. The personnel were very kind and helpful, and again I attribute this to my being straight with them.

I'd hate for someone to get called into the "back room" over some tax dollars...

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What conditions apply to your personal exemptions?
You cannot combine your personal exemptions with another person's or transfer them to someone else.

In addition, you cannot combine your 48-hour exemption (CAN$400) with your 7-day exemption (CAN$750) for a total exemption of CAN$1150.

In general, the goods you include in your personal exemption must be for your personal or household use. Such goods include souvenirs that you purchased, gifts that you received from friends or relatives living outside Canada or prizes that you may have won. Goods you bring in for commercial use or for another person do not qualify for the exemption and are subject to full duties. In all cases, goods you include in your 24-hour exemption (CAN$50) or 48-hour exemption (CAN$400) have to be with you on your arrival in Canada.

Except for tobacco and alcohol, goods you claim in your 7-day exemption (CAN$750) may be shipped to your home by mail, courier or other means of transportation.
From the same link...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Great info thanks Joel.
If I can had to it:
Even alcool if you find a bottle of wine that is cheap and you are over the limit they will charge you 1$/once. They told me that went I went to get parts in N.Y. I went to get info I was surprise to see how much they would charge.
If they catch you, your name stays in the computer for a while.
Better declare and paid the tax.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Went to Niagara Falls New York a few years ago for dinner with my wife and a couple of friends. Got stopped coming back and had to go into Canadian Customs. The reason we were stopped, we did not declare anything because other than dinner we did not buy anything. The guard noticed I had new tires on the car. He did not seem to think to ask about them, he just sent us over to get furhter checked. If he had asked I would have told him yes, they were new, so was the car. Only had about 1500 kms on it at that time...

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
far as I know american tires don't have a DOT # stamped on them like ours do.....They didn't in the past anyway and the border guys were WELL aware of the fact. My folks had a friend that got an awning put on his motorhome and they threatened him with the "total tax " thing because he didn't declare it.....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Good to know FJoel.

Thanks for the info.

I'm also looking forward to hearing more about your importing idea. Keep us posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
952 Posts
FJoel,
When your list gets down to "F" for Fridge and "S" for snorkels - I could be interested!

·
Registered
424 Posts
What about... USA for a week or two holiday and when your down there you have an "accident" and have the front bumper replaced with and aftermarket one. Keep it as legitimate as possible, make the call to your insurance company, have an estimate sent from a repair shop, take photos. Would you still have to pay the tax then?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about... USA for a week or two holiday and when your down there you have an "accident" and have the front bumper replaced with and aftermarket one. Keep it as legitimate as possible, make the call to your insurance company, have an estimate sent from a repair shop, take photos. Would you still have to pay the tax then?
I look at it this way...

Is it worth the hassle?

;)

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I asked a border guard about this, and the rule on "3rd party" goods is a blanket NO.

So the goodies have to be mine when crossing the border, but nothing says I can't sell them the next day...

Still, I don't think I'd like to try to bring two fridges etc, :D so bits at a time and I think we can do this. I'll try to get more details...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts