Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little back story...

Here in the Dubai, we drive on dunes which is very demanding of the vehicle (pretty much always above 4,000 rpms), so right now its summer (off season) and temps hit 45-48 deg Celsius!

So naturally I decided to take the FJ out for a dune bashing session lol

The whole time the AC was freezing cold, and I'm not exaggerating I had to reduce the fan speed because it was too cold!

I come from a Jeep Wrangler JK, which I recently sold. And it used to overheat when pushed hard during summer, let alone aircon being cold. I don't know how or what Toyota engineered into these vehicles but they did a damn good job!

·
Premium Member
13,776 Posts
Pretty sure yours and mine are the same - I could hang a side of beef in the FJ with how cold it gets.

My other vehicles from Toyota - not so much. Lexus IS - okish. Tacoma - not even close.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Last week in 114F Anza Borrego for some trails, 11 years with no AC service and still blows cold. None of the lux vehicles I have owned even come close to the FJ AC, some with 2 AC units.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I've read somewhere that Toyota overbuilds the AC and cooling systems in countries other than the US. It's kind of sad because we could really use it here in AZ most of the year...
I live in So Cal , I`ve had my FJ 15 years now and the AC blows real cold all the time. It has never been serviced either :)

Reactions: FaJa Cruiser

·
Registered
132 Posts
A little back story...

Here in the Dubai, we drive on dunes which is very demanding of the vehicle (pretty much always above 4,000 rpms), so right now its summer (off season) and temps hit 45-48 deg Celsius!

So naturally I decided to take the FJ out for a dune bashing session lol

The whole time the AC was freezing cold, and I'm not exaggerating I had to reduce the fan speed because it was too cold!

I come from a Jeep Wrangler JK, which I recently sold. And it used to overheat when pushed hard during summer, let alone aircon being cold. I don't know how or what Toyota engineered into these vehicles but they did a damn good job!

View attachment 1169058 View attachment 1169060
Same! I’m in the states, but the summer has been over 100 in our state recently and I’m never about 3 clicks, usually 2 is good and this is coming from someone who loves it cold. Best AC in any vehicle I’ve owned.

Reactions: FaJa Cruiser

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Same here. Some factors aiding FJ's stunning A/C performance:

1. White Roof (heat rejection)
2. Short, nearly vertical windows (reduced sun load)
3. Evaporator and Condenser sized for the larger Prado/4Runner interior volume (oversized capacity)

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser
8 Posts
'08, 60K, just got the AC checked for the heck of it, cost me nothing.
It blows cold and needed no charge. I seldom use it as I live at 8500', but when driving into the hell some people call
home, it is first world luxury.
My Expedition One bumper is about ready to ship, o_O

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What weight oil are you using at 48C and >4,000RPM? I hope it's at least any oil weight that ends in -50
I use 5W40 Lexus fully synthetic oil. Works best for me.

But I get what you mean.... I had the chance to meet one of the Toyota engineers who worked for the Dakar team in Saudi Arabia, he told me the "passenger cars" are built with tight tolerances for emissions & fuel economy and that using a heavier oil would interfere with the vvti (variable intake & exhaust timing adjusters), hence causing damage inevitably.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I will be arranging to have my aircon serviced soon and wondered what type of gas is used?

I’m curious if Toyota use the same gas for all continents that the FJ was sold.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will be arranging to have my aircon serviced soon and wondered what type of gas is used?

I’m curious if Toyota use the same gas for all continents that the FJ was sold.
The one on mine says R134a. But I guess refrigerant has more to do with environmental laws in their respective countries

1 - 20 of 29 Posts