Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
The FJ cruise control is perhaps the worst system I've ever had the displeasure to use. I drive primarily in Indiana (flat as a table) and I have found that using the cc is one of the most effective ways to decrease your mpg substantially. CONSTANTLY shifts from 2500rpm to 4000rpm in some of the most pointless of situations.
So explain why it is possible to climb the same hill with out cruise control, and not have the transmission down shift? If it were gearing, then it would do the same function no matter if you were controlling the accelerator or if the computer controlled cruise control was. There fore, it is NOT gearing.
Yes, thank you!! The FJ has the absolute worst cruise control of any vehicle I have ever owned.

·
Registered
624 Posts
As others have said, Fix the AT, the MT Works
Awesome IMO !...
All the more reason to buy an MT :rocker:

Just did 4k road trip and used cruise control for most of it, it was great in the I-64 WV mountains, only had downshift for the steeper climbs, didn't have to at all on the descents, 6th worked like a champ.

·
Banned
193 Posts
So explain why it is possible to climb the same hill with out cruise control, and not have the transmission down shift? If it were gearing, then it would do the same function no matter if you were controlling the accelerator or if the computer controlled cruise control was. There fore, it is NOT gearing.
you are making minute adjustments with your foot that you aren't even aware of that hold the speed relatively stable, but that the computer can't adjust to-

The FJ has different gear ratios than an auto that is geared higher- the FJ's gears are meant for low end torque and there is a bigger difference between these low end gears and the over drive used at highway speeds.

So that when a car shifts on a hill you hardly notice it, but the FJ jumps a further distance from gear to gear.

This is why a highway cruising tractor trailer has so many gears to maintain speed up and down hills. Less Space between gears = easier speed maintainence.

·
Registered
702 Posts
you are making minute adjustments with your foot that you aren't even aware of that hold the speed relatively stable, but that the computer can't adjust to-

The FJ has different gear ratios than an auto that is geared higher- the FJ's gears are meant for low end torque and there is a bigger difference between these low end gears and the over drive used at highway speeds.

So that when a car shifts on a hill you hardly notice it, but the FJ jumps a further distance from gear to gear.

This is why a highway cruising tractor trailer has so many gears to maintain speed up and down hills. Less Space between gears = easier speed maintainence.
TOTALLY! I did look at the gearing last night; I knew you were right about it having different gears. I had always just assumed that the MT was better no matter what since it is 6sp, not 5 like the AT. So I still have to ask or say, it seems like its the computer programing of the CC that causes it to jump SO far from one gear to third making that Cape Canaveral launch sequence that the OP mentioned. So it isn't that the gears are so far off, or limited, it's the CC is over sensative or just not responsive enough to initial drag/load like the foot is as you mentioned.

Drove cross country this winter, Rte 40 through Texas, and man, I have NEVER had such bad mileage, (high wind)......yeah, yet another reason to get a manual!!!!

·
Banned
193 Posts
TOTALLY! I did look at the gearing last night; I knew you were right about it having different gears. I had always just assumed that the MT was better no matter what since it is 6sp, not 5 like the AT. So I still have to ask or say, it seems like its the computer programing of the CC that causes it to jump SO far from one gear to third making that Cape Canaveral launch sequence that the OP mentioned. So it isn't that the gears are so far off, or limited, it's the CC is over sensitive or just not responsive enough to initial drag/load like the foot is as you mentioned.

Drove cross country this winter, Rte 40 through Texas, and man, I have NEVER had such bad mileage, (high wind)......yeah, yet another reason to get a manual!!!!
It is a quandary I guess. The mileage is stated as much better with the auto- one of the reasons I got an auto, but I never really understood why this should be the case.

I played around on the highway this morning because after thinking about this I wasn't sure myself anymore what was what.,...

Ok...on one hand, the human anticipates the hill and adjusts it's driving to accommodate ....the blind computer simply travels along like normal and then...oh my I seem to be fighting gravity more here, better counteract it....SURGE....oh my I think I've gone too fast ....COAST....uh oh...SURGE....

and so on....... computers are dumb

So I will admit that although I still say the distance in gearing needed for slow driving as opposed to highway speeds is greater in a truck like the FJ, and thus the bump is bigger, the cruise control system should probably be redesigned to provide more intelligent hill shifting.

So thats that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The cruise control in my AT FJ has way better sped control than the one I had in the F-150 truck I drove for ten years prior. IF you all think it sucks, I guess I'm missing out on something.

-Ferguson.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Agree very much on getting a better cruise control. The cruise control was a major reason for me to choose one of the upgrade packages, but now I rarely use it. I've had two automatics with cruise control that worked flawlessly, an Audi S6 and Mercedes CLS, so I know it can done.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As others have said, I have a M/T and the cruise works fine

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I knew I has seen this topic before!

I had my first experience today of a pre-orbit launch cycle. I was driving along Hwy 395 today in Eastern California, near Mammoth Lakes. Wide multi-lane highway, no traffic. I had it on cruise control and started going up a long gradual hill. No different than any other vehicle I've driven along there. I had the cruise set at 70 intially, and by the time I got half way up the hill, next thing I know, I'm at 83+ and the FJ is strongly accelerating on its own. (Hey, the Doobie Bros music was distracting me.....)

Don't know the cause, but I did experiment a bit. I think I discovered that after the problem started, I could just tap on the accelerator and let off, and the FJ would slow back down to the original setting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
On the A7 motorway from Avignon direction Nimes (france) there are some steep hills before it levels out. I tend to drive it with cruise control fixed at 130 kph, around (81 mph) which is the speed limit here, as soon as I hit the hill going down it went over the limit, and the damn police were in the bottom of the road and they flashed me going down in cruise control! The vehicle picked up speed even though it was fixed! We'll have to wait and see if I will get a ticket.

·
Registered
246 Posts
In my now "late" 80 series, if on a long incline the c.c. would just cut out and you would loose ALL of your momentum,hard to regain in an 80..the FJ does seem to throw you into curves sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The cruise control on my automatic transmission equipped FJ borders on dangerous on down grades. I pick up well over five miles over speed on a hill coming into my home town before it even starts to correct. My Ford F 250, on the same down grade, doesnt even vary over a mile per hour so I know what is possible. Up grades do not seem like a problem, although it does over speed before returning, it does up shift quickly but I dont have an issue with that.

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,839 Posts
21 - 34 of 34 Posts