Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen to stuff you folks here are doing as far as mods to your rigs and you folks have got some major talent and ideas around here.. But I noticed there's not to many (if any) of you stuffing a CB in the dash.. While this was prolly one of my most inovative little projects, it wasn't that difficult..

On scale of 1 to 10, 1 being hooking up a Sirius FM Broadcast thing and 10being something like dropping a 350 V8 under the hood, this was prolly like 4 or so..

Not much to say about it.. Just a double DIN adapter and some creative dremel tool work.. The rest of it was as simple as hooking up any CB..

The CB was tweaked a bit by Clay's CB Shop (google it) and with a 102" whip on the back bumper I can get out 7 - 10 miles.. Did the tennis ball thing for a bit, but always thought it looked stupid, plus I needed two of 'em, one low to keep from beating up the corner of the tail light and another up high to keep it from slapping around against the top of the back door.. Found this foam pipe insulation at McMaster Carr online, for about $2 for 6ft.. Works great.. The strap is a rubber bungee with the hooks removed.. Antenna through one hole and a screw holding the roof tracks in place through the other.. Kinda keeps it from whipping around so much.. First run down the freeway with the 102 I noticed cars taking a VERY W I D E track around me.. Figured out before long exactly how far out a 102 will reach with the right turbulance to make it dance..

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
There is just one other rig I've seen with this setup. It is the best one I can think of for this configuration. VERY nice work Token! I like the foam on the antenna too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's the thread I missed.. I knew it was to easy for me to be the first one..

I searched the web far and wide (ok I googled it) and couldn't find but one or two in dash installs for CBs that looked like they were done right.. Those two setups work for me though..

I remember looking at the Midland when I settled on the Cobra.. The lack of a front firing speaker in the Midland pointed me on to the Cobra..

·
Registered
476 Posts
That is a sweet install Token. That looks as if it came from the factory like that. Many Props.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I did mine too last year...I have a very large Cobra.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I did mine also, but my Cobra 18wx st II died after three days. I have the Uniden Pro538 and it works much better IMHO. And it was $10 less expensive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got 959's!

I don't think you could do it without cutting into your mount there a little bit. I think they're just slightly too big for the DIN slot itself.

Definitely a no-go in the FJ I'd say...

Give it a shot in your H3! :D
Nah, there's no way anything larger could fit without some major dash mods. When i was mounting everything up in the dash kit I knew I couldn't use the thumb screws and get it to fit. Turned out even a normal bolt head was to big. Had to find countersink screws to put through the dash kit into the CB to fit it into the slot..

And considering this thing's a lease, doing a lot of dash carvin prolly ain't the best idea..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts