Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and searched (before my head gets taken off)

I just got a new-to-me rig and an dying to get the chime kill and tpms disable hacks done. I did them in my black Fj and can't go much longer like this in this one.

Problem is, I'm trying to figure out how to get the gps panel off to access the wires. I truly wish it had the glove box but I'm stuck with this... I see 2 screws on top and have them removed. What's the trick to popping it out??

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't have the gps panel in mine just the glove box, but if the procedure is the same, then after removing the screws just pull up along the side of the compartment closest to the window. It takes a fair amount of force.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
[post removed due to incompetence]

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The glove box was easy to remove because of the hinges you could use for leverage. This panel seems like it secures differently. I've tried several pry points without success. Just don't want to break it and regret trying...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had mine out the other day.
Of course remove the two plugs & screws underneath.
Pry with a plastic pry tool and you can see the clips they are in the same place as the glove box, looked like there were more clips along the front edge then the rear & sides.
Why are you removing it to disable the chimes?
Open the driver door, see the black rubber covered switch? use a 10mm socket and remove the pin unplug it from the back side it will kill the chime.
Take a piece of fishing line to tie around the wire from the harness and secure it to the pin so it doesn't fall into the door in case you need to reassemble it and bolt pin back into place. You loose the dome light coming on when driver door is open but works when passenger door opens.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I'll try prying in those areas while watching for the clips.

The chime kill hack kills door, key, and light beeps while still allowing interior door lights to function. Plus TPMS light needs to go.

Do I pry the windshield side first? Or the steering wheel side?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts