Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been looking on here and on YouTube and consider swapping the stereo in a 2014 for a PIONEER AVH-200EX 6.2. I'm not sold on this and would like to know if there are better options or what others are using. Ideally, I'd also like to be able to use the steering wheel functions. Looking for an easy setup, it seems many of the double DIN aftermarket stereos require a Toyota harness for the installation.

Thanks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Bdog,

I had a Kenwood put in a couple years ago and used a TO1 plug and play harness along with the Maestro interface kit from idatalink. I was told this was the only way to get full function from the steering wheel controls.

It works perfectly, but you have to get a replacement microphone to put between your headliner and windshield and you will loose some functionality in your console USB port. Get an FJ sharkfin cable if you want to retain OEM functionality or you will have to glue an ugly xm satellite antenna to your roof.. If I recall, the FJ stereo slot is not exactly a double din dimension, so you will need the appropriate Metra install kit.

The Maestro module needs to be custom programed with a p.c. Fortunately, idatalink will send you a customized FJ program via email. You can check the chart on their website to see if the head unit that you want to install is compatible. Also, check out some of the many install threads on here. Here is mine:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/private.php#/topics/545538

·
Registered
25 Posts
In March i put in a Pioneer AVH-1330NEX 6.2" DVD Receiver as well as wired up the in cabin microphone by the rear view mirror and put a wide angle fish eye camera to the left of my receiver in the back. I really wanted Apple Car Play since i do everything through my Apple Music and through my iPhone. i use my phone for navigation/directions so I didn't need a separate GPS in the unit. I've been in love with the new head unit. Does everything i need and I swear it even makes the stock speakers sound better. Only downside is, it ate up my front lighter socket for the iPhone cable plug.

if nothing else. the pioneer has been rock solid so far. Month and a half in.

·
Registered
566 Posts
What does the custom program do that the normal programming interface do?
At the time I did it, the normal program did not have full functionality and the OBD2 data wouldn't show up on the head unit screen. After they customized the program, it was perfect and I could watch my gas tank drain digitally and see my tire pressure so I don't forget to air back up.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
if you use Crutchfield their tech support can help you through any issues during the installation

As noted, there will be a Maestro adaptor which will make all of your steering wheel buttons function (and with some of them you can add new functions to your steering wheel buttons as you see fit, which is also nice).

Crutchfield will also supply a harness that will make your head unit plug directly into the factory harness.

You can get things like the Maestro and harness adaptors on your own, through the internet, but if things get confusing along the way you'd be on your own. Crutchfield does a very good job of making things clear and has great tech support for when things go wrong (I got a bad Maestro unit once and their diagnostics over the phone identified what was wrong with it, and that I was not going crazy, and they shipped a new one immediately).

For the USB in the dash, I used Axxess AX-USB-35EXT (I bought on my own, through the internet), which fits into the stock dash hole and provided me with a 1/8" phone jack and a remote USB for my new head unit, and looks OEM.

N

·
Desert Moderator
7,720 Posts
At the time I did it, the normal program did not have full functionality and the OBD2 data wouldn't show up on the head unit screen. After they customized the program, it was perfect and I could watch my gas tank drain digitally and see my tire pressure so I don't forget to air back up.
Wait... What?
How do you see the fuel level? That's not available over OBD2 so far as I'm aware...
Are you using stock TPMS modules or aftermarket?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wait... What?
How do you see the fuel level? That's not available over OBD2 so far as I'm aware...
Yes, I get TPMS and fuel calculations on my Kenwood head unit through OBD2 via the Maestro. Remaining fuel, avg mpg, instantaneous mpg, battery charge, temperatures, etc...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
fuel level monitoring information available over the OBD improved in the later years FJs (early years don't provide the info)

·
Desert Moderator
7,720 Posts
fuel level monitoring information available over the OBD improved in the later years FJs (early years don't provide the info)
I have a '14 and have torque pro - I can't see any fuel level in there - is there a specific PID for that?
What software are you using?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I tried Torque, but was not satisfied even after upgrading to the paid version. I do not recall having Fuel consumption data on my phone screen readout. I did research and found out that some aftermarket head units can display OBD2 data on the FJ Cruiser. This breakthrough led me to look at the iDatalink Maestro website where you can find out which head units have the OBD2 capability.

Mine is a 2014 TTUE and I have stock TPMS modules, but I am not sure which other models have this capability. My head unit is the Kenwood DDX 573 BH paired with the Maestro interface and the TO1 module. I can't see my spare tire pressure/Temp and only the front doors show unsecure warning. However, those do show as regular dash cluster alarms.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wait... What?
I have stock TPMS modules. The sparetire doesn't register on the Kenwood headunit. IDatalink said they can't add it to my program. The spare still shows on the cluster alarms when it is low.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check out Toytec's Insane Audio Android unit. I have it in mine. It's prewired to just plug-and-play. Has WIFI, mapping, bluetooth, DVD, etc... it's basically a tablet. It's got a removable micro SD card for music/movie/stuff... great unit. had no problems.... no, I don't work for Toytec.

Hildebrand

·
Registered
566 Posts
Jehster,
Does the Toytec Insane Android unit have all steering wheel control functions? What is the upload time from start up to radio play?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts