Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 2007 FJ in the next few weeks, and am interested in getting max hp and torque out of the powerplant. The car will be staying in MX pretty much forever, and there are no emissions issues to consider, so anything goes in terms of mods - straight pipes, chips, intakes, you name it. What would be the absolutely best set of mods one could think of if emissions testing wasn't an issue? Appreciate any suggestions - I can buy all the stuff stateside and install across the border, if necessary.

Have to be a California car due to proximity to MX, so any gotchas on the computer or warning lights would also be appreciated.:bandit:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
:lol: Dominic, that last mod is just evil. I guess that's the luxury you have when you're "unregulated".

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would say

1. Supercharger!
2. TRD CAI
3. JBA Headers
4. URD Y-Pipe
5. Unichip performance chip

Your choice of an exhaust, something without a catback =)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Biggest boost you'll get (aside from the SC) will probably be from removing all cats. Get O2 sensor bypass or else you'll throw codes and the computer will really crap out your performance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am buying a 2007 FJ in the next few weeks, and am interested in getting max hp and torque out of the powerplant. The car will be staying in MX pretty much forever, and there are no emissions issues to consider, so anything goes in terms of mods - straight pipes, chips, intakes, you name it. What would be the absolutely best set of mods one could think of if emissions testing wasn't an issue? Appreciate any suggestions - I can buy all the stuff stateside and install across the border, if necessary.

Have to be a California car due to proximity to MX, so any gotchas on the computer or warning lights would also be appreciated.:bandit:
It all sounds good, I also have an Toyota that stays at my house down there. It really has no speakable emissions to speak of. At times 'good' gas might be difficult to find so I might think twice about the S/C but everything else a go. It seems cheaper to bring your mods with you.

P.S. keep it well locked up!

·
Registered
911 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also dont forget the CAI (cold air intake)

so where do you plan on driving it? TJ?
i go to TJ 2 timer per week.
In Loreto, La Paz and Cabo. I see a lot of FJs here, have driven one on some pretty gnarly roads and trails, and am sold on the proposition. Better bang for the buck than a LC, and more fun styling.

I think the supercharger is a pass due to dust issues. So chip, headers and exhaust mod seems the easiest, with the CO2 bypass. Probably will result in what, maybe 10% increase in overall performance?

·
Registered
911 Posts
In Loreto, La Paz and Cabo. I see a lot of FJs here, have driven one on some pretty gnarly roads and trails, and am sold on the proposition. Better bang for the buck than a LC, and more fun styling.

I think the supercharger is a pass due to dust issues. So chip, headers and exhaust mod seems the easiest, with the CO2 bypass. Probably will result in what, maybe 10% increase in overall performance?
With those parts and correct tunning of the chip i guess you could gain like 20 hp.

Good luck with you're build.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Drive - it's about 4 and a half hours. They are working on the new coastal highway so there is about a 40 kilometer section of off road driving I have to do to get there. It's a blast - my mini Baja 1000 every few weeks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the Doug Thorley long tubes and URD crossover. Cats...what cats. My muffler is the one that came with my TRD EXhaust. I also have the AllPro high clearance tail pipe. It's a little noisy and I think i might try to find a Magnaflow that will tone it down a bit. I got a little quicker throttle response and it lights up above 3500 rpm. I live high in the remote New Mexico mountains and I don't have to do emissions. As the great Somkey Yunick said...a motor is nothing but an air pump...the easiest way to free up horsepower is let it breath...intake and exhaust...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and support. I think what I am hearing is that I should buy a chip, headers and an exhaust that eliminates the cats, and some sensors that will trick the computer into believing that it is all still there - I would call that the phantom limb mod.

If you see an FJ blazing down the carretera between Loreto and La Paz, with some Cabo in the mix, hide your daughters, your stereo, and your beer. Trouble is in the wind. Or something along those lines...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and support. I think what I am hearing is that I should buy a chip, headers and an exhaust that eliminates the cats, and some sensors that will trick the computer into believing that it is all still there - I would call that the phantom limb mod.

If you see an FJ blazing down the carretera between Loreto and La Paz, with some Cabo in the mix, hide your daughters, your stereo, and your beer. Trouble is in the wind. Or something along those lines...
Make sure that when you do install your parts, have it done professionally. Someplace that can dynojet so you can monitor the increase in your truck's performance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts