Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I've researched FJs and taken test drives off and on over the past 1-2 years. I drive a Land Rover Discovery II that I love (it's actually used off road--full ARB suspension, bull bar, etc.), but years with a Land Rover has given me an itch for Japanese reliability. I've now gotten to the point where I don't want to put any more money into the Disco.

Things like gas mileage are not an issue for me. The FJ should actually be an improvement. I get about 11-12 mpg on my Disco with the safari roof rack and Grabber tires installed.

So my question is this...

I'd like to buy used, and would like to keep the cost between $24k - $26k. What year should I buy? I'm familiar with some of the small feature upgrades between years, but is there a general sense that's developed around here of which model years are the best vs which have the most issues?

Should I avoid 2007 since that was the first model year? Any big jumps in basic quality from year to year?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

·
Registered
886 Posts
Def go newest as possible. I have an 07 and love it!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Mmmm... Discos are sexy!

I wanted one before I got my FJ... Almost 3 years later and I still do. The only thing holding me back is the maintenance. Seems like everyone I know who has one has theirs in the shop more than their garage.

I'd look for a late (built after June) 08 model or anything newer. Mainly because they are running v3 of the inner fender design. Search Fender Bulge and you'll understand why. Also some of the 07's had diff problems and throw out bearing issues on the MT's. Keep a sharp eye out. Theres quite a few rigs for sale on here that are already modded.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm going to give the opposite advice, advice i wish i had when i bought. save yourself the $$$ and get a 2007 or 2008, 50,000+ miles in great shape and save (id go late 2008 if possible)!!! the first gen engine (2007-2009) in these actually has more torque which is better to drive! And the changes over the years are nothing to waste thousands over. these FJs are built to last and 50,000 is nothing on these trucks! you can get one for under $20,000. then buy yourself some nice wheels and a few mods and customize it the way you want. you will still save thousands. take those thousands and invest or take a trip to europe! ;)

honestly, these FJs go forever. buying new is a waste. buying used for $25,000 is also a waste. go find one in amazing shape, decent miles, under $20,000 and ENJOY!!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I'd stay pre 2010 if you want the most after market choices. I'm sure the 2010 and 2011 choices will get better as time goes on. Good Luck.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you know what mods you want to put on yours look for a used model that has as many of those mods already installed as possible.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was in the same boat as you recently and was considering getting a certified pre-owned but when comparing prices on the certified pre-owned and new they were literally 20-40 a month difference in payments. I got one of the last 2010 with convenience and upgrade package for 27k. I personally get weird-ed out buying an off road vehicle used. Especially being part of the forums and seeing what people do with there vehicles. You can probably get a 2011 4704 for 29k.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Six lb of torque? You'd never notice it, but less vibration, smother power, cooler running, longer life, more fuel milleage. That you will notice.
Agreed. If you're really an off-roader, I would look for a 2010 model w/o the upgrade package, no sliders, no roof rack, no brush guard, etc. Make sure it has a locking diff. You should be able to find that in your price range. The idea being an off-roader is going to add their own mods - sliders, rack, maybe bumpers and armor. If you have the locking rear diff, $50 gets you the ATRAC switch. You get the rear parking camera w/ the 2010. If you really need a subwoofer or 110V you can add them for much less than the upgrade pkgs. Plus its more fun to DIY!

Edit: and that certifed Toyota 2.9% and 7 year powertrain warranty ain't bad either. I'm averaging 20 mpg in 50/50 city/hwy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I pulled the trigger. Bought a NEW 2011 FJ. Quicksand (love this new color), off road package, convenience package, roof rack.

Got what I think is a great deal--paid less than the price I had a negotiated for a used 2010 at a Honda dealership down the street.

I'm happy with the installed options, for the most part. I had outfitted my Disco with lots of ARB components, and may get to that at some point down the road with the FJ. The main thing I need to deal with right away though is the tires. Dunlop AT20s came installed, and they appear to be mostly useless off road. I'd love to figure out how to get some decent money for this in trade or sale...

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a 2007 Sun Fusion, Roof Rack, Spare Wheel Cover, AT back in October of 2009. It had 32,000 miles on the odometer. I paid $18,000 even for it. I love this vehicle. Only wish I have is that the gas tank were a little bigger. Gas mileage is as good as can be expected for a vehicle of that type. The V-6 engine has plenty of horses to get onto the interstate if you need them. I just fell in love with this vehicle at first sight. I love to drive it and I get a little more respect driving this than my little RAV4 I had prior. Blind spots are really not an issue for me since the active rear radar works well. I also purchased some little corner mirrors to put in the lower left corner of the existing mirrors to help with the blind spots on the interstate. I have the oil changed regularly at 3000 intervals and it runs like a charm. I do not ALWAYS use premium fuel either. Mid grad seems to work as well as premium with no loss of power. I am a satisfied FJ owner and would have to say that ANY FJ cruiser you purchase would be a fine choice. Like others have said, Toyota reliability is something to be considered. Just take a good look at the one you buy and make sure the modifications, if any, were done by qualified personnel and that it hasn't done any unrealistic off-roading. :wave::wave:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger. Bought a NEW 2011 FJ. Quicksand (love this new color), off road package, convenience package, roof rack.

Got what I think is a great deal--paid less than the price I had a negotiated for a used 2010 at a Honda dealership down the street.

I'm happy with the installed options, for the most part. I had outfitted my Disco with lots of ARB components, and may get to that at some point down the road with the FJ. The main thing I need to deal with right away though is the tires. Dunlop AT20s came installed, and they appear to be mostly useless off road. I'd love to figure out how to get some decent money for this in trade or sale...

Congrats man! Good choice!
Not sure about tires, sometimes replacement could be negotiated at the point of purchase...for BFG A/T or something like that. Probably too late now? You can probably sell them, put them on e-bay i guess.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The main thing I need to deal with right away though is the tires. Dunlop AT20s came installed, and they appear to be mostly useless off road. I'd love to figure out how to get some decent money for this in trade or sale...

Sold mine easily within a couple of hours on Craigslist. 60% of new discount tire price. Maybe should have asked for more? Just make the buyer bring cash.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts