Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished everything up without a hitch, until it came time to adjust to get it up another inch.

I can't get the damn collars to budge. With two people. One per wrench. Truck's off the ground, wheels off, etc.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, called ToyTec. Talked to Brandon and he recommended using a breaker bar. We did and it stripped the f-ing lower spanner wrench. They're sending me a new one. He also said to drive a little to loosen them up, then try again.

Turns out though, that I don't need to adjust them. :rolleyes: They come with 3"lift already. I swear I've read otherwise, though. Oh well. I'll have pics later.

·
Registered
449 Posts
wow
hope your day gets better:cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
if you have 2 inches from the bottom of the collar to the bottom of the smaller collar you are set at 3 otherwise yeah, drive it and loosen em up a bit then re try, I had to use a breaker bar also. keep an eye on your sway bar to make sure it's not rubbing on the shock after a day or two.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing seems to be rubbing. Took it on a test drive an an awful squeel comes from the front right upon turning to the right, moreso, but it happens while turning left, too. Nothing seems to be rubbing.

any ideas?

Lift looks fantastic, btw. Will have pics after I figure this out, shower and smoke a fatty splif. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Hmm, make sure you recheck all the bolts after you took it for a drive, coulda loosened something up. also reccomend some red threadlock if you havnt already.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Is thread lock absolutely necessary?

Checked all the bolts, then checked again after another drive. Everything was tight.

Turned out to be dirt between the rotor and pad. Easy fix.

Also: The right front sits 1/4 of an inch higher than the front left. But the
rear left sits an entire inch lower than the right rear. There is pretty noticeable sag if you're looking dead on at the rear. I do have a full gas tank though. Will it settle some? Could I have received a mis-matched coil set?

Thanks.

Here's some pics:

Toytec Adjustable coliovers up front, Toytec Customs in the rear with TRD/Offroad Package Bilstiens.

Before (with 33"s):

Buttoned up, mostly:

Difference in stock and ToyTec unit:

Front done:

Difference between stock rear and ToyTec Custom 2.5" lift coil:

Front & rear done:

Impressions: WOW, is all I can really say. Such a much better ride than stock. I can't wait to wheel this *****. And hard! I'll give a better report after they've settled and I've had my alignment plus some time off-road in the mud and rocks.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
499 Posts
One of my front coils from Toytec is actually marked "driver's side"with a little sticker on top of coil. The rears look pretty close to same when they are sitting side by side. I am hopefully gonna get to the install tomorrow:cheers:

BTW, the rig looks sweet!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of my front coils from Toytec is actually marked "driver's side"with a little sticker on top of coil. The rears look pretty close to same when they are sitting side by side. I am hopefully gonna get to the install tomorrow:cheers:

BTW, the rig looks sweet!!
Thanks, man.

I'm confused. Are you saying my rear coils maybe put on the wrong sides? My front adjustables aren't mark, fwiw. Oh well, the only one that will fit is the correct one.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks, man.

I'm confused. Are you saying my rear coils maybe put on the wrong sides? My front adjustables aren't mark, fwiw. Oh well, the only one that will fit is the correct one.
No, I think the rears are the same and it doesn't matter which side they go on. The fronts can be used on either side as well, however Toytec went ahead and adjusted one of my fronts up to offset the "FJ lean" and marked it drivers side. When you get your new spanner wrench you could just adjust the drivers side back up to compensate instead of swapping the coils back. I hope that clears things up.

BTW, I think Toytec just started doing this to the coilovers on the last few shipments so yours might have been one that wasn't already adjusted. I think they are pretty detailed oriented people there and if one would have been adjusted for driver's side it would have been marked.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I think the rears are the same and it doesn't matter which side they go on. The fronts can be used on either side as well, however Toytec went ahead and adjusted one of my fronts up to offset the "FJ lean" and marked it drivers side. When you get your new spanner wrench you could just adjust the drivers side back up to compensate instead of swapping the coils back. I hope that clears things up.

BTW, I think Toytec just started doing this to the coilovers on the last few shipments so yours might have been one that wasn't already adjusted. I think they are pretty detailed oriented people there and if one would have been adjusted for driver's side it would have been marked.
Damn it! You're right. The "d" is on the passenger side. Will this matter once I adjust it to my liking?

Thing with the spanner wrenches. Did anyone have to use a breaker bar on the spanners? If so, do you put it on the heavy duty iron (black) one? We used a jack handle and put it on the smaller, lower, brass one. It stripped the end of the wrench and part of the collar.

I'm just a little worried I got a messed up set of coils. They are absolutely frozen, seized, whatever in place.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump. I really want to make sure I'm not going to screw anything up this way. Can I just take it to an offroad shop and have them use an air chisel? Or do I need to swap the sides the coils are on. Or is the only diference the pre-adjusted height?

Everything lined up perfectly.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The only diff. is the pre-adjusted height. I would just wait for your new spanner and talk to Toytec about it on Tues. But, if it is bugging you that bad and you can't wait swap sides.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I can wait, I just don't have the strength to to it, even with two guys, one one each wrench. And to tell you the truth, I have no faith in the spanner wrench they are sending. It's the same one.

If the spanners dont work can I use an air chisel? I don't have one, but can get one.

****, I thought these were easy to adjust, reading other people's post about them. Could mine be f'ed up? Toytec wasn't super helpful on the phone, but that's not here nor there. They told me since it's been installed, they couldn't take it back if in fact there is a problem. ughhhh.

Thanks for the help, Memphis and Junkie.

·
Registered
499 Posts
"remember a half inch of adjustment on the collar will give 1 inch of lift and hold the big collar and spin the small one With the rig on stands and the tires and swaybar off. never try to adjust em on the ground." This is a quote from FunJunkie in a pm.

Have you tried spraying some wd-40 on them? Seems like it should be easy to adjust them but you are getting me worried and hoping I never need to adjust mine. Sorry you're having problems and I hope it gets worked out. I would ask Toytec about the air chisel sounds dangerous to me.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did ask Toytec about the air chisel. He said if I can't get it to move otherwise, give it a shot.

I'll try some WD-40 after the new stuff has settled some.

I really hope Toytec takes care of this issue if it is indeed a serious issue.

And to anyone looking into these coilovers, don't let this little hitch deter you. They are great. The ride on road is so nice and the stance is killer. I recieved 3 "thumbs up" from 2 jeeps and an F-150 yesterday.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I recieved I think one of the first 6 or 7,I it still has the lean..Toytec sent out wrong spanner for bottom(which they took care of right away) but trying another method I could not get my drivers to budge,I have yet to try with the right spanner. Even with the lean happy as hell with the ride.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yeah, mine leans too. But as noted above, I put the one for the right on the left and vice versa (in the front). Not that it matters, though.

Funny thing is, I have a full inch of lean in the back. Leans hard to the left. hopefully it settles some and I get the new spanner wrench to lift the front left a little.

If the rear doesn't level out, is there a rear spacer I can use?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Yeah, mine leans too. But as noted above, I put the one for the right on the left and vice versa (in the front). Not that it matters, though.

Funny thing is, I have a full inch of lean in the back. Leans hard to the left. hopefully it settles some and I get the new spanner wrench to lift the front left a little.

If the rear doesn't level out, is there a rear spacer I can use?
I noticed lately I also have a left rear lean. I've been wondering about a spacer myself I've hade OME mediums on it for awhile Mabey a heavy spring on the left side???. As for the OP on adjusting, I really dont know, I wish I lived near you. one easy fix would be to get a spring compressor from sears and crank the spring to relieve the load on the collar and then spin it, if it's still stuck you defnitly got an issue, mabey with the threads. As for using wd40 on it, I thought about that too with mine but then I decided not to because I thought it would leave the threads lubed which might cause trouble down the road wit vibrratins and shifting, I dunno, just my brain goin overtime. I did have a bit of a hard time adjusting mine but I did it alone with my foot on the cast iron spanner and a jack handle on the bottom thinner wrench. I turned it less than a quarter turn each time but after an hour I was done and happy.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I noticed lately I also have a left rear lean. I've been wondering about a spacer myself I've hade OME mediums on it for awhile Mabey a heavy spring on the left side???. As for the OP on adjusting, I really dont know, I wish I lived near you. one easy fix would be to get a spring compressor from sears and crank the spring to relieve the load on the collar and then spin it, if it's still stuck you defnitly got an issue, mabey with the threads. As for using wd40 on it, I thought about that too with mine but then I decided not to because I thought it would leave the threads lubed which might cause trouble down the road wit vibrratins and shifting, I dunno, just my brain goin overtime. I did have a bit of a hard time adjusting mine but I did it alone with my foot on the cast iron spanner and a jack handle on the bottom thinner wrench. I turned it less than a quarter turn each time but after an hour I was done and happy.

That's exactly what I did, but with two people. One person on top wrench, one on bottom with breaker bar. Stripped. Oh well. There sending me a new wrench. I'll update once I try again.

Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts