Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have anything yet installed to get an exact measure, but using many of the hypermiling techniques, I've realized very significant improvements in my gas mileage.

I've extended my normal weekly use of my FJ's tank by almost an additional week. I have a regular commute as well, so it's consistent base to measure by.

Treating the FJ with finese (not gunning it off the line, slower accel, etc.), coasting at every possible opportunity, etc....all told, I've found if you're concentrating on these techniques, it does wonders for your gas mileage.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I don't have anything yet installed to get an exact measure, but using many of the hypermiling techniques, I've realized very significant improvements in my gas mileage.

I've extended my normal weekly use of my FJ's tank by almost an additional week. I have a regular commute as well, so it's consistent base to measure by.

Treating the FJ with finese (not gunning it off the line, slower accel, etc.), coasting at every possible opportunity, etc....all told, I've found if you're concentrating on these techniques, it does wonders for your gas mileage.

Thoughts?

I agree with these techniques, so far I've managed to squeeze out another 50 miles from my tank just my using peddle control. I just started using the coasting technique and so far I've noticed a few extra miles achived.

Whats the total miles you get from you tank?

·
Registered
831 Posts
ya i have started to coast as much as possible i was about to get 300 miles per tank which would be the most ever untill i had to floor it a couple times but ill still end up with 18 mpg all town and country roads no highway.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Best tank was 305 driving from San Jose to LA. Have been using the "lighter side of driving" and it has helped stretch the tank. Gas light been coming on at 265 - 275 with my 33" BFGs and 3" Revtech lift. 70/30 Hwy/Street

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I've been getting 320 per tank, but I'm stocked so pretty sure that number will fall when a lift and armor are added.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with these techniques, so far I've managed to squeeze out another 50 miles from my tank just my using peddle control. I just started using the coasting technique and so far I've noticed a few extra miles achived.

Whats the total miles you get from you tank?
I need to track that better. When I fill this next one up, that will be my next project.

But yeah, it's interesting that we see these results when you consider that there are all kinds of teckie "solutions" which cost money and add less mpg than simply changing your driving behavior.

I almost forgot:

'08 FJ, 4wd auto, convenience, and offroad package

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Probalby the best gas mileage I got was about 18.5 mpg, could probably squeeze 310mile on a full tank.:bandit:

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
My best tank was 379.4 miles. All smiles for me.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey! how 'bout a mast and sail? Or the always reliable AND environmentally-friendly "Flintstone" method of propulsion. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I was recently able to increase my mileage from ~15.5 mpg to about 17.8 mpg by focusing on slow acceleration, avoiding braking and coasting when possible. See list of mods below.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I didn't click on the link and have no intention to do so

However, if I drive my FJ gently, at 100 km/h I usually get 25 miles per Imperial gallon. If I drive where the posted speed limit is 90 km/h, that jumps to 28 miles per Imperial gallon.

There are a few roads in NW Ontario where the posted speed limit is 80 km/h. At those speeds, my FJ will usually average 30-32 miles per Imperial gallon. Of course, at 80 km/h my Prius will easily get 75 miles per Imperial gallon

A lot of folks are whining about how much it costs to fill the tank. Gas here is $1.36 a litre, or $5.14 a US gallon. The same folks who are whining about the price of unleaded are still flying past me on the Trans Canada

·
Registered
146 Posts
IMHO I agree with the OP, driving techniques has a lot to do with MPG.

My experience:

When i first got my FJ i was driving it like my old civic I used to have which is 80-85mph on Hwy and some what moderate accelaration in the city from light to light. Result: 16-17mpg. After that i started to cruise about 70-75mpg on Hwy and easing off the acceleration on the city streets. Results: 18-19mpg. Then what amazed me, I started cruising 60-65mph on the Hwy and coasted and did all that gas saving stuff and Result: 20-20.5mpg. What amazed me even more is when I took off my roof rack with the snowboard attachments and got a mind blowing 22-23.5mph:rocker::clap: :rocker:about 80% hwy and 20% city.

I am using 91 octane:mecry:. Method of calculationg MPG's. Filling up tank. Resetting trip to Zero. Drive until gas light comes on and refill the tank. Take the miles driven on the Tripometer and divide by the gallons poured into the tank to refill at full. Light comes on at around 325mile on the tripometer. Estimated if driven to empty: 360-380miles/tank?

My FJ is mostly stock. Mods are TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Bumper lights, and about a hundred pounds of weight in the back.

Very happy with results.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts