Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i saw something interesting yesterday a chevy 4X4..... it had a gear vendors overdrive on the transmission.....the overdrive was attached where the tailshaft on the transmission was/used to be and the overdrive was attached there....the owner said he was getting around 12 mpg before and now he is getting 17mpg after the install.....well does any body no anything about them/gear vendors????do they make one for the FJ???? i think it would be cool to add a overdrive like on the old series land rovers.....will investigate futher.....oh ya the owner said the gearvendors overdrive set him back about $1500 bucks.......RR

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You want it to lug and chug around 1200-1500 rpm at highway speeds?
i dont think it works that way....it is actually a gear splitter and a overdrive....the guy with the chevy said he could electronicaly via thumb switch choose to engage it in whatever gear he was in....he had a 4 speed auto tranny and this gearvendor overdrive gave him the option to turn the transmission into a 8 speed!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have one on my f250 4x4manual trans and its great. Its nice when your pulling a load. I think that price was a little on the low side thou.They have a pretty good web site with lots of info.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Actually, Gear Vendors have a very good, proven reputation. Although their products are pricey - I think your figure is a bit low I've heard +$2,500 - they are very durable

The biggest gain to be had with their under/over adapter is an older application, a non-lockup 3 speed automatic transmission. Say an older motorhome chassis with a TH400, 727, or C6 auto trans, especially if 4.10 and deeper axle ratio is used

At 55 mph, it isn't unusual for such a rig to have 2,200 RPM, even 2,600 RPM depending on axle ratio and tire size. If you can have the GV unit bring that down to 1,700-2,000 - assuming the motor isn't lugging and straining - you really can gain that much fuel economy

Not sure if we stand to gain that much with our FJ though. It already has a 5 spd auto, with 5th being overdrive. It's usually under 2,000 RPM unless you're going over 70-75 mph

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
At highways speeds in top gear the 5AT is running a 2.66 effective final drive ratio (3.72 RAR x 0.716 OD). The 6MT is running a 3.12 effective final drive ratio (3.91 RAR x 0.799 OD).

I not sure you'd want to go much lower than the 2.66 for the 5AT, unless you were running a turbo diesel and could lug it at 1,400-1,500 rpms on the highway. The 6MT might benefit but the payoff would be light years away.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes after reading the web site i would have to put this mod in the same category as a super charger....but you gotta ask your self.... do i really need a overdrive/supercharger..........RR:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts