Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully some can give me some advice on indash nav systems. After 5 years of owning my FJ I have finally decided to do a full blown stereo system. I'm a huge fan of stock or stock appearing HU. I have researched to death and really wanted to go with one of the stock toyota navs but they have been a bit high until recently.

So, heres my questions and delima's .
Currently I have a stock Scion Nav system,Alpine sns-100 HU . Works fine but not real pleased with how it looks in the dash.
I have just purchased a Toyota nav from ebay but dont know if it's a E7003 or and E7001 .Wont know till it gets here.
After reading on here for hours I'm starting to doubt that purchase as well. Seems I might be a few years behind on it.

So, I am doing a complete system with amps and I have an audio control LC7 to integrate the factory HU. But it seems the more I read the more involved this swap is going to be , especially if it's from the JBL system .Theres also no bluetooth but I have a parrot uint and there in lies even more wiring nightmares.

So, is the E7001/3 going to be worth the hassle ? Or should I step up and just get a new pioneer or the rosen units I see ?
Thanks for any advice. Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
My .02 would be to just get a new Pioneer/Alpine/whatever that has all the widgets you want. Of course that assumes you have the cubic dinero to purchase yet ANOTHER head unit after your first two tries. If money isn't the issue, don't settle just because it may (or may not) have the most OEM look. That's what I am saying.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Hopefully some can give me some advice on indash nav systems. After 5 years of owning my FJ I have finally decided to do a full blown stereo system. I'm a huge fan of stock or stock appearing HU. I have researched to death and really wanted to go with one of the stock toyota navs but they have been a bit high until recently.

So, heres my questions and delima's .
Currently I have a stock Scion Nav system,Alpine sns-100 HU . Works fine but not real pleased with how it looks in the dash.
I have just purchased a Toyota nav from ebay but dont know if it's a E7003 or and E7001 .Wont know till it gets here.
After reading on here for hours I'm starting to doubt that purchase as well. Seems I might be a few years behind on it.

So, I am doing a complete system with amps and I have an audio control LC7 to integrate the factory HU. But it seems the more I read the more involved this swap is going to be , especially if it's from the JBL system .Theres also no bluetooth but I have a parrot uint and there in lies even more wiring nightmares.

So, is the E7001/3 going to be worth the hassle ? Or should I step up and just get a new pioneer or the rosen units I see ?
Thanks for any advice. Jerry
The E7001 is a challenge to install. You need a JBL (digital) amplifier and custom made wiring harness from the amplifier to the navi unit.

The E7003 is analog and the needed amplifier or similar amp from Tundra/Sequoia) comes with built-in wiring harness to connect it to the navi unit.

If you really want the OEM look, get the E7019 with built-in amplifier and will accept the 6-pin/10-pin FJ wiring harness. Steering wheel control is preserved too.

or get this AISIN Navigation unit, aftermarket for FJ Cruiser in Canada.

OEM Toyota FJ Cruiser Multimedia Navigation Bluetooth - eBay (item 350428228629 end time Jan-11-11 08:36:36 PST)

If you are only in the Bay Area, I can build you a kit and will install it for free. In the kit, I added/integrated the Parrot Bluettoh MKi9100, Eclipse BEC 10x reverse camera.

Good luck on your quest for OEM Nav and installation.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I can definitely sell these two and make a decent chunk of change back if need be but I am kinda hoping the toyota one will work out.

Since I plan on using amps , wouldnt it be possible to just come out of the hu and go straight to the LC7 ? I dont think I will need the toyota amp inline .
This is what I will be using http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/17612/250786/OEM-Integration/Line-Output-Converter-with-Auxiliary-Input----LC7.html
My other question is , with the Scion unit it uses the same nav setup as the toyota units. I like it but I hate only having the nav screen to look at all the time.
Are there different screens with the toyota units ? If there are with the scion one, I certainty cant find it.
Are the e7001 or e7003 units outdated at this point ? I love the look of the link posted but it's a bit out of my price range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have an E7003 Nav unit for sale? I have an 03 Sequoia with the analog JBL amp, an would like to install this. Not a fan of bluetooth and ipods so i dont need all the extras of the new radios.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Rosen unit would be by far the easiest to install - there is literally nothing you need to do except mount the GPS antenna. There is no VSS wire to attach (or there is one in the OEM harness that I am not aware of) and you can leave the brake wire alone (i.e. not connect it to anything) becasue you can just turn off the video disable feature in the menu on the unit.

I was going to put the antenna under the plastic faux hood scoop, had all 10 bolts out but was having trouble prying it off. Stopped, did a search here and saw NDA431FJ's post that there are 7 clips that WILL break when you take it off. It was Sat and the dealer had just closed so I changed plans and put it behind the passenger dash tweeter on the metal. I get full strength signal all the time so far. There is enough room to bundle up all the extra cord there too so it is not behind the dash with all of the other wires.

It has an available RCA output (5.1 surround) adapter, back-up camera adapter, rear sonar system adapter if you do not have one, Ipod, XM, Tire Pressure system, etc. Pretty much a complete package of add-ons.

The user interface is ok, about like Kenwood, not as nice as Pioneer. For the most part it is a decent system. It is a little clunky here and there, but I have no extensive use of any other system to compare it with (just quick store demos). It spells tire as Tyre and Color as Colour, so it makes me think this was developed outside the US and re-branded by Rosen.

One thing I like is that the steering wheel controls are programmable to be whatever you want, so I just made my mode button a bluetooth answer button since I would never use the mode button anyway. Now I can pick-up with my thumb and the call disconnects when the other person hands up anyway.

The GPS works pretty well - it does not speak street names, but does indicate to take the "next right" and its positioning is accurate so you are actually taking the proper turn. I have not been in any tricky places yet, so we will see how it goes then.

The sound is very good from the unit. When I first turned it on I was playing around and turned on the 5.1 surround sound feature. Without my realizing it this turned off the rear speakers since I do not have any processor installed, but the sound in front was so much better that I thought the subwoofer was still on. There was a ton more low-end response from those 6X9's. I only figured it out when I playing a song with some deep bass notes and I was also testing the sub on/off button. I could not hear any difference and that is when I stuck my head in the rear and found out there were no rear speakers playing. This also proves those rear D-Pillars are pretty much worthless from the driver position.

Overall I am satisfied. At $1500 I would have retuned it in a heartbeat, but at $700 it is worth keeping (mine was a Christmas gift anyway) - I wanted a stock look and outside of a true OEM unit this is all there is. By the way the fit is 100% perfect in the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts