Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We didn't hear anything back about the montrose run...

pictures?

difficulty?

how was it?

would you do it again?

It might be hard getting first hand knowledge since only like 5 rigs went.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It was actually only two of us in IFS FJCs. 3, if you count MadDog. And 3 more buggies from Rockworx, one being Craig our guide.

We did Die Trying and it was definitely EXTREME! Myself and the other IFS FJ got in about 100 yards then parked and just enjoyed the rest of the time hiking and watching MadDog get though.

This trail was more than a well equipped FJC on 35s can handle, but I am glad we went. If we decided to go the whole trail I am sure we would have had lots of body damage (even MadDog got dinged up quite a bit) and it would have been a long day. Trail is only 1 1/8mile long and we would have been doing most of the trail 80ft at a time with the winch.

Next time I think we might try and run topless, still extreme but our guide thought he could get us through it. We opted to not do it because one of the FJs was so heavy on top with the roof top tent and clearance from above would have been an issue on that trail.

Anyways a few photos (already posted elsewhere but oh well):

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. People wanted harder trails, so I guess those delivered.

·
Registered
422 Posts
THis was truely a great trail, It was a blast! I would say comprable to Wrecking ball at the Hammers. THose are some good pictures, THe trail actually got harder after those were taken and I was too busy to use my camera. Thanks for taking the pics and for the encouragement.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
There are a couple of trails in Montrose that an IFS FJ could do without fear of damage. Die Trying is not one of them. There are also trails there that are far worse than the previously mentioned trail.

Jim

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
There are a couple of trails in Montrose that an IFS FJ could do without fear of damage. Die Trying is not one of them. There are also trails there that are far worse than the previously mentioned trail.

Jim
Please make a suggestion to the summit crew.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I'll talk to the guy who owns the 4 wheel drive shop here in Crested Butte. He had previously told me about the Montrose trails that an IFS FJ could do without fear of much damage, but I don't recall which ones they were. He's done all the trails there numerous times and is familiar with the capabilities of what an FJ can do. I'll post back after I visit further with him.

Jim

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
If you guys add a trail that IFS, 3" and 33" can handle, I will do it next year for sure.

Nice shots, FJinCO. Thanks for sharing. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
422 Posts

Jim
If some of you would like ,I would love to lead some of these trails next year.I think there may need to be some minimums. IFS is ok but I would say locked front and back and 35's minimum. Otherwise we might as well stay in Ouray.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
You need to come to AZ... there are some trails which are perfect for groups that are mixed IFS-type vehicles and insane rigs like yours. We can barely get through the easier stuff, you can play on the big stuff.

And it's nice to have a bigger rig in the group for when we screw up the easy stuff... :lol:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
If some of you would like ,I would love to lead some of these trails next year.I think there may need to be some minimums. IFS is ok but I would say locked front and back and 35's minimum. Otherwise we might as well stay in Ouray.
Wow, I guess it'll be a few years for me then....not going to be able to mod like that for a while. Perhaps I could bribe someone with good beer to ride shotgun....we'll see.

....screw up the easy stuff
you and the phrase "screw up the easy stuff" seem odd being in the same sentence for some reason. :lol: ...must be some pretty wicked terrain.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You need to come to AZ... there are some trails which are perfect for groups that are mixed IFS-type vehicles and insane rigs like yours. We can barely get through the easier stuff, you can play on the big stuff.

And it's nice to have a bigger rig in the group for when we screw up the easy stuff... :lol:

Thats a cool Pic. I'm in Tucson every once in a while, let me know when your next run is and maybe I can bring the trailer.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you and the phrase "screw up the easy stuff" seem odd being in the same sentence for some reason. :lol: ...must be some pretty wicked terrain.
Yeah, you are taking that quote from a guy who's first reaction to seeing the rolled FJ at the summit was, "that's all that happened when he rolled it... hmm, that's not so bad".

Now tibaal is going to be rolling his left and right.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
hopefully, it would only be 'left OR right'...cause 'left AND right' would be far worse with the relatively wimpy roof of the FJC without an added roll cage :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts