Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was calling around to local dealers looking to see if any of them had any new info on the FJ and found a few that I will never deal with. Quite a few told me outright that they will inflate the price about 3k over MSRP.

Blah.

On my last call, I found a dealer that has ownership that flatly refuses to sell over MSRP because that is '"not how we do business and it would be unethical'". So I ask how many are on thier list, I would be #2. Awesome, so I drive over talk with them and put down a refundable deposit and am now #2 on thier list.

As we are doing the paperwork, the salesguy leaves me to get something and comes back with an email in his hand that states the deadline for placing initial orders is on 24-Jan-06.

Now how this works, I am unsure. I'm guessing that from the initial order lists nationaly compiled from the 24th are then used to prioritze where the new vehicles arrving at the ports would go trying to match up your prefferences with that they have on hand (based on pre-orders)?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

(Is it March yet?)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
smartdog said:
I was calling around to local dealers looking to see if any of them had any new info on the FJ and found a few that I will never deal with. Quite a few told me outright that they will inflate the price about 3k over MSRP.

Blah.

On my last call, I found a dealer that has ownership that flatly refuses to sell over MSRP because that is '"not how we do business and it would be unethical'". So I ask how many are on thier list, I would be #2. Awesome, so I drive over talk with them and put down a refundable deposit and am now #2 on thier list.

As we are doing the paperwork, the salesguy leaves me to get something and comes back with an email in his hand that states the deadline for placing initial orders is on 24-Jan-06.

Now how this works, I am unsure. I'm guessing that from the initial order lists nationaly compiled from the 24th are then used to prioritze where the new vehicles arrving at the ports would go trying to match up your prefferences with that they have on hand (based on pre-orders)?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

(Is it March yet?)
Which dealer in Mass are you going with???

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like you are good to go on finding the dealer selling at MSRP. But just to be sure, double check with them to make sure you do not have to buy anything else unless you want to. Some dealers will tell you they'll sell you at MSRP to get you in the dealership but once you are there, you'll find out you "have" to buy some outrageously inflated accessories or warranty or whatever... (the craziest one I have personally seen is $8995 for some nasty looking chrome wheels on a G35 coupe when they first came out :eek:, not to mention those wheels look like they were 100 lbs a piece with the wrong offset and the size of the tires were wrong too :mad: )

·
Registered
650 Posts
For Canada, initial pre-order deadline is suppose to be Jan 09...

·
Registered
151 Posts
wakesurfboy said:
For Canada, initial pre-order deadline is suppose to be Jan 09...
My dealer said the same thing, but it seems like their usual BS and I don't think we (canucks) would have any problems getting our FJ's. Here is why:
- there are just a few of us on this forums who know about
FJ and want it badly
- there is zero advertisement on TV/papers
- toyota.ca is still showing FJ as a concept vehicle, I quote "...Power is supplied by a 3.4-litre V6 engine equipped with a Toyota Racing Development (TRD) supercharger that creates 250-horsepower. The engine is paired with a four-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel-drive with low range...."
:)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fjsmurf said:
Sounds like you are good to go on finding the dealer selling at MSRP. But just to be sure, double check with them to make sure you do not have to buy anything else unless you want to. Some dealers will tell you they'll sell you at MSRP to get you in the dealership but once you are there, you'll find out you "have" to buy some outrageously inflated accessories or warranty or whatever... (the craziest one I have personally seen is $8995 for some nasty looking chrome wheels on a G35 coupe when they first came out :eek:, not to mention those wheels look like they were 100 lbs a piece with the wrong offset and the size of the tires were wrong too :mad: )

From what I have heard about the dealer I have chosen to go with is that they are a straight shooter. And if they do try to pull any funny stuff, I will walk and get my money back.

I will not be pressured, intimidated or scammed.

I told the dealer that told me to my face that they would be marking up 3k from MSRP that I was not interested. He then told me (as I was about to leave) he doubted anyone would sell at MSRP becuase there would be only 20k FJ's produced, and there are 72 toyota delaerships alone in Mass, thus hinting that there would be a supply issue.

Now comes the funny part. As the manager and I were chatting, a few of the sales peeps drifted into the office, I guess their ears were perked when they heard me ask about the FJ. They were all saying 'yeah there are not gonna be alot of these...you wont be able to find one cus of the limited number to be produced, and if you do it will be marked up from MSRP' blah blah blah

I smiled, listened to them and let them finish. I then politely informed him and the sales people present that I had found several delears willing to deal at MSRP and that Toyota was going to produce 40k-60k FJ's this year. The managers respose was 'Really?'.

Curiously, all the sales people left after I said that. :rolleyes:

I thanked him for his time and left.

Knowledge is power - wield it wisely.

Is it March yet....?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
right on smartdog - you put the smart in dog.

that's the best tool a consumer has in a dealership - getting out of the chair and walking out while maintaining your composure. i dont think the salesmen have even had their "training" on the FJ yet and it seems only a few fleet managers know the slightest thing about this vehicle - at that i think the few who do know are regulars on this board. if you live in their areas it'd be wise to purchase from their dealerships - IMO. i finally found my dealership - fremont toyota, in the bay area.

now.....when do accessory prices come out? who'll be the first to break that story on here??

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
caliFJ said:
right on smartdog - you put the smart in dog.

that's the best tool a consumer has in a dealership - getting out of the chair and walking out while maintaining your composure.
Thanks CaliFJ - I appreciate the compliment! :)

We work hard for our money and I think considering that this is the second largest purchase people usually make (Vehicle #2, House #1) that you have to be informed, and stick to your guns.

caliFJ said:
now.....when do accessory prices come out? who'll be the first to break that story on here??
I remember reading the post by Good Times (Kudos to you dude!) that the option pricing should be available starting today 09-Jan-06. That would fall in line I think with the 24-Jan-06 pre order cut off date. Now we just gotta wait and see...who's gonna break that news?

Everytime I log on here I learn something new!!

(Every day that passes...we get closer to March)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts