Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my driver side tie rod is shot so its time to replace both sides. Found some aftermarket outer rods however, I cant find the inners. Some threads here mentioned the release of Moog inner tie rods. Anyone know if thats a reality? Or an affordable alternative?

Tie Rods & Components - Auto Parts Warehouse

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I just ordered a set of the moogs, these are the best alternative to oem, i ordered them from rockauto and got them in a day shipping. Will be installing them this week.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you get a set of these? Also do you think they would screw into the outer rods without problems?

I just ordered a set of the moogs, these are the best alternative to oem, i ordered them from rockauto and got them in a day shipping. Will be installing them this week.
$71 seems a little steep for these, especially since the others are around $30. Any way you can snap a pic?

RockAuto Parts Catalog

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I don't have a set of these. I just did a google search and that's what popped up. I wouldn't see any reason they wouldn't work. Good luck on your search. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
$71 seems a little steep for these, especially since the others are around $30. Any way you can snap a pic?

RockAuto Parts Catalog
here is a pic of em, one cool thing was they're black compared to the stock silver inner tie rod ends.

they may be a little pricey, but not as much as OEM inner tie rod ends, and I've had many fj people tell me moog parts are good quality parts and they are made in korea. I wouldn't want to spend 30 bucks on a cheaper made inner tie rod end only to have it fail on the trail and have no steering. With these, I also ordered the Deeza outer tie rod ends which are cool because they have greasable zerks!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Moog does make good stuff. I have their ball joints in my Camburg UCAs. They look exactly like factory but also have a zerk in them. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Are these as simple as just screw them in? I assume you need to make some length adjustment relative to the outer end?

I paid to have the eom installed last spring, totally got screwed $160 each plus the install total bill was like $550.

I'd like to install these myself next time.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I've just put in Napa brand inners. As you can see the shaft is actually stronger "looking" then stock. Doesn't taper as early as stock.

I would suggest you do both inner and outer at the same time.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Forgot to mention its made in Japan. Part# 269-3301.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just put in Napa brand inners. As you can see the shaft is actually stronger "looking" then stock. Doesn't taper as early as stock.

I would suggest you do both inner and outer at the same time.
I went by Napa the other day and the guy said they didnt carry inner tie rods for the FJ. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
DoWork, it may have been listed under 4R. It's on my FJ now and it's working great!

·
Registered
932 Posts
You should use a specialty tool to install the inners, however it can be done with a pipe wrench in a pinch. Whatever you do make sure you use a lot of lock tite on the inner tie rod (WHERE THEY THREAD INTO THE RACK). Lastly you will have to have an alignment done.

What are you guys at mileage wise? I'm curious why so many of you need tie rods and what may be causing the wear.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I'm near 60,000 miles. The affected side is the side that I had hit a boulder in Sedona. The other side still looks pretty good. Frankly, I probably didn't need to change out both sides, but it wasn't that much more and it's good peace of mind.

Outters

1 - 20 of 28 Posts