Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently developing a headlight guard prototype. We need input and interests of our headlight guard and we would also like to see which way would work better for you. Would drill and bolt on to the bezel work better or something that would fit snug between the bezel and the headlight dome. Any positive input would be much appreciated. Thank You.
-Ivan :cheers:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I like the look, but I would prefer a way to secure it behind the bezel instead of having to drill through the bezel and having the screws heads exposed.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I like the idea. I would also add 2 more bars from side-to-side. And keep the 2 that are already existing. I would prefer to bolt them with a nut on the back side. I would make them in silver and black and maybe even white. Powder coated of course. To color match the grill.

What is the anticipated cost gonna be? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I think the center needs to be a fine mesh and should stay outside the Bezel onto the one piece grill panel. The rock guards that are put between the panel scratch the heck out of the plastic light assembly.

With the two bars across the section as you have shown really won't give any protection. Brush and rocks will bypass this and damage the lights. Stay to the outside and reduce the sizing of the bars mesh size.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
I'll chime in on this. Screws on the backside (agree with everyone else). Maybe instead of screws, a clip could be used on it that would fit into the backside of the bezel. Then the bezel pressure with the clips would keep it in place.

Maybe two vertical bars with the two horizontal bars? I'm just thinking of more protection of the headlight unit.

Ixnay on the pressure fit. I would hate to turn around on a dirt road to find my headlight protection!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Curious...

Looks like you've got (or are currently using) an Aeroflow behind it in your picture. Is your guard meant to replace or enhance?

If replace, why not design the attachment as a stamped/formed part that attaches with something like the duolocks?

If enhance, it seems that something too stout would end causing more damage than it prevents...

Definitely no drilling or fastening to the grill bezel. Any impact or protection gained from the guard would transfer the damaging forcing elsewhere.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for all your in put. We will take everything into consideration for our design and we hope we can make a product that can everyones wants, needs and tastes.:cheers: We are open to any more input from anyone. :bigthumb:
-Ivan

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I just can't go by the rules on this one. You said positive feedback but there is a negative that has to be pointed out.
That will not protect against anything but a 3 inch rock. You need a much finer grill than what you have there. You have to protect against the 1 inch stone and the 1/2 inch stone. Good luck with your product. .....:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I saw a similar product in a jeep catalog and thought about doin' a set. I think these would protect somewhat from brush on the sides of trails.
My bumper's bullbars wrap the headlights and turn signals effectively serving the same purpose.

I really like the looks of these though.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

:bigthumb:

-

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Ideally the two or four bars for looks and strength and then a screen tacked to the insides of the bars to really protect from flying debris that is not often larger 1/2 inch. And a negatory on the drilling through the bezel.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Vince. Thanks for making that picture. That is exactly what I was saying:bigthumb:

·
RIP Tim
885 Posts
I agree, Hide the mounting screws, no one wants to drill in the face of the bezel and have the heads showing, also make the covers similar to PIAA 520's..that look would be sweet

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
For real protection while off-roading, which is usually done during daylight, why not just make a guard of some sort that completely covers the entire headlight lens? It's not like you actually need the headlights to work during daylight hours anyway. When heading back on-road or for night driving, just pop them off. I don't see the point in a headlight guard that restricts the performance of the headlight and also doesn't really give you much protection (like those open-bar designs shown so far). Adding screen would make the lights nearly ineffectual at night, so why not just block them off completely?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts