Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Insane Audio FJ1002 - updated

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  LA2BB 
#1 ·
The old FJ1001 was really getting dated but they just released the FJ1002 which is completely updated. I know it is on the pricey side ($999) but seems capable and can be customized (Andriod). Customized just for FJ. OBDII preconfigured but customizable. Can run 2 cameras. BT phone and music. Supposedly dust, water and shock resistant. Etc.

I can't find any reviews out there. Does anyone here have any experience with this unit? It seems expensive but could it be worth the money?

#2 ·
I'd defer to @ZoSoIV, but I'm pretty sure there are much better options out there at that price point. Kenwood/Pioneer have amazing products and I think some can run the ScanGauge stuff too...

#5 ·
Ive got the FJ1002 installed into my 2012 FJ. There are pros and cons. So far the unit works well. It's easy to customize. You can control the color of the buttons. The engine spec app Torque is sweet and connects via Bluetooth. The touchscreen works great and you can customize the app layout. You can completely customize all of your steering wheel buttons. This is a really cool feature.

Some issues that I discovered: The unit doesn't connect to the factory back up camera. This was one of the main reasons why I got the unit. Insane Audio's response was "did we mention we sell a camera?". The factory USB/Audio In doesn't connect to unit. There is a mod you can do that will hook up only the USB for power purposes. This is fine because I use bluetooth to connect my phone anyway. The unit comes with a mic for talk which IA says it's superior to the factory unit. The mic was installed on the side pillar. People that I talk to on the phone have told me that they hear feedback at times. This never happened with the factory system. Also when calls come in, the factory system would switch over to the car mic/speakers. With the IA unit it will keep my phone on Speaker and have it coming through the car speakers. This is kinda annoying because I have to manually switch over while driving. Not the safest.

This is the first aftermarket stereo I have purchased for my FJ so I don't have any other brands / models to compare it to. There are things that I really like about it and other things that are 'meh' and a few other things that I'm bummed about.

If this was is truly a redesigned unit specifically for an FJ...how come so many things for it aren't plug and play?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.