Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a Oklahoma Osage game ranger told me about this stuff.... they sell at tractor supply in the horse/livestock section.....it is made by a company called Gordens farm products.....Permethrin-10.....it has a little measure cup on top of the 8 OZ bottle.....mix 1/4 OZ to Quart of water in a spray bottle and spray down your clothes you are going to wear the day before you are to be outdoors so they will be good and dry.....DO NOT SPRAY ON YOUR BODY.....i survived this years okla spring turkey season without on tick bite!...hopes this helps all you outdoor outings.....RR:bigthumb:

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
a Oklahoma Osage game ranger told me about this stuff.... they sell at tractor supply in the horse/livestock section.....it is made by a company called Gordens farm products.....Permethrin-10.....it has a little measure cup on top of the 8 OZ bottle.....mix 1/4 OZ to Quart of water in a spray bottle and spray down your clothes you are going to wear the day before you are to be outdoors so they will be good and dry.....DO NOT SPRAY ON YOUR BODY.....i survived this years okla spring turkey season without on tick bite!...hopes this helps all you outdoor outings.....RR:bigthumb:
Yeah, Permethrin is good stuff for keeping the ticks of and it works well. When doing field work in the Ouachita Mountains for several years, that was the repellant of choice for my crews. Although, you still have to wonder which is worse, wearing/exposing yourself to a powerful poison or picking off ticks...

Chiggers are another story. Something that works pretty well is to put a batch of sulfur powder in a sock or old pair of panty hose and powder your boots around your ankles and pant legs.

People up here where I live now get stupid looks on their faces when I recant horror stories about chiggers. They ask "what's a chigger?". :rofl: I certainly don't miss 'em!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Permethrin is good stuff for keeping the ticks of and it works well. When doing field work in the Ouachita Mountains for several years, that was the repellant of choice for my crews. Although, you still have to wonder which is worse, wearing/exposing yourself to a powerful poison or picking off ticks...

Chiggers are another story. Something that works pretty well is to put a batch of sulfur powder in a sock or old pair of panty hose and powder your boots around your ankles and pant legs.

People up here where I live now get stupid looks on their faces when I recant horror stories about chiggers. They ask "what's a chigger?". :rofl: I certainly don't miss 'em!
nothing like a BIG dose of chiggers around your underwear line to make you miserable for a week.....when you discover you have them....its to late...RR

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Awright stop it, I'm sitting here scratching just thinking about chigger hell.

I always seem to get infested somehow just in time for the heat of summer. I think I'd be willing to wear a stocking full of sulphur in my drawers if I thought it would work. :) That would probably serve as a pretty effective people repellent too, if you sweat enough.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Good tips--I did not know about the sulfur powder. Bathing ASAP after chigger exposure helps too. Last year my wife and I were smallmouth fising in the Ozarks--I had used liberal doses on Deep Woods Off from my knees down. We wrapped up our trip and headed back to the FJ. She walked up the river bed. I could hear a cold beer in the Engle screaming my name so I took a short cut through thick brush. It was literally chin high. I had no chigger bites from my knees down but was COVERED in bites from head to knee. The Off worked pretty well and may be less toxic than Permethrin.

Will the sulfur powder last most of the day or do you reapply frequently?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts