Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspired by san antonio FJ to do this mod from his post at http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7462.

So I started by unplugging the VSC and stripping the e-tape and cover to expose the wires.


Then I found access into the cabin through a removable grommit (careful I dropped it as it tends to pop out).


I cut the purple wire and spliced in 2 lengths of wire about 3 feet each and fed them through the hole. the backing you see in the hole is just the padding inside the cabin under the dash and can pull back easily.


I used a toggle switch as they are the easist to install, attach the wires and just drill a 1/2" hole then screw it in.


It's kind of hard to see here but I cut a small notch in the grommit before I replaced it so the wires could feed through. Clean up the wiring with some zip ties and some e-tape and you are all set. Let me know if you have any questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
If yours is an MT, I don't see how this would make much 'fun factor' difference on the street with 4-w always engaged unless I am missing something. Would be a nice option with a supercharger maybe :).

That rubber firewall grommet is nice for a subwoofer power feed also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
Only complaint on your install is that you used the same color wire for both leads. That could be quite a ***** to figure out for the next guy who gets your used truck. I'd like to see the look on the face of the Toyota tech guy, too! Funny stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
I.T. - same issue. You look at some rat's nest and think - WTF?

Excellent MOD! I like this one best so far. Does it turn off all the goodies, or just VSC?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noisycow said:
If yours is an MT, I don't see how this would make much 'fun factor' difference on the street with 4-w always engaged unless I am missing something. Would be a nice option with a supercharger maybe :).
No, mine is an AT so it does allow me to spin the tires when needed/wanted. I live in north florida and we have a lot of sand on the trails... I also grew up driving on dirt roads and it's really hard to sling mud on the person behind you when your tires wont come loose.

Percy said:
Only complaint on your install is that you used the same color wire for both leads. That could be quite a ***** to figure out for the next guy who gets your used truck. I'd like to see the look on the face of the Toyota tech guy, too! Funny stuff.
I thought of that but I was out of good wire at the house and didn't feel like buying another 25' roll. That said I can always use more..


thedude said:
i dont get it, why would you want to turn off vsc
Check out this tread for the pros and cons... http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7462
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
why would you use a differnt color wire? all your doing is interupting a circut with a switch, extending the circut into the cab same wire same color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
thedude said:
i dont get it, why would you want to turn off vsc
Coming from an off road racing background and being used to steering with my right foot i love this mod!! its fun to powerslide across a drylake at mach 2 with your hair on fire!!

Way to go, major props for this mod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,066 Posts
N7VDR said:
why would you use a differnt color wire? all your doing is interupting a circut with a switch, extending the circut into the cab same wire same color.
I was about to say the same. It's not a pos/neg deal.

If I had a complaint it would be that the wires need to be concealed, it looks a lil bit rigged.

Good job though. I love watching the progression of these mod ideas from concept to reality.

thedude said:
i dont get it, why would you want to turn off vsc
It's been thoroughly discussed, beaten to death, buried, dug up and beaten to death again, and discussed some more in the thread Osprey referenced... here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Ospreyguy said:
No, mine is an AT so it does allow me to spin the tires when needed/wanted. I live in north florida and we have a lot of sand on the trails... I also grew up driving on dirt roads and it's really hard to sling mud on the person behind you when your tires wont come loose.
Now I totally understand! Makes sense! :devil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ridge111 said:
If I had a complaint it would be that the wires need to be concealed, it looks a lil bit rigged.
I tried to wrap electrical tape around the wiring harness but large sections are attached to the body making it nearly impossible. I thought about opening it up and actually running the wiring through there but decided against it for obvious reasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FJCruiserSpecialist said:
Coming from an off road racing background and being used to steering with my right foot i love this mod!! its fun to powerslide across a drylake at mach 2 with your hair on fire!!

Way to go, major props for this mod.
Thanks! (It really is fun. :devil: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
So when you flip the switch you installed the VSC turns off, but you get all those error lights.

I noticed that when you put the FJ in 4-wheel high, the VSC turns off on it's own. Is there a way to trick the the VCS into thinking the 4-Wheel high is engaged so it will shut itself off, but you wouldn't get the additional error codes?
~C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cruzer said:
So when you flip the switch you installed the VSC turns off, but you get all those error lights.

I noticed that when you put the FJ in 4-wheel high, the VSC turns off on it's own. Is there a way to trick the the VCS into thinking the 4-Wheel high is engaged so it will shut itself off, but you wouldn't get the additional error codes?
~C
I really wouldn't call them error lights only indication lights that it is off. Much like the 4WD or locked diff lights...
 
1 - 20 of 381 Posts
Top