Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

361 - 380 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
164 Posts
Waaaaaaait a minute... Do you all know that at least the 2014 FJ's have a wayto turn VSC off built in? I'm sure you're all aware of the built in traction control on/off button thing, right? Well when I first got my FJ I was trying to figure everything out and so I figured out that if you come to a complete stop and then take traction control off, so the trac off light is on and then WHILE AT A COMPLETE STOP you push and hold the traction control button in again, after already pushing it once to take traction control off, after a little while the traction control off light blinks out, and then immediately afterwards (while you are STILL HOLDING THE BUTTON DOWN) the VSC off and traction control off lights both come on, and you have turned off VSC!

Is this just a 2010-2014 thing or what, cause I see all you doing this mod, but you can just push and hold the button while at a complete stop after already pressing it to take off traction control...

·
Registered
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
164 Posts
Ah, I didn't see that anywhere, but it makes a lot more sense and I didn't want a bunch of people to needlessly do this mod. Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Kind of new and late to this thread.
After reading this thread I was kind of pissed that I wouldn't be able to teach my son (just got his license last week) the art of a nice power slide in an empty snow filled parking lot this winter because of my idiot proof traction control. By the time the thread caught up to 2013 I realized my 2013 TT has the TACT button that I've messed with in past but never held it down. So like any fun seeker, I held it down and the VSC and TRAC lights came on and I proceeded to tear up a dirt lot by my work. While my poor co-worker in his 07 tried and couldn't get the the dirt flying like mine. I had to explain to him why and then I had to explain to him he needs to get on the FJ Cruiser Forum for all the answers.
I'm glad Toy made the right changes to the new FJ's know what the owners would want in a true off road truck.

Crazy that some ppl would buy the FJ and be worried about traction control and disabling it? When I was a kid growing up I never had a car with traction control and that was OK with me. If I wanted street performance, the traction control would be a must.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've read through most of the VSC off posts on here now, and I havent been able find a post relating to any 07 where the factory VSC off switch wiring was present... From most of the posts i've found everyone seems to say the 2007 FJ's dont have this ability or factory wiring, but everything i'm seeing on my truck says otherwise... Disclaimer- I'm talking about my truck and gambling my money, your truck is probably different and your money should be saved until you confirm this will work on your ride for yourself...

I found a wire loom/connector on my FJ behind one of the blank switch spots (top left location, in front of the center console), that has a connector to hook up to the VSC off switch. After looking looking through an FJ Electrical diagram and double checking colors of wires, all signs lead to my truck being ready to accept the VSC off switch from the newer FJ's without any additional wiring. its a 2007, Auto, with diff lock and ATrac.

I assume my application (void of any splicing or wire hacks) will require shutting down and restarting to reset after turning the VSC off with said factory switch.?. but that works for me considering in theory, i'll be able to just plug the switch in and turn the parental controls off. I'm confident enough to order the switch, so i guess we'll see how it goes. I'll be sure to post my results

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
I've read through most of the VSC off posts on here now, and I havent been able find a post relating to any 07 where the factory VSC off switch wiring was present... From most of the posts i've found everyone seems to say the 2007 FJ's dont have this ability or factory wiring, but everything i'm seeing on my truck says otherwise... Disclaimer- I'm talking about my truck and gambling my money, your truck is probably different and your money should be saved until you confirm this will work on your ride for yourself...

I found a wire loom/connector on my FJ behind one of the blank switch spots (top left location, in front of the center console), that has a connector to hook up to the VSC off switch. After looking looking through an FJ Electrical diagram and double checking colors of wires, all signs lead to my truck being ready to accept the VSC off switch from the newer FJ's without any additional wiring. its a 2007, Auto, with diff lock and ATrac.

I assume my application (void of any splicing or wire hacks) will require shutting down and restarting to reset after turning the VSC off with said factory switch.?. but that works for me considering in theory, i'll be able to just plug the switch in and turn the parental controls off. I'm confident enough to order the switch, so i guess we'll see how it goes. I'll be sure to post my results
Are you sure the switch plug you have is for VSC and not another one like aux light package?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you sure the switch plug you have is for VSC and not another one like aux light package?
here's a picture on the plug, 6 pin slots with only 4 pins being used.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=655746&thumb=1

and here's the electrical diagram that helped me to come to this conclusion, http://www.brockandbecca.com/files/fj/FJ_Electrical.pdf

page #42-E3 shows the location i found the plug

Page #121 show the switch illumination wire colors (white/green and green)

Page #188 shows the traction control switch wire colors, right next to the A-trac switch (red/light blue and white/black)

like i said, i dont know for sure, but its enough for me to buy the switch and try it...

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Soo... Just to jump in here, I have the factory switch and came across the recent activity in this thread so I jumped in the fj popped out the blanks and tried it.

No luck :mecry:

I have 2 wiring harness plugged into blanks, one being the top most left and the other being the top most right. The left harness fit but did not activate anything and the right harness didn't even fit. :frown

Well my hopes were crushed and I will be working on wiring it up eventually, once I figure out how the f**k to do it the way I want...

·
Registered
1 Posts
here's a picture on the plug, 6 pin slots with only 4 pins being used.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=655746&thumb=1

and here's the electrical diagram that helped me to come to this conclusion, http://www.brockandbecca.com/files/fj/FJ_Electrical.pdf

page #42-E3 shows the location i found the plug

Page #121 show the switch illumination wire colors (white/green and green)

Page #188 shows the traction control switch wire colors, right next to the A-trac switch (red/light blue and white/black)

like i said, i dont know for sure, but its enough for me to buy the switch and try it...
Mine has the same plug and wires, did the switch work once installed?

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,895 Posts
This will only work if you have Toyotas Electric Locking rear diff.

This is how I switched my VSC.
First you need to cut back the electrical tape around the wire harness leading to the CPU

Once you have the protective tape pulled back locate the small blue wire with the yellow stripe and gray cross lines.

Cut this wire and add a long lead to each end. Run these wires through the fire wall with a grommet. Determine were you want your switch and attach the wires to the switch.

I used a cheep generic switch that I bought at an auto store. Do not ground the switch to illuminate the switch light. When I did this the rear locker light was half illuminated.
This switch will turn off the VSC and ABS at the same time ( lights that come on are ABS, VSC off, and Squiggly car). You are able to turn it back on at any time and do not have to cycle the engine.
If you do this mod you are responsible for your own actions. I am posting this only to let people know what I did. I am not responsible for your actions and what you do to your vehicle.

I would like to thank original poster of the pics that I stole to make my post.
I have an open switch in my FJ right now... So tempted to do this mod!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
This will only work if you have Toyotas Electric Locking rear diff.

This is how I switched my VSC.
First you need to cut back the electrical tape around the wire harness leading to the CPU

Once you have the protective tape pulled back locate the small blue wire with the yellow stripe and gray cross lines.

Cut this wire and add a long lead to each end. Run these wires through the fire wall with a grommet. Determine were you want your switch and attach the wires to the switch.

I used a cheep generic switch that I bought at an auto store. Do not ground the switch to illuminate the switch light. When I did this the rear locker light was half illuminated.
This switch will turn off the VSC and ABS at the same time ( lights that come on are ABS, VSC off, and Squiggly car). You are able to turn it back on at any time and do not have to cycle the engine.
If you do this mod you are responsible for your own actions. I am posting this only to let people know what I did. I am not responsible for your actions and what you do to your vehicle.

I would like to thank original poster of the pics that I stole to make my post.

No picture, can any one explain what/where the wire location he is talking about! please..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 with RR locker. Pulled both position 1 and 3 plug blanks (VSC and A-Trac) and both harnesses are there. Plugged in an A-Trac switch and the A-trac now works. Plugged in a VSC switch and nothing! Why?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys im new in this forum. I have baught a VSC switch and when i have plug it in my 2007 FJ Cruiser it didnt work. It had a plug already there. Could you guys help me with this? Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello did it worked? I had the same plug behind the blank space but when ive installed the VSC off switch it didnt worked 😞 but when i put my lights on the switch light turn on but nothing happen on the dashbord. Is there any relay or fuse that i have to check or add?
Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey folks. Don’t shoot me for reviving such an old thread, but I know the answer to the mystery of the ‘blank’ VSC position on the 2007 4WD FJ Cruiser.
The pigtail behind this switch blank on the upper left of the center dash panel is the connector for the 2WD Auto LSD. It is not a connector for the VSC OFF switch that came on the later models.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ah, so that's what it does. Thanks, been wondering for a long time.

361 - 380 of 381 Posts