Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't mean to take up anyone's time, but I have a Eclipse Navigation System (Model 726), a set of PIAA fog lights, and a FIAMM Freeway Blaster Horn (high tone). Got all after reading this forum for the last three months. So, my questions are: 1. Should I use the Toyota dealership in order that nothing gets screwed up, since they should know the FJ Cruiser and how it works? 2. Can I use an auto interior place who advised me I need an interface to install the Eclipse and it costs over a hundred dollars. I got quotes for installing everything, and it is like $45 to install the PIAA fog lights, etc.
Or does one hire a neighborhood friend to install, and is this a good idea when they might not know how to do it ?
I am located in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. Does anyone know someone here that is reliable and honest ? Thank you for your input.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
You could just do it yourself. None of what you mention is very difficult to install and there are numerous how-to threads here to show you how.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I got quotes for installing everything, and it is like $45 to install the PIAA fog lights...
$45 to install lights?!?!?! I'd say whatever you do don't let THAT place touch your vehicle. I've never installed lights but $45 to mount, run new wires from lights to battery, relay, etc and then run wires into the cab and wire and install a switch sounds WAY too cheap to do a good job!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might have been 45 for the Fiamm freeway Blaster horn and 65 for the PIAA lights, but that really does not sound much better, huh ? A service place told me not to let them use zip ties, and to make sure things were soldered. You make me think they might be using zip ties. What would be reasonable ? Thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you already have a relationship with an auto service place, I'd suggest starting there. An off road accessory dealer could do the work, and this would be a good way to see if they might be your go to shop for the next upgrades you decide to get. Personally, I wouldn't let anyone else touch my FJ. I am not a mechanic, but with slow and deliberate steps I have been able to figure out how to install lights, change the gear oil, add a horn and an extra 12V outlet. I highly recommend looking over the step by step guides on this site, then gather a few tools and start with the horn project. A little time in the garage while focused on getting it done correctly is good therapy for your mind and body. Leave the cell phone in the house, turn on a good radio station and maybe crack open an adult beverage. Tinkering with the truck is a fun way to spend time and can be a great social activity. If you REALLY can't get into the tinkering mood then roll the dice on a shop. They should all give you an estimate before doing any work and you can see if the shop is full of messy monkeys or pros before leaving the truck. Good luck and please post what you decide and how it works out. Those items are pretty easy to install so I would expect a fine result.:wave:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dougla 2,
Thank you, very much...that meant alot that you took the time. I just might try one of them.

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
I would pay to have the Nav system installed but I think with a search through the forum you could get some good instructions to do the lights and horn. The Horns would be a easy starter for you to work on. There is a second horn hookup by the passenger fender wrapped in black tape. Start easy and give yourself some confidence so you can work up to other things. It always feels good when you can accomplish something on your ride on your own or with a friend. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i went to the geek squad a best buy, the fitted my headunit with navigation and satelite radio! did a fantastic job all wires are hidden, the mounted the aerials above the windscreen (one on either side, it looks quite good) hooked up to all the speaker in the car, only thing they didnt do was link my new headunit with the steering wheel controls, but that was only because it would have cost an extra $100+ but it was possible! so i would recommend the geek squad to anyone, it only took them a couple of hours aswell!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much did it cost you Joeext ?
For an update on my story..I did get an install at Dick and Rick's Auto Interiors in Bloomington, Minnesota. They brought Jesse, a GREAT guy who does any kind of installations of mods over from Wisconsin. Really did a nice job. So, if your in the Twin Cities, there is someone who can do a great job on mods, they have proven to be great.
Sure were some great suggestions on this thread. I am trying the bar routine out for future mods.:rofl:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Look for the exe files and drag them to the zip.You really don't need mods for this game, cause it's fun either way.
I AM A ROBOT. MY POST WILL BE DELETED SOON.

On a serious note, I too am curious what geek squad charged you. But as others have already said it is very rewarding, not to mention cheaper, to do mods yourself or with a friend. I've done a lift, bumper install, dvd headrests, and sliders at home thus far. I'm sure I've saved well over $1,000 doing this myself not to mention the knowledge, experience, quality time with a friend, and honestly fun I had along the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts