Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yep, you have a few days of work ahead of you.

I have done the ARB. Mounting was my biggest challenge.

Did you do the twin?
No, I went with the compact single. I'm trying to come up with a quick-detach mounting system to secure it to a Springtail side rack. I want to use a nice MIL-spec high-current electrical connector and a quick-disconnect for the air, with hard-plumbed QD outlets under the front and rear of the vehicle so I can use a short, compact hose to reach the tires.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Some additional photos have been added to the original post, showing the installed skidplate and additional details on how and where the plate is attached.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
you are correct that these came with 08ttse's. They will work with non oem hitches with some modification as below on mine.

FJ Cruiser Rear Skid Plate PT212-35073

Description from the TRDParts4u site:

FJ Cruiser Rear Skid Plate (PT212-35073)

This is the special edition rear skid plate which came on a few Trail Team FJ's back in 2008. They can be used with only the factory trailer hitch # PT228-60060.
These are NOT compatible with the aftermarket or dealer installed hitches that hang below the rear bumper.
This part fits the following vehicles:
Toyota: FJ Cruiser 2007 - 2009

List Price: $520.11
Our Price: $375.23
You Save: $144.88 (28%)​

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I'm contemplating buying this skid. I'm thinking if taking advantage of all of this unused dead space by mounting an air compressor and tank(if it will fit) in this area and this skid covering it for protection sounds like a match made in heaven. However, I have thought of one possible issue and that is is anyone using this skid in conjunction with an aftermarket bumper? I'll be getting a swing out style bumper when I get that far in my build (that's code for when I get the cash) and wondering how much customization the skid would need with a BFH to work. Looking at pics of the exp one swing out bumper it looks like it might work with a little upwards bending, or maybe a little cutting and adding the ricochet rear bumper skid? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Headsniper,

I have alto tried to locate this TRD skid plate and have been unsuccessful.

I've not even found one existence of it online.

The skid-plate looks very useful an efficient. I would love the opportunity to see one, and if impressed, purchase this part.

Please let me know if your'e still involved and still into selling your skid plates among other interesting have to have items.

Regards,

Will

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Headsniper,

The skid-plate looks very useful an efficient. I would love the opportunity to see one, and if impressed, purchase this part.

Please let me know if your'e still involved and still into selling your skid plates among other interesting have to have items.

Regards,

Will Roach

https://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-10221

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Check eBay!

Headsniper,

Regards,

Will Roach

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you Alpine,
I'll be getting me one of those, plus possibly a middle and new front guard.
I've seen new front ones go cheap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
20170118_161956.jpg

My 2012 has the same issue, drivers side fuel pump ecm plus something else mounted where the rear skid bracket attaches to the frame. Was lucky and acquired a brand new infamous rear skid couple months ago. Time to get creative, have no instructions so will be winging it since little info exist on this bad boy.

Thanks @FJtest this thread will come in handy.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
View attachment 823018

My 2012 has the same issue, drivers side fuel pump ecm plus something else mounted where the rear skid bracket attaches to the frame. (snip)
Can you supply some better photos of the offending modules?

It's not clear in the photos, but the rearmost "thing" appears to be secured with a nylon cable-tie. If so, it's not OEM Toyota.

Is it possible an adapter module for the trailer lighting? What kind of trailer lighting connector is installed ... the Toyota 4-pin, or something else?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fjtest it is something to do with trailer light connector, the wiring runs out to the 4 wire plug. Zipped tied on. That one is least of my worries, rivnuts are a pain as you have already stated with drilling the holes. Your solution is a good one. I'm sure you looked for alternatives but found few.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I originally owned a 07 Black FJ, sold it 6 months ago and picked up a 08 Trails Team FJ Cruiser. This Edition is the only one I know off to include the rear skid plate as an option from the factory. It was an upgrade, but lucky for me the model I found had every possible factory upgrade, including this rear skid plate.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,877 Posts
I originally owned a 07 Black FJ, sold it 6 months ago and picked up a 08 Trails Team FJ Cruiser. This Edition is the only one I know off to include the rear skid plate as an option from the factory. It was an upgrade, but lucky for me the model I found had every possible factory upgrade, including this rear skid plate.
You are correct, the 2008 Trail Teams Special Edition was the only Special Edition year to have the rear factory skid pre-installed. Each year of TTSE had its own unique quirks and this was one of them for 2008. Not a whole lot of these skid plates are out there but I'm glad my FJ has one!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also purchased one of these and have a 2012 TTSE. The fuel pump ECM is in the way on 2012 but it looks like moving it forward by an inch or two would do the job. My plan is to simply transfer the bracket forward switching the front bolt into the rear hole of the bracket. Anyone have any thoughts about how secure this control needs to be mounted?
Seems to me that one M8 bolt into the frame should be plenty sturdy to hold this Ecu in place?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I simply moved the ECM forward into the next weldnut, considered drill and tap new hole in frame for front 2nd bolt, but feels so solid I don't really see the need. Will try to post pics of before and after moving. Got the rear skid on and it is great! Has you move the trailer wiring plug up into the skid instead of hanging down below bumper.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts