Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked and researched for years on a rear drawer for the FJC. Thought about building one using the plans from @Dennx Rear Cargo Drawer Build Thread as I really like how those turn out. But I don't have any wood working type tools. Looked at the Tuffy and ARB drawers and they were all quite nice. Decided on the Front Runner FJ Cruiser Rear Drawer. I liked how the deck was laid out with the removable panels so you could still get to your jack opening, etc.

It comes in quite the solid packaging. The box is built around the drawer for shipping.

Unpacked. Need to add the deck supports.

It just uses turnbuckles on the factory tie downs.

Here's a pro tip that took me about 30 minutes to figure out. The turnbuckles were too long and I couldn't tighten them up. If you make sure that your tie downs are all installed with the D-ring as far away as possible, it works. So after flipping all of mine around, I could tighten the turnbuckles up.

With the deck and eye bolts added.

It's one big drawer with no dividers so I'm going to use some smaller Rubbermaid plastic containers inside the drawer for the small loose stuff. So far, I like it a lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I looked and researched for years on a rear drawer for the FJC. Thought about building one using the plans from @Dennx Rear Cargo Drawer Build Thread as I really like how those turn out. But I don't have any wood working type tools. Looked at the Tuffy and ARB drawers and they were all quite nice. Decided on the Front Runner FJ Cruiser Rear Drawer. I liked how the deck was laid out with the removable panels so you could still get to your jack opening, etc.

It comes in quite the solid packaging. The box is built around the drawer for shipping.

Unpacked. Need to add the deck supports.

It just uses turnbuckles on the factory tie downs.

Here's a pro tip that took me about 30 minutes to figure out. The turnbuckles were too long and I couldn't tighten them up. If you make sure that your tie downs are all installed with the D-ring as far away as possible, it works. So after flipping all of mine around, I could tighten the turnbuckles up.

With the deck and eye bolts added.

It's one big drawer with no dividers so I'm going to use some smaller Rubbermaid plastic containers inside the drawer for the small loose stuff. So far, I like it a lot.
Just use zip ties bro

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

Looks good :rocker:! You could make a rear drawer system out of the shipping box ha ha!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Very cool, this drawer has been on my short list for a while now. Price point is amazing and Frontrunner quality is really nice on all their stuff typically.

Instead of Rubbermaid containers sliding around in there, I'd recommend something else... It's kind of expensive but check out a company out of CO (now acquired by Pelican Cases) called TrekPak.

I run it in my Wolf Pack boxes... super OCD compliant, ha. The sky is the limit with the amount of customability you can come up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the same drawer system installed in my FJ. I love it as well. Good call on turning your D rings around. I ran into the same problem but I just ended up cutting about 1cm off of my turnbuckle bolts to get enough adjustment room. I will say to anyone that plans to do the same that these bolts are stainless so will take a little more elbow grease to cut than the aluminum ones you normally get at your mom and pop hardware store.

I was also impressed by how the box was shipped, very solid packaging!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I've been researching this for quite some time! If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase from? I emailed Front Runner (because they were out of stock on their website), but have not received any response. Your photos & review just pushed me over the edge!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ordered mine from Frontrunner during their Labor Day Sale where they had free shipping. PureFJCruiser.com had these when I was looking as well. I will say that the only draw back to the nice packaging is that they will only ship this product to you as freight. So get ready to pay a large shipping amount even if you live in California where their warehouse is.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting this! I've been researching this for quite some time! If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase from? I emailed Front Runner (because they were out of stock on their website), but have not received any response. Your photos & review just pushed me over the edge!
I also bought mine from Front Runner direct during their Labor Day sale. They had free shipping on all of their products during that sale. Sounds like a few people ordered them then if they are out of stock.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I also bought mine from Front Runner direct during their Labor Day sale. They had free shipping on all of their products during that sale. Sounds like a few people ordered them then if they are out of stock.
Thanks for the tips! I'll just wait until they email me back (hopefully). I definitely am looking at this, and a SnapSafe gun safe to go on top (https://www.snapsafe.com/specialty-safes/under-bed-safe). But, I think if I get the SnapSafe, I will not be able to access the left and right sides between the FJ & the drawer (jack access & power access). Anyways...thanks again...love this place!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for posting pics! Was kind of always curious how these actually looked in real life, I think I was only able to find 2 other people before that posted install pics. They look cool, I already made my own so dont "need" one right now but maybe down the line when everything else is "done".

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
[Also posted in What did you do to your FJ today? on 10.13.18 :smile]
X2
Just installed mine, too!
Had a slight kerfuffle w/ the wrong side plates/end caps being sent,
but they sorted it out quickly & followed -up continually to make sure everything was corrected.
GREAT CUSTOMER SUPPORT!
(Shout out to Steele )
Instructions a little confusing (2 sets)
& you do have to install the 2 support brackets before putting on the lid
(not mentioned in instructions) but again, it only took a phone call.
Assembly was quite easy and fit & finish are excellent!
And yes, even the shipping box itself was good quality;
looking to make a nice storage/toy box out of it.

D

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I'll just wait until they email me back (hopefully). I definitely am looking at this, and a SnapSafe gun safe to go on top (https://www.snapsafe.com/specialty-safes/under-bed-safe). But, I think if I get the SnapSafe, I will not be able to access the left and right sides between the FJ & the drawer (jack access & power access). Anyways...thanks again...love this place!
I'm looking at modifying the rear access to eliminate the center support and connect the 2 panels together for weapon storage area & access it from top.
Not super quick, but right now I have my KSG store there & can access by folding either rear-seat down...
Removing center brace would grant easier from above w/o lowering rear seat.
I'm also trying to figure out how to mount folding "D" rings instead of the "O" ring mounts on the corners.
FYI: the side storage areas are 5" on ea. side.

D :smile

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I'm looking at modifying the rear access to eliminate the center support and connect the 2 panels together for weapon storage area & access it from top.
Not super quick, but right now I have my KSG store there & can access by folding either rear-seat down...
Removing center brace would grant easier from above w/o lowering rear seat.
I'm also trying to figure out how to mount folding "D" rings instead of the "O" ring mounts on the corners.
FYI: the side storage areas are 5" on ea. side.

D :smile
Thanks for the tip! Yes...we have to have access for the toys! Sounds like you and I are speaking the same language...5" on each side....hmmmm. Looks like I have some thinking to do.

For anybody interested, I heard back from Front Runners. They will be back in stock around mid-November.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Just swap out the current track for some low profile aluminum L-Track... This is what I have in the back of my FJ with the removable/movable "O" ring tie downs. I think they make different anodized colors too.

Camper shops use it a lot on top of well, campers, to create tie down points. You can also find it on Amazon or any place with an internet presence :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Cement Gray FJ Cruiser
51 Posts
I am looking at this system for my FJ.. and I have one question. Can the drawer system go back any closer to the rear seat? I need about 5" from the front of the drawer to the rear door.. I have a Molle system on my rear door and if I can get 5" or so clearance... I can make it fit. I just could not tell from the pics if it could go closer to the back seat... even if that meant leaving out that rear deck pane.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
You probably could if you don't use the rear filler panel.
That is what I am thinking.. just push it back as far as it can go... don't use the rear filler. I would love to know how much that would gain. It looks like a nice system.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Bluetick007,
I really like my Fronrunner drawer system. The side panels give easy storage/access to my drop-lghts jumpers and airhose, w/o occupying drawer space.
I just went out & measured mine:
  • The rear filler is ~6" deep;
  • The Frontrunner unit is ~10.5" high.; it clears siubwoofer
  • It clears my Springtail upper Molle fold-down table w/ rear filler/storage pane
The only problem might be the attachment points.
The Frontrunner system attaches using the 4 "D"rings to attach turnbuckles.
The turnbuckles should be able to be adjusted back, but the "D" rings are fixed. the rear ones (closest to rear gate) might interfere with your Molle (?)
HTH!
D ? ?

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I think I will be OK if I can push the drawer system a little loser to the rear seat and not use that back Filler. I have a fold down Molle table by OrangeBoxx installed on my rear door. If can push the Front Runner drawer back and gain about 4" in the front... I think I can make it work. I believe that the system is 24.4" Deep. I don't think the D rings will be a problem. The photo is of my drop down table... and that is the conflict that I want to make sure I can clear. The table system is about 3" thick off the door.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts