Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, new to the forum just picked up a used 2007 FJ 6MT with 91K on it 3 weeks ago have...since then i changed the plugs, brakes all around (rotors and pads), flushed all fluids and recently upgraded the shocks the whole way around to 5100's (Front set on 3rd notch) i had the same shocks on my 2011 Tundra that i traded in for the FJ and never had any issues. That being said now i'm getting what sounds like a slight metallic rubbing primarily when i take right turns (when the weight is on the driver-side front wheel). I should mention that during the install of the shocks there was a good bit of prying and pulling to get the shocks in (they originally put the shock support on upside down making it near impossible to compress spring). I already checked the heat shield on the back of the rotor and it's clearing everything, no rub marks or anything on the rotor, i'm at a complete loss for words...any ideas? Thanks!

Edit: Braking doesn't affect the noise (worse or better), turning left makes it go away, going straight only slightly makes the noise. Did inspect all links/bushings/CV nothing obvious and it doesn't do it all the time, sometimes you never hear it sometimes it does it every time you turn the wheel to the right of center.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Photos of the area where the noise is coming from could help. Did you go to larger tires? You may be rubbing the sway bar on the coils since most alignment shops compensate one side with more caster to account to road crown.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
"Photos of the area where the noise is coming from could help. Did you go to larger tires? You may be rubbing the sway bar on the coils since most alignment shops compensate one side with more caster to account to road crown."

I will get some in the AM, i haven't installed the new tires yet still have the factory 265/70/17's installed, shop never did an alignment as we were waiting on the new tires to come in, drives straight as an arrow and no noticeable camber issues. Did however notice today that after i ran it through a car wash the squeal went away, for a little while, took it back to the shop they sprayed some lithium grease on the CV boot and it actually helped a bit, they said sometimes the boots can rub and create a squeal? Never heard of such a thing, picked up a new CV shaft tonight though might throw it in to try it out see if it helps, was only $50.

Thanks Lmmmm this forum is excellent, even better than the Tundra forum i belonged too!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
sounds more like a wheel bearing issue?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Welcome .....Don't turn right !! ..... No that's out of my system..... This is a couple of ideas , with the prying and force any chance you bent or dented the back plate ,back side of the rotor?? Option (b) most likely ....your wheel bearing is shot and the wear has the rotor possibly rubbing on said back plate.
Jack up the wheel so that the weight is off check for any wheel movement other than spinning.:cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts