Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed my Fitch Fuel Catalyst the other day. Wasn't sure about where to put it and was getting no feedback on here so on the suggestion of a friend I found a place. Posted are pictures of the install. It was really easy and only took about 20 minutes. All I needed was an adjustable wrench and a 12mm combo wrench, and a step stool of course. It mounted right onto the drivers side hood pump with no issues. It was like that spot was made for it. :bigthumb: Now all I have to do is monitor the gas mileage.

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yes please do. My Girlfriends mother has one in her Sequioia, and went from 310 a tank, to around 350. Thats all highway driving though.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Abara-cadabara :stickpoke:

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like an easy install and I'm eager to learn if this device will help increase your gas mileage or not.

I'm constantly told that San Francisco has the highest gas prices in the country and from what I see, it's true. I just had MAF's auxillary tank installed and spent $137 for 34 gallons of regular at $3.999 per gallon to fill both tanks after a 492 mile trip back from LA. I bought mid-grade for the same price in LA.

Changing how I drive is not an option, so any device that will REALLY help to improve my gas mileage will be an immediate purchase for me.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for posting the pics........$3.999 per gallon
No problem on the pics - Somebody had to do it.

$3.99 - wow. I thought we had it bad - I saw it go up 3 cents since yesterday and we are now over 3.50 a gallon. It needs to stop.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
this will be a curious test. What has been your mileage previous to the installation of the gadget?

the gadget would need to find another place for a manual transmission b/c the clutch cylinder

·
Registered
139 Posts
What do you think is in the container to perform the cataylist? Perhaps mothballs?

Yes, mothballs will slightly assist the octane rating of gasoline. HOWEVER, in
that grain of truth there lurks the potential for disaster. One must use very
few mothballs (naphthalene only) because the ratio of carbon to hydrogen in
the molecules makes for a very dirty burning fuel. Too many mothballs and your
engine will load up with carbon deposits -- very bad news in the performance
department.

Also DO NOT mistakenly use moth crystals (paradichlorobenzene). The chlorine
atoms in this material becomes HCl upon combustion. Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is
very destructive to engine internals.

Finally, unless your engine is high compression and in need of high octane
fuel, enhancing the octane rating of the fuel over what is required is simply
a waste of money. High octane fuel burned in an engine designed for lower
octane fuel does not increase engine power.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
What do you think is in the container to perform the cataylist? Perhaps mothballs?

Yes, mothballs will slightly assist the octane rating of gasoline. HOWEVER, in
that grain of truth there lurks the potential for disaster. One must use very
few mothballs (naphthalene only) because the ratio of carbon to hydrogen in
the molecules makes for a very dirty burning fuel. Too many mothballs and your
engine will load up with carbon deposits -- very bad news in the performance
department.

Also DO NOT mistakenly use moth crystals (paradichlorobenzene). The chlorine
atoms in this material becomes HCl upon combustion. Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is
very destructive to engine internals.

If they just threw some mothballs in a canister and put hose fittings on it then they are making a ton of money.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What has been your mileage previous to the installation of the gadget?
When I bought I got the advertised sticker mileage. Then I lifted and put 285s on and probably lost about 1 mile per gallon. Then I added the exhaust and the intake and increased about 2 miles per gallon. So I was getting anywhere from 17 to 19 mpg. I am hoping this will pull it up about 2 more points - If I can get 20 mpg or more I will be a happy camper.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No mothballs - it is made up of a "composite of a number of metals formed into an alloy" (from the website).

Octane - The FJ is supposed to be using "Premium" fuel. I use the lower octane because of prices but I've read some posts on here that say that the higher octane fuel does make a difference in their rigs.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
No mothballs - it is made up of a "composite of a number of metals formed into an alloy" (from the website).

Octane - The FJ is supposed to be using "Premium" fuel. I use the lower octane because of prices but I've read some posts on here that say that the higher octane fuel does make a difference in their rigs.
Higher octane at the pump vs. lower octane at the pump yields more horsepower. Only a couple though. I read somewhere that the horsepower numbers from toyota on 87 was suppose to be around 236 as opposed to 239.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Higher octane at the pump vs. lower octane at the pump yields more horsepower. Only a couple though. I read somewhere that the horsepower numbers from toyota on 87 was suppose to be around 236 as opposed to 239.
True. I heard that also about the hp. I am getting higher anyway with my mods. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
Thanks for having the guts to take this on. Many of us are curious. Lots of opinions going on back and forth but very little actual data from an FJ so we wait in anticipation.

RUL here yesterday was $3.67 with PUL at $3.87. Seems like it goes up 2-3 times per day at times.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Last weekend we saw 4.20 for regular, the prices went up about 10 cents since then. If this sucker works, i don't care if it's filled with dead faries and pixie dust, I'm getting one.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Will do.

Sure hope these gas prices go down soon or I might not be able to fill the thing!:mecry:
be glad you dont have my Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 I just sold to buy my FJ.....34 gallon tank with diesel around 3.98-4.03 per gallon. I could not fill up as pumps only go to $100 unless you are at truck stop pumps....that was only 3/4 of a tank :(

So I am loving the FJ...:D

1 - 20 of 82 Posts