Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished the install of the Toytec FJCC 3" lift, and decided to spend the cash on a set of Light Racing UCA's to get the alignment back to stock figures since I also just put on a set of 18 x 9 wheels and 295/65/18 tires. Two questions, see the pictures below, why is there so much spindle on the upper ball joints exposed? I have cranked down on the nut to the correct torque specs but look how much spindle is still exposed. Is this normal?? Here are some pics after getting the alignment done:

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

I have just never seen a ball joint not seat like these. Any help?

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
You need to explain how you installed these. It seems you did not get the ball joints seated
Those need to be all the way seated.
I just never have installed the light racing versions I can't tell how they are put together

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
If it was't for the fact that they are painting the parking lot at my apartment complex and I'm parked a country mile away, I'd go look at mine, but no that doesn't look right, at least to my memory.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Sorry I'm just now actually reading your message, yes, on the LR UCA there is that much spindle exposed.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I don't remember all the parts, but I do remember there is a square plate do you have that above or below the UCA?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I'm just now actually reading your message, yes, on the LR UCA there is that much spindle exposed.
I installed the lift myself with no issues, but the 4x4 shop installed the UCAs and did the alignment and they brought the spindle length to my attention. I am going to contact the folks at Light Racing for clarification.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Sounds good. Just so you know, google search images of them, that is how they are. Scouts honor. Now yours do look weird, and i would look over it. If you did the lift, you should have done the UCA, they're so much easier than the lift. Hard part is getting the old ones off... oh and taking the battery out.

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
At first I thought you had a problem with you drivers side but now that I look at it again the part I was concerned with is a reflection. Here a few pics of my drivers side UCA's.

Front

Side

Rear

Mine are a bit more dirty than yours :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds good. Just so you know, google search images of them, that is how they are. Scouts honor. Now yours do look weird, and i would look over it. If you did the lift, you should have done the UCA, they're so much easier than the lift. Hard part is getting the old ones off... oh and taking the battery out.
Soooo, there is still something wrong with mine?? I guess I will call Light Racing and send them a picture.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same UCA's with a 3" lift and it looks fine to me. I originally had the same question, but the boot does not go all the way down. Just be sure the SPC logo is facing outward and ur good to go. I had a brain fart on the install and put one the wrong way and my camber was way out of wack... Congrats on the lift!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FYI, I just called and spoke to the guys at SPC and they agreed that my pictures are correct. Thats just the way they are made.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Glad you found out it was right, only thing I could think of was that to me it appears to need to be filled with grease.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts