Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I’d share how I mounted the 95L Roam Adventure Co case on the FJ OEM rack in case anyone finds it helpful...

First up - why ROAM and not, say Pelican?

This install story starts when I was inspired by a few mounted ROAM cases I saw when I went to the excellent Miyaki Motors, in El Monte CA., - when I went in for some suspension work done by Ryan and his team…(albeit they were mounted on a 4Runner and a GX not an FJ!)

They looked rugged, lockable, and looked like a really good size to realistically store some equipment to free up space in the trunk (where I'll eventually have a drawer system).

After some research I found these were the ROAM Adventure Co. secure boxes and I soon narrowed it down to 2 options…a taller shorter box or a lower profile longer one:

Since the OEM stock rack stops 3/4 of the way from front to back on the roof I figured the longer box would droop too much, and I also loved the look of the boxes I saw which were the 95L large boxes.

Next up, my install

I didn’t want to buy a new rack…If I were to go for a new rack I’d do the Expedition One Mule rack, but I’m not quite ready to lay down some serious $$$ for that yet! So the OEM rack is what I have to work with…also I like the look of it so let’s see what we can do, I thought.

Fortunately this was not my first rodeo working with the FJ rack, since I followed this excellent guide to mounting Rotopax mounts posted by another forum member (Thank you @Epic Emissary!!)

Key to that install is this one threaded rubber rivet nut component…

...they look like this:

…and can be bought from here: Part number: 93495A431 - "Rubber-Coated Brass Insulating Rivet Nut, 5/16"-18 Thread Size, for 0.015" to 0.156" Material Thickness, Packs of 5".

The plan was to reorientate my Rotopax mount and put it side-by-side next to the ROAM box.

So, from this…(looking from above, front to back)...

…to this arrangement...

Yes that’s an OEM air dam - again, excellent installation instructions here from another forum member (Thanks @bretonsimon !!). So not the focus for my post here.

So the way it works is you need to drill through the ROAM case shell, which is just a layer of plastic.

Be careful when you’re working out where to drill through, to NOT DENT YOUR ROOF!!!…which I did…concentrate your weight, as you manoevre around the rooftop, around the edges of the roof and on the rack itself….haha! I learnt the hard way, realizing I’d dented it when I looked at the car from the second floor of my home down onto the roof in the evening. Damn!

(Continued in next post…)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
(Part 2)

I stood on top of my roof and looked down to approximate where to make the holes inside the ROAM case to line up with my rack below…I am SURE there is a safer and smarter way to do it but I did it this way anyway!!

(The blue tape inside the box and on the rack were where I anticipated the holes would end up, but they weren’t entirely accurate and not really necessary.)

I then drilled 6 holes to enable thethreaded rubber rivet nuts to slot in…

Note that a few of the holes needed another half a rubber washer around one edge to ensure the threaded rubber rivet nut stayed vertical…because I hadn’t estimated the location of the drill hole close enough to the center of the rack so the curvature of the cross beam on the rack affected how the rubber insert fit into the hole I had drilled...in short it was not straight up and down so it would cause issues when trying to thread the bolt in from above (through the case into the threaded rubber rivet nut). So some of the results look like this...not ideal, but no one sees this anyway unless they're 7 feet tall...

I didn’t want the box to be permanently mounted, so I opted for this following set of fixtures…thumb screw-able bolts!

From Amazon here and here - I bought and used 2 lengths due to the ridges in the roam box requiring different depths of bolt.

So in summary, here’s the 3 essential pieces I bought to make this all happen.

Rubber washers, threaded rubber rivet nuts and thumb twist bolts.

And here’s what it looks like after climbing all over my FJ…

One thing to note is you need to place the ROAM box in a position that is close enough to the OEM rack, so that the clasps don't disappear behind them when they're unlocked. I positioned mine to rest on the rail as below:

As you can see, because of the height of the boxes it can cause some wind noise, but honestly it was not at all noticeable when I drove at a much as 80mph.

That said, it added to the thought in my mind that the car felt like a brick driving through the wind so in the end I added the additional OEM air dam.

Overall, I love the case and love how it looks. It’s got hydraulic opening struts, it’s watertight and lockable. Thoroughly recommended!!

Thanks !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for sharing all the info & pics.
Now I want a Roam box because- STRUTS!!
I also have the air dam and it really makes a difference on the freeways. I had to go down in size to 4.5” round led lights to clear my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing all the info & pics.
Now I want a Roam box because- STRUTS!!
I also have the air dam and it really makes a difference on the freeways. I had to go down in size to 4.5” round led lights to clear my garage.

Totally agree on those struts. It doesn’t sound like much but when you open the box and they kick in to automatically open up the rest of the way it makes a huge difference!!!!

The only complaint I would have about the ROAM boxes is how limiting the size of the lockable holes are – the padlocks have to be quite small.

Love the air dam now that I’ve got it installed just need to upgrade the lights now. The ones that came with it seem a little weak. Are you upgrading those?

·
Registered
39 Posts
@eggsandwich ; i def want to upgrade. the new rigid round led’s (6”)look kinda cool, also rugged ridge has a 4” bright round led with clear & amber/ hi beam & lowbeam capabilities that also seems interesting.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@eggsandwich ; i def want to upgrade. the new rigid round led’s (6”)look kinda cool, also rugged ridge has a 4” bright round led with clear & amber/ hi beam & lowbeam capabilities that also seems interesting.

or we can go totally crazy with the ARB LED’s!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks good, I just installed this case on a Frontrunner roof rack last week. I cut out 4 aluminum pieces to go under the cross bars with bolts going up through the case on either side of the cross brace (kind of like a U-bolt) The bolts go through the bottom of the case as well, I used fender washers and rubber washer on the inside of the case. I think I need to switch to lock nuts, I'm only using lock washers right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, what suspension lift did you use on your FJ? how many inches lift? do you have any rubbing? thank you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, what suspension lift did you use on your FJ? how many inches lift? do you have any rubbing? thank you.
Front and rear Bilsteins...5160 and 6112's, SPC UCA's, effective front lift is 1.2", rear is 0.9 with Eibach springs. No rubbing because I'm on stock size BFG AT KO2's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts