Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing my SAW Hybrid Kit from Metal Tech. Took roughly 5 hours with also doing a body mount chop. Took it for a quick run down a pretty rough washboard gravel road and WOW what a nice ride. Very smooth and controllable. Still has a great pavement ride also. Cant wait for my wheels and tires hopefully this week. Pics will follow after wheels are on.

Thanks Mark awesome settup and also thanks to everyone on this forum as you have helped me make up mind on most of my mods. As well as helped me spend a pile of money. LOL

Oh well cant take it with ya!!!!:clap:

Its beer time:cheers:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to "Hybrid Synergy Drive", this is about as close to a "hybrid" as you'll get in an FJC. Great feel up front with loads of adjustable settings, great ride out back with durable springs and shocks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome to "Hybrid Synergy Drive", this is about as close to a "hybrid" as you'll get in an FJC. Great feel up front with loads of adjustable settings, great ride out back with durable springs and shocks.
Just did mine also and really like it. 285-70-17 BFG and I thought I wouldnt have to do the chop.WRONG----- Guess I have some more reading and work to do. Lets see, take wife to dinner or work on FJ---Time to clean out the dog house.

·
Premium Member
17,047 Posts
Congrats on the SAW Hybrid kit! I have really enjoyed mine. :)

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Installed my Rasta Ally skids tonight. Ran into a small issue with the stabilizer bar rubbing the bolts that hold on the front scoop in the skid. With the SAW stablizer blocks installed in drops the bar just enough to rub the bolts. It was dark so will have to check in the AM to see what I can do.

So now just waiting for rims to get back from powder coating and get the tires mounted and the major mods will be done for awhile. LOL Umm did I see a group buy on a TRD SC.

Beer time:cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nice one. :) The mod starts and it just keeps going, and going, and going! :D Let's see some pics of the lift with stock tires. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congratz, keep us posted how it handles on-off road. Also let us know if you experience any corrosion issues over time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks guys. Installed my Rasta Ally skids tonight. Ran into a small issue with the stabilizer bar rubbing the bolts that hold on the front scoop in the skid. With the SAW stablizer blocks installed in drops the bar just enough to rub the bolts. It was dark so will have to check in the AM to see what I can do.
I learned to apply this liberally to the affected area of my sway bar after installing my Camburg coilovers: Image of Grinder - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting sway bar and springs squeak on contact, hit the sway bar with the grinder per Mark Hawley, BAM! no more squeak.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Excellent! My hybrid kit was on my porch when I got home today. Hopefully it'll go on easily this weekend.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The install is pretty straight forward. I did grind the sway bar and it is not contacting the springs at all as far as I can see. There was no noise at all after installing the SAW coilovers. The noise showed up the next night after installing the Rasta skids. Its the nuts that they use to hold on the controversial Scoop on the frt skid. They are contacting the sway bar. I put some spacers on it tonight and its better but still not gone totally.

I did have a bit of spring noise in the rear. I crawled under tonight and looked at the rear springs and the passenger side was not seated right on the top where it sits in the pocket. Jacked up that side to remove the tension and used a pry bar to slide it into the pocket and presto spring noise gone. Thats what I get for working in my driveway and at night I guess/LOL

Anyways alls good. and its Beer Time:cheers:

Hopefully wheels will be in tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Congrats on the new lift. Post those pics...want to check it out!

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry guys have been busy at work the last couple of days. I have some pics and will try to post them tonight when I get home. Wanted to wait for wheels and tires to be on before I posted pics but hey what the heck I can show it with the stockers for now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Im about to install some SAW coilovers w/ rasta skids. Could you post a pic of what is rubbing?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
sweet hope ya like it I will be purchasing SAW in the future why go Hybrid though vs the normal setup?

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mark form Metal Tech assured me that the difference between the SAW rear shocks and the OME shocks was nil. He said he has rode in both equiped FJ's and he couldn't tell the differance at all. So it boiled down to saving a few hundred bones that could be spent on other mods.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Quote : Im about to install some SAW coilovers w/ rasta skids. Could you post a pic of what is rubbing?

I will post a pic if I can. Its been raining and the area that is rubbing is kinda hard to get a picture of. If you look on the frt skid on what would be the topside of the skid you will notice 3 self-locking nuts which are used to attach the scoop to the skid plate. When mounted these nuts are touching the stablizer bar because the stablizer bar has been relocated with the stablizer bar spacers that you install with the SAW kit. I installed some spacers on the 2 mounting bolts towards the frt trying to lower the skid a bit. This has helped some but I believe I will maybe grind a little notch where each nut is contacting the stablizer bar.

I will do this when I remove the stabilizer bar again to grind some more off the area that Metal Tech recomends you remove to prevent the bar from rubbing the shock. I ground some off but by the looks of it not quite enough. So when you are doin the intall dont spare the grinder on that area otherwise you will have to remove it like I do and take more off.

:cheers:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I learned from Jacque at TOD that you should be able to fit a driver's license in between the sway bar and the coilover springs on each side. This requires some liberal grinding on the sway bar when using the SAW and Camburg coilovers.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
doesnt the SAW come with a sway bar bracket relocator of some sort?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts