Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being my 5th lift install this went by quick and easy, about an hour and a half by myself. I love the ride, SOOO much different than the OME 886. One thing I kinda got a gripe about is the adjustability. Since the collar is at the bottom I thought it should be easy to adjust. I set the truck down after the initial install and it sat a bit lower than I like so i jacked it up again and turned the wheel and there isn't room enough to adjust. I may try to take the tire off again and see if that helps but I'm wondering how many turns lift it how much. Doing that a few times to get it perfect is gonna really take some time. Anyhoo I'm still happy with the product, just looking for suggestions. heres some pics.

installed

side by side with the old OME

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Man, I wish they woulda came out with these a few months ago, before I put my lift on...

I agree about the adjustment being on the bottom; looks like it would've been easier to put it on the top. But, who knows, the well at the top is pretty tight around the top of the shock. That could be why it's at the bottom...

Looks like you can get more compression and coil travel, that's for sure! Nice looking shocks and coils, for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup tested em on trail and they ride sweet. I'm used to slamming my head into the headliner with my OME's but now its smooth as hell. I'd definitly reccomend these to anyone. BTW easiest way to adjust em I found out is to jack it up, put it on stands, remove the tires and swaybar, just like the above installed pic. then there is plenty of room. hold the large spanner on the collar still and turn the small lower wrench. Also found that a half inch of adjustment gives you 1 inch of lift.:rocker:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
how do other adjustable coils work?

I didn't think you had to remove the tires on others?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how do other adjustable coils work?

I didn't think you had to remove the tires on others?
Since these are threaded at the bottom you must remove the tire to adjusst.

They basicly work by spinning that threaded collar up or down to adjust to the ride hight of your choice, I think its anywhere from 0 to 4 inches or something like that.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Mike, they look cool and I'm glad the ride is great also. Too bad about removing the tire and sway bar to adjust them, that's a bummer. I can adjust my DR's no problem without removing a thing. There is plenty of room in the wheel well for the spanner wrench.

The real test will be out in the desert this summer when you run em' till they're good and hot. :rocker:

P.S. Don't you own a block of wood, talk about maxing out the jack.....:lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
very nice.cant wait to see them in person....:cheers::rocker:

·
Downwind
645 Posts
Good stuff there Mike! Thanks!
Turn the bottom ring....hmmm. 1/2" thread = 1"lift! Thank you!
Once you change the height you have to get it realigned anyway right. So taking the tire/swaybar off to adjust seems to be a minimal effort and only done when front bumpers get upgraded. :)
Do a write up and Doug I'm sure will thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was having a rubbing issue but here was my solution

OK heres what I found out. I was rubbing hard on my front skid on the right side first off. I dropped the skid and shimmed it about a quarter inch and forward about a quarter inch also. now i got space there

next I adjusted the collar up a half inch for that extra one inch of lift and installed the AllPro ultimate adjustable sway bar links and extended them about a half inch longer than stock.
heres the compairison photos.
before adjustment with the rub

and now lifted with the longer links.

So far everything looks good. and the truck sits alot nicer now too. I'd suggest adjusting them before you install them or you will have to drop the tires and swaybar to readjust later. for a truly level lift adjust the collar up one half inch from the way they came on the passenger side, and a half inch plus about a quarter turn on the drivers side to get rid of the lean.
Not everyone is having problems with these so don;t let that deter you, My rig is just gor alot of bent parts and I think my swaybar may have been tweaked a bit. But problem solved!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got mine installed tonight and went for a test drive. They look great. Install was a breeze. (once I figured out what parts were which. I'm not exactly a master mechanic) Some pictures on the instructions woud've been nice, but I managed. The test drive was wonderful. I went from stock with spacers to the toytecs so it was a huge difference. Much smoother and still handles great. Didn't get it offroad yet. At factory settings it raised me up to 39 inches from ground to fender. After test drive it was down to 38, but who cares, I can just adjust it and get my inch back. Definitely glad I invested in these. Well worth it. Haven't noticed any rubbing yet but will keep an eye out.

Not trying to steal your thunder FJFunJunkie, just didn't want to start another thread since we have the same exact part. Plus, this way people can just read about everything in one thread instead of searching through multiple ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
BTW, as far as weight goes, all I have in front is the OEM skid plate and a grille guard with a couple lights. Soon, I'll be throwing on the Road Armor bumper with the titan guard though so that's another reason I wanted the adjustability.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not trying to steal your thunder FJFunJunkie, just didn't want to start another thread since we have the same exact part. Plus, this way people can just read about everything in one thread instead of searching through multiple ones.
No problem bro! congrats on the new setup. They do drive awesome huh. I love leaving work now because I have a huge gravel parking lot, and it power slides so smooth now, I feel like I'm driving a boat. lol

·
Registered
505 Posts
Damnit, FedEx can't get here fast enough. The tracking sight says "On truck for delivery". With my luck they'll get here just before dark. That's ok, I'll just do the install tomorrow.

:clap::bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts