Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Newbie jkmarkgraf here. I purchased a 2-month-old, previously installed ProComp 3" CRT lift and am going to install it myself, with the help of my pretty capable cousin, this weekend. It looks pretty straight forward. I want to install it to have a better understanding of my truck. I cannot find directions online for this kit. I realize im in a little deep, since Im no mechanic. Any advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cant be the only guy that wants to put my lift on... Anyone who has done this must have a "look out for this" item or two...

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I did exactly what you are looking to do a month ago. Same lift and I too wanted to do it myself to learn more about the vehicle. Luckily I had the help of someone who had a good amount of experience with working on an FJ. I would recommend trying to find someone in your area who has an FJ or has at least put a suspension on an FJ to help you with it. The front can be very tricky.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I did exactly what you are looking to do a month ago. Same lift and I too wanted to do it myself to learn more about the vehicle. Luckily I had the help of someone who had a good amount of experience with working on an FJ. I would recommend trying to find someone in your area who has an FJ or has at least put a suspension on an FJ to help you with it. The front can be very tricky.
The spring compresser I rented wouldn't fit between the coils. I ended up paying a garage to assemble the strut assembly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No need to bother with a spring compressor. Just disconnect that bar, that goes diagonal from your rear axle to the frame(I don't know the name of this thing...) - disconnect it from the axle. With the vehicle jacked up and supported, use a second jack to lift one side of the axle (the opposite side your working on - this should give you enough room to fix the larger spring in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, guys. The front was a little tricky because the spindle bolts were hard to break loose. The rear was cake. Once the axle dropped low enough after removing the shocks, the springs simply loosened enough to pull 'em out. Rear took less than half the time than the front. Considering I'm a newbie and NOT a mechanic, it was pretty easy. Just need the right tools. And the right friends. Thanks Shiftin2sixth (TacomaWorld and cousin) and Kevin.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine sagged in the rear. I had to use a spacer on top if the lift to balance it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts