Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reviewing a multitude of awning types, styles, sizes and price ranges, I selected the ARB 2.5M X 2.5M. I wanted an awning that would essentially shade the entire side of the vehicle, utilized high quality materials, and has been in production long enough to uncover any inherent design or construction defects.

I have a Maggiolina Extreme hard-shell RTT mounted on an aluminum Prinsu roof rack, and the existing crossmember mounting slots in the in the rack side plates provided perfect attach points for the aluminum awning mounting brackets I designed.

ARB offers welded-steel brackets for their awnings, but they are expensive, can rust, and according to ARB are "not intended for off-road use", so I fabricated my own brackets out of 6000-series aluminum extrusions. All hardware is stainless steel, secured with Nylok nuts. ARB recommends that three mounting brackets be used with the 2.5M awning, but the slots in the Prinsu rack made it very easy to provide four equally-spaced mounting points.

The brackets position the awning close to the rack side plates, and at the perfect height. Slotted fastener holes in the brackets allow for fine adjustment of height and lateral position. 5/16-18 fasteners attach the brackets to each other and to the roof rack; ARB-supplied M6 stainless T-slot bolts attach the awning frame to the brackets.

The latest versions of ARB's awnings include a clear plastic sleeve on the underside for ARB's dimmable, bi-color (white/yellow) LED light-strip.This provides nice, even illumination under the awning.

In the end, this more than met my expectations for a clean-looking, low-profile, corrosion-resistant mounting system.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great. Where did you purchase the awning?
One of Amazon's "warehouse deals", latest model in unopened factory packaging (huge heavy wall cardboard tube). Because of an error in the product description, an additional "adjustment" was made to the pricing that brought it down to $230, delivered.

An absolute steal at that price.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Did you make an extension for the RTT crank handle?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the awning had to go on the passenger side because of a ham radio antenna tuner that's on driver's side. Therefore, I had to fab an extension for the RTT crank to compensate for the added width of the awning.

I made an aluminum extension first as a model, with the intent of making a stainless part later. But the aluminum part is plenty strong and much lighter than stainless, so I think I'll just stop "improving" it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes, the awning had to go on the passenger side because of a ham radio antenna tuner that's on driver's side. Therefore, I had to fab an extension for the RTT crank to compensate for the added width of the awning.

I made an aluminum extension first as a model, with the intent of making a stainless part later. But the aluminum part is plenty strong and much lighter than stainless, so I think I'll just stop "improving" it.

View attachment 1122508

View attachment 1122509
Very nice, Well done!

·
12,791 Posts
Did you replace all the Prinsu hardware or are the stainless steel fasteners part of the kit?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I only bought the two siderails from Prinsu (back when rights to the rack design were owned by Prinsu Design Studios), and bought the 80/20 crossbars from a local 80/20 distributor. All the stainless hardware was also purchased locally.

I don't know what type of hardware is provided if you purchase the entire RR "kit" from Prinsu or CBI Offroad, but it probably isn't stainless.

(Just saw that Prinsu is offering a 10% discount March 2-8.)

·
12,791 Posts
Their kit shows all black hardware.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have 80/20 grab handles mounted at several places along the rack side rails to provide handholds while standing on the sliders and reaching up to open the RTT latches.

I didn't happen to have exactly the right length stainless bolts to attach the handles, and initially used black-oxide finished carbon-steel bolts but they quickly started rusting, even in relatively dry So Cal weather.

Of course, the Prinsu hardware might have a black epoxy or black zinc finish, or something other than standard industrial black oxide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FJtest, How is your awning bracket setup holding up? I'm looking at awning mount options...your's takes the cake.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
FJtest, How is your awning bracket setup holding up? I'm looking at awning mount options...your's takes the cake.
Thanks in advance.
Absolutely flawless so far. Took a trip to Colorado in July for my own 'solo-Summit', and checked all the bracket fasteners when I got back ... nothing had loosened or shifted position.

I did make a moronic blunder near Escalante, Utah when I left the RTT crank & extension plugged into the tent after collapsing the tent and drove off to Hell's Backbone trail. Needless to say the crank disappeared somewhere along the way, and for the rest of the trip I had to use a large flat-blade screwdriver and crescent wrench to erect and collapse the tent.

When I got home, I found some precision centerless-ground heavy-wall stainless steel tubing, and I fabricated a new one-piece extended crank with a heavy-duty die-cast, powder-coated aluminum handle that's much nicer than the crude welded steel handle supplied with the tent.

Scott's crank - full 2.jpg

Scott's crank - handle.jpg

Scott's crank - nose.jpg

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, all the brackets are slightly modified 80/20 components. I slotted some of the holes to give a little adjustment capability, and milled some radii on some edges to better blend into the fillets on the mating brackets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FJtest, I've looked everywhere for some awning brackets that would work with a Prinsu + Hardshell RTT and your post is the only thing I've found online. I'm looking to get these bracket fabricated up here in Canada and I'm wondering if you're willing to provide the dimensions you used?

I've got a friend who works at a small fab shop up here and is willing to do a few sets if I can get him proper measurements.

Great looking setup by the way, I love how clean it looks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts