Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I saw a thread about problems installing BudBuilt skid plates if you have the ToyTec Lifts 1" differential drop kit. I have that and my BudBuilt skid plates were arriving on the 19th. I crawled under the FJC to take a look and called Bud to tell him I could use the spacers that come with the ToyTec differential drop kit, but would need some M8 bolts that were 1/2" longer that the ones shipped with the skid plates.:jester: After the skid plates arrived and I was preping them for installation I realized I would need 2 more 1/2" spacers to make the middle skid plate line up properly. I have contacted ToyTec Lifts and they are shipping me 2 spacers. When they come in I will take pictures and see if I can figure out how to post them to this thread.
:thinkerg:Meanwhile I Have temporarilly installed the skid plates using the 2 spacers that came with the differential drop kit and 2 spacers that came with my ARB rear bumper that wern't needed because I installed the tow package. Good news this will work.:clap: Will post more later.
Check out post #10 for a Summary Of The Installation.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You couldn't have posted this at a better time, as tomorrow I'm installing the lift and the diff drop.

I called bud last week about this and he said I'd be the guinea pig to see which spacers are best. I guess the legwork is being done for me. THANKS! :cheers:

Let us know what works.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You couldn't have posted this at a better time, as tomorrow I'm installing the lift and the diff drop.

I called bud last week about this and he said I'd be the guinea pig to see which spacers are best. I guess the legwork is being done for me. THANKS! :cheers:

Let us know what works.
I should have the ToyTec spacers and the time to put them in with pictures by next Tuesday.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
505 Posts
When you said you called Toytec to get the spacers, do you mean the machined spacers to drop the diff, or just some washers?

Please post pics of this when you're finished, because I'm running the same setup and am a little concerned the Buds won't fit well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you said you called Toytec to get the spacers, do you mean the machined spacers to drop the diff, or just some washers?

Please post pics of this when you're finished, because I'm running the same setup and am a little concerned the Buds won't fit well.

Thanks.
I talked to Kirk and they are sending the aluimum bilit machined spacers like the ones that go between the frame and the rear of the wimpy OEM engine plate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some day I learn to spel no time today.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update the spacers have not been delivered yet. I should get them Tuesday. Putting them on the front plate is simply a matter of putting them on like they were with the OEM decorative plate like they were when the diff drop kit was installed. To put them on the middle plate it is a little dificult to reach in there and put them in place while your ballancing the skid plate then line everything up and install the bolt. I solved this problem by using some tape to hold it in place with enough doubled up at the end to pull it off once I had the bolts in.
I'll post pictures when i get the spacers from ToyTec Lifts.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I installed my lift the other day and didn't even bother with the diff drop. At full droop, the CVs weren't that extreme. I'll add it later if I start breaking stuff.

Please still keep this updated, though.

·
Registered
849 Posts
i have budbuilts/toytec........my diff drop is still in a box. didnt install cause it didnt fit and hubby didnt want to bother taking off skids again and/or re-fab stuff to make it fit..........and i had enough people tell me (after i had already ordered the diff drop) that its not critical. i'll watch your photos and update....good luck with your install.

anyone want to buy a diff drop kit? :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'v got these pictures of the skid plates with the spacers. The only one that is a little difficult to get in is the driver's side on the middle plate. The tape worked but was a little bit of a juggling act.

Left front spacer fnl.jpg
Here is the spacer on the driver's side front skid plate.

Right middle spacer fnl.jpg
Here is the spacer on the passenger's side front skid plate.

Middle skid spacers_2 fnl.jpg
These are the spacers in place on the middle skid plate.
By using one of the longer hex key bolts instead of the short one to hold the front of the middle skid plate you have enough space to get the drivers side spacer installed with the bolt started. After putting the spacer in place and starting the bolt on the passenger's side of the middle skid plate you can replace the long hex key bolt with the short one and follow the instructions that came with the skid plates.:clap:
I hope this helps anyone out there with a diff drop kit who likes the BudBuilt Skid Plates. I like mine, feel the installation went well, and am impatiently waiting an oppertunity to go play on the rocks.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Glad I found this thread question answered.. I just love this forum..

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I installed my lift the other day and didn't even bother with the diff drop. At full droop, the CVs weren't that extreme. I'll add it later if I start breaking stuff.

Please still keep this updated, though.
Good move on waiting.:bigthumb: Unless you're over 3" of lift, no worries, nothing should break, mine hasn't with about 80k on 'er.:)

·
Registered
500 Posts
How thick are the square spacers pictured? Also can I use the longer bolts included in the diff drop kit or do I need new longer ones? THANKS

·
Registered
501 Posts
Would having spacers tack welded be a solution? Has anyone with the spacers had any issues with the bolts loosening?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts