Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After noticing the extreme heat buildup while rockcrawling in Moab I decided vents would be a great idea. They absolutely work and look great, so I feel it was well worth cutting two large holes in that beautiful hood :surprise Many of you have expressed an interest in this mod so as requested, here is the way I did mine. Hopefully others will do this worthwhile mod and post their procedures.

I selected the areas between subframe just forward of the windshield sprayers because they sit over/to rear of the largest air pockets in the engine bay. Plus I really needed to cool my CAI (plastic actually started to melt!). We taped over those areas on top of hood, then drilled marker holes through from the bottom to accurately configure the hole dimensions (roughly the open area under the louvre fins). Then drew straight guide lines between the holes and cut them out! I could barely take these pix I was shaking so hard :lol: and left the cutting to the pros. Finally, we taped off and painted the raw edges ... made a cool hoodface too :blockhead:

To be continued.....

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Plastic actually started to melt!

Why you not just maje Insulation for what you want in the hood.

I plan to Insulate my Battery it face a lot of heat from the engine. And may effects the live of it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I originally intended to simply glue the louvres on but lack of adhesive that would work indicated rivets. I chose the solid style rivet but that meant opening up larger holes in the subframe for the rivet gun...well, ok- no turning back!

First, careful positioning of the vents over the holes (and in relation to the hood dimensions) was achieved with tape. Then holes were marked and drilled onto vent corners and sides. Underneath, holes that fell behind subframe had to be enlarged for riveting, and bare metal painted. Then we all took positions - solid rivets require a lot of pressure from both sides as well as a stable surface, so a few tools were quite helpful - a large carpenters grip and a set of small expanding posts to hold vents directly over their holes. We had to drill out and redo a few of them.

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention I put a few coats of clearcoat on these sweet aluminum louvres from RodLouvers of California - love the look of brushed metal!

Anyhow the solid rivets come with a brass coating which I thought looked awesome :grin

This winter I plan to put some form of insert up inside the vents to help hold the heat in for subzero starts. Still working on ideas.

So the "finished product"....:bigthumb:

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Plastic actually started to melt!

Why you not just maje Insulation for what you want in the hood.

I plan to Insulate my Battery it face a lot of heat from the engine. And may effects the live of it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Yes exactly! And that's another reason I did it - heat affecting longevity and functioning of many parts and systems. Insulation can only do so much, then it's a matter of temperature which means REMOVING heat. And it wants to exit above when not traveling at any speed (as in rockcrawling). Originally I just planned to install a fan but it was pointed out to me that would simply make a nice convection oven, with no place for the heat to escape when idling/running at slow speeds for long periods of time. Now a fan will increase the effictiveness of the louvers and I will be installing one soon.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice! Had you considered opening up the hood "scoop" or changing the solid plastic to mesh?

Not sure if this would have the any cooking effect since it's further forward and might let bugs/dust in when driving but it seems like it would increase airflow.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice! Had you considered opening up the hood "scoop" or changing the solid plastic to mesh?

Not sure if this would have the any cooking effect since it's further forward and might let bugs/dust in when driving but it seems like it would increase airflow.
Thanks! Yes that's actually where I started with this cooling project, but soon realized that opening up the fake scoop would a) bring in dust/dirt/snow and b)not be effective for releasing trapped hot air, especially at the back of the engine bay.

An alternative I almost went with was putting spacers on the hood hinges,which creates a small gap between it and the body. This gap allows hot air to exit the rear and is apparently quite effective - also reversible - and is often used on hotrodding builds. Personally I didn't want to mess with the hinges as I have cowl light mounts nestled in right there, and aesthetically prefer the clean look of louvers vs a misaligned hood :lol:

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,990 Posts
Thanks! I'm really enjoying them and I swear my engine has more pep!!!

It's very possible that by cooling the intake that you are gaining a few more horses now, high temperature is a horsepower killer.
Thanks for the write up Deb, my battery has been getting pretty hot lately and this is a definite fix.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts