Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Embarrassing Home Depot vents ? Is that a Portland way of saying something ?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I think you are on to something......dryer vent! Comes with a scoop and a flap!
Oh, oh! And then hook up a moisture detector and servo motor to close the flap when it rains. This mod is coming together!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,945 Posts
This guy from facebook installed some good looking ones on his fiberglass fenders but seeing these in a hood would look great!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
?definitely worth more street cred than those embarrassing home depot vents?
I'm all about the street cred! The only reason I want vents so you can hear how much my engine sucks! ?

seeing these in a hood would look great!
Wow. That's the first time I've seen it on the fenders. I had a similar thought for my own but seeing it now, glad I didn't lol. The lines don't match well of the curves on the fiberglass. Some go fast guys told me that there would be no benefit for pressure/aerodynamics since our cars are slow. I still like the idea. I think the vents match better on the hood though.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Embarrassing Home Depot vents ? Is that a Portland way of saying something ?
I think you are on to something......dryer vent! Comes with a scoop and a flap!
If you get the ones that close when you're not moving that's a bit like the ones on a Porsche or other exotic? :love:

So many options here!

I'm all about the street cred! The only reason I want vents so you can hear how much my engine sucks! ?
I thought you were boosting? Wouldn't it blow? ? Also CAIs sound terrible on the 1GR, i'm borderline going to put my stock intake back on..

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
It certainly is not my style. i will say he does a nice job on the mods.

Reactions: IDFJ

·
Registered
786 Posts
Although I think seeing everyone's install made me wish I spent a little more time on placement. Here's another install cutting the skin for motivation. Not as bad as you think. The skin is glued with rubber discs to the shell and it will maintain integrity from most areas. No flex in my hood even though the cut is yuuuuuuge.
Would love to see pics of the finished product (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Can’t wait to see the grand finale’ ?
I have been running it without the louvers and just the FrogZSkins through rain etc and at speeds up to 65+ for the last 9 days. The Frog things have not permitted any water penetration, and the speeds have not affected the adhesion. I may leave it this way for awhile.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I have been running it without the louvers and just the FrogZSkins through rain etc and at speeds up to 65+ for the last 9 days. The Frog things have not permitted any water penetration, and the speeds have not affected the adhesion. I may leave it this way for awhile.

View attachment 1126709
That’s interesting...how dense is the material? Wondering how much it might block hot air from venting tho.... I assume you’re planning to rivet the louvers on top of the “frog things” :unsure:

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
That’s interesting...how dense is the material? Wondering how much it might block hot air from venting tho.... I assume you’re planning to rivet the louvers on top of the “frog things” :unsure:
The weave of the material is a little finer than, say, indoor screen. It is used on both snow machines and personal watercraft so it's supposed to let heat out was well as acting as a water barrier.

I will probably bolt them on at first. The Sow's Ear has a paint job coming up soon and I may want to color the louvers the same as the body cover.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
The weave of the material is a little finer than, say, indoor screen. It is used on both snow machines and personal watercraft so it's supposed to let heat out was well as acting as a water barrier.

I will probably bolt them on at first. The Sow's Ear has a paint job coming up soon and I may want to color the louvers the same as the body cover.
I have all my hood vents on one of my snowmobiles covered with this material, 4 seasons in and they are still like new.
Keeps the snow out and air moving. It has dropped underhood temps and my overheating events has gone to nil.
100 + mph in the open, trails (twigs and branches) , plenty of impacts from deep powder and still in one piece.

I have no doubt it will work well for hood vents.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I ordered the louvers from Amazon and was also looking at these Frogzskin vents to use under the vents, FrogZSkin® - Vent
then I thought they might look cool without the louvers too. Either way a hole is coming!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Finally got around to cutting the 4” round holes and installing the frog skin. I like the look and may not install the louvers after all
CC91F42D-B90E-4687-A18A-FC44CCF9ACDF.jpeg
17C18293-ADBC-479A-8EB4-EE38E53ACC40.jpeg

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Finally got around to cutting the 4” round holes and installing the frog skin. I like the look and may not install the louvers after all View attachment 1131966 View attachment 1131967 View attachment 1131966 View attachment 1131967
Finally got around to cutting the 4” round holes and installing the frog skin. I like the look and may not install the louvers after all View attachment 1131966 View attachment 1131967 View attachment 1131966 View attachment 1131967
it is unique! Wonder if as much air will enter, as the fins of the louvers help funnel the air downward.

181 - 200 of 205 Posts