Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

161 - 180 of 205 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,640 Posts
You know the answer.
Yes I do... If I'm going to put holes in my hood, I might as well go all in, right?

I'm thinking that I might just do circular holes...

How did everyone seal the steel under the rivet holes?
Can someone please post closeups of the holes cut in the hood and the rivet holes?

___ Edit____
OK - I've looked closer at Deb's photos, and they show the cuts clearly. @debFJVT - I guess the corner holes were drilled from underneath, or did you measure everything up to within an inch of it's life then drill from the top?

Did anyone consider a thin rubber gasket between the hood and the louvre? - maybe the central square cutout of the gasket could just be peeled back to open the louvre, and flapped back to close it?

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
Yes I do... If I'm going to put holes in my hood, I might as well go all in, right?

Can someone please post closeups of the holes cut in the hood and the rivet holes?
Gday mate,
Circular holes are a good idea, and can simplify the cuts...
The challenge is avoiding the sub frame...and only cut the skin.
This limits positions and size....
My rivets are also only gripped to the top skin, altho in some positions I've had to drill into or thru the sub frame.
And open the hole in the subframe to give full clearance of the rivet head.
I sealed each hole with VB touch up paint
The vents are also sealed to the hood with black sealant, besides the rivets.

I'll find some pixs, for you.

I don't think you really need more than 2 vents...but go for it...as many as you like...:lol:

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)

___ Edit____
OK - I've looked closer at Deb's photos, and they show the cuts clearly. @debFJVT - I guess the corner holes were drilled from underneath, or did you measure everything up to within an inch of it's life then drill from the top?

Did anyone consider a thin rubber gasket between the hood and the louvre? - maybe the central square cutout of the gasket could just be peeled back to open the louvre, and flapped back to close it?
Great questions! Initial holes were drilled from the bottom then those holes used to draw lines for cutting large hole from the top. Next with vents placed over their openings, make marks for drilling rivet holes all the way through. Then depending on where they actually fall you may need to enlarge some of those holes underneath (in the subframe) for riveting, and file/ touch up paint all the holes. Also we did run a line of grommet material between hood and louvre. No leaks, rust or issues over a year later :smile

Attachments

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Although I think seeing everyone's install made me wish I spent a little more time on placement. Here's another install cutting the skin for motivation. Not as bad as you think. The skin is glued with rubber discs to the shell and it will maintain integrity from most areas. No flex in my hood even though the cut is yuuuuuuge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
Although I think seeing everyone's install made me wish I spent a little more time on placement. Here's another install cutting the skin for motivation. Not as bad as you think. The skin is glued with rubber discs to the shell and it will maintain integrity from most areas. No flex in my hood even though the cut is yuuuuuuge.
YoLo

End result is way cool...... just scary cutting huge holes like that....still its only a hood.... easy to swap out....if it failed
:rofl::rofl:

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
G'Day A,
here are some pixs of the louver holes n rivets etc....

I also made sealing plates to stop water/snow..whatever ... entering etc.... might not be needed in the middle east ( sand? )... could be an issue...I guess

there are many ways to do it.... the engineer in you will design a solution ....

good luck

Cheers
Baz

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Two years later, I decided to launch the project. Only differences, I think, are that my hood has a matte black vinyl wrap on it, and I decided to use FrogZSkins product to keep rain/snow out instead of an inside-the-hood removable plug. And I used the same 4 1/8 inch hole saw that I used to cut the fender opening for the Safari Snorkel. The pictures kind of tell the story.

Holes are cut and the vinyl wrap has been removed so the FogZSkins can mate directly to the hood metal.

The image doesn't show it well because of the sun angle, but from ground level, the skins are barely visible. This last pic shows the louvers (from Rod's of course) just laying on the hood. I have pretty much decided to rattle can them Rustoleum auto trim matte black. Eventually, the FJ will receive a coating of MonstaLiner in either an almost-Marine-Corps-Green, or maybe tan to match the trailer. Always open to the ideas from y'all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Those look pretty good, but I'd like to place louvered vents in the historically correct FJ location; on the beveled section near the sides and aft section. But.....water intrusion is a factor, so some directional channeling is in order underneath. I would love to see a finely executed interpretation of this concept. There are a couple of companies out there that sell aftermarket hoods with them in my proposed location, but water intrusion was not considered in the design. Actually, I'd love to see a properly factory stamped louvered hood using these locations with a water channeling system implemented.

161 - 180 of 205 Posts