Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search here and found a few 2 year old threads about aadding a oil gauge and while people talked about it nobody had done one yet.

I saw mention of multimeters, stand alone gauges and what not but no actual install.

Has anybody done this? I am going to mount mine next to the dash on the right side under the vent. But I dont know where to mount the sensor.

Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
What is the purpose of the oil gauge? Don't we already have a oil pressure gauge in the dash? Light should go on if you have low pressure. I'm sure it would look cool though. I'm thinking about doing an extra voltage gauge for the dual battery

·
Registered
478 Posts
I did a search here and found a few 2 year old threads about aadding a oil gauge and while people talked about it nobody had done one yet.

I saw mention of multimeters, stand alone gauges and what not but no actual install.

Has anybody done this? I am going to mount mine next to the dash on the right side under the vent. But I dont know where to mount the sensor.

Can anyone help me?
If you are going to use an electrical gauge with sender you can unscrew the existing idiot light sensor (at the oil filter) and use a short nipple and 'tee' which will give you a place to put both the existing sensor and the new sender for the gauge. Typically the threaded fittings for the nipples, tee, and sender will be 3/8" NPT. This happens to be amazingly close to the metric equivalent. If you get brass parts get a metric die to chase the threads on one end of the nipple. I think the correct size is M-8 X 1.0. Generally the nipple will screw in without chasing the threads but the NPT is just a tiny fraction larger which could mean you wouldn't get as many threads engaged. It would be really, really bad if any of these fittings came loose as you will spray hot engine oil all over the engine compartment. A guarantee of a big mess, possibly wrecking the engine from loss of oil pressure and causing a fire from oil landing on the exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
478 Posts
What is the purpose of the oil gauge? Don't we already have a oil pressure gauge in the dash? Light should go on if you have low pressure. I'm sure it would look cool though. I'm thinking about doing an extra voltage gauge for the dual battery
A gauge will give you much better info that the typical idiot light. Most idiot lights use a pressure switch to activate the light on the dash. Typically this switch is designed to switch at a relatively low pressure. This is OK if you suffer a sudden major loss of pressure (ie. big rock makes big hole in pan). If however the leak was smaller there would be a gradual drop in pressure and you could run the engine without adequate lubrication for some time before the pressure dropped enough to activate the switch. Fluctuations in pressure can also point to things like a failing oil pump or bearing so they can be looked at before they destroy the engine.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Ditto on the battery meter. Let us know if you get-r-done. the gauge cluster is not a bad idea for that as well.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The silver panel below the vent (drivers side) would be a great place. I'd like an oil pressure gauge as well. The light is most likely set to 5-7 lbs! Not really sure if there would be a real benefit, but then it would be loke most of the other stuff we add..LOL.. Ron

PS: If you do it, post the part numbers and the install..

I haven't seen any pillar gauge mounts that look right in the FJ. Thanks for the info by the way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok....thanks guy

Im installing it next week (its on order) under the drivers side vent (error in what I wrote above)....I plan on elevating the surface a little casue I saw in a previous thread that there isnt much room back there behind the silver vent cover thingie (technical word)...

So Ill post pics an all as I do it and when i get it done.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Please do.. Ron

Ok....thanks guy

Im installing it next week (its on order) under the drivers side vent (error in what I wrote above)....I plan on elevating the surface a little casue I saw in a previous thread that there isnt much room back there behind the silver vent cover thingie (technical word)...

So Ill post pics an all as I do it and when i get it done.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
If you are going to use an electrical gauge with sender you can unscrew the existing idiot light sensor (at the oil filter) and use a short nipple and 'tee' which will give you a place to put both the existing sensor and the new sender for the gauge. Typically the threaded fittings for the nipples, tee, and sender will be 3/8" NPT. This happens to be amazingly close to the metric equivalent. If you get brass parts get a metric die to chase the threads on one end of the nipple. I think the correct size is M-8 X 1.0. Generally the nipple will screw in without chasing the threads but the NPT is just a tiny fraction larger which could mean you wouldn't get as many threads engaged. It would be really, really bad if any of these fittings came loose as you will spray hot engine oil all over the engine compartment. A guarantee of a big mess, possibly wrecking the engine from loss of oil pressure and causing a fire from oil landing on the exhaust manifolds.
I'd be very carfull about "T" 'ing it off with a new sensor and the stock one. Typically, an after market oil pressure sensor is on the large side, and can be quite heavy. If you do any 4 wheeling, the added bumps, jolt and vibrations from off roading can cause alot of pressure (no pun intended) on the addapter "T" fitting that will screw into the engine block. This will be even worse if your only able to get a few threads going since like FJ4RWS said, the toyota sensor and the brass fitting aren't the same thread pitch.
I did this on my 00Celica GTS, and after about a month, the brass T fitting snapped in the engine block leaving standedon the Freeway at 10:00pm at night. Not fun. I could only imagine the headaches somthing like that could cause on the trail. I think the best thing to do would be to "T" it off like advised, but relocate the aftermarket sensor somewhere else either on the engine, or the body of the truck. You can do this by using some high pressure hose, clamping it to the "T" fitting where it comes out off the block then attach the new sensor to the other end of the hose. Place the sensor somwhere were it will not abstruct anything. This way you don't have less weight hanging off that fitting that could potentially break under load.

Ditto on the battery meter. Let us know if you get-r-done. the gauge cluster is not a bad idea for that as well.
Enless you have a batteryisolator of some sort, a second gauge will do nothing but read the voltage of both batteries.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive been looking at options for doing this and have a couple in mind. Ill have to see how the mod goes before I post anything.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Cool, post up pics of the install when you get things sorted out.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
734 Posts
maybe he's talking about a temp gauge?

fyi
for the battery, turbo timer is one option. It gives you a digital read out of your voltage and it's a size of an index finger. this take a lot less space than a full meter. my setup: the unit that's displaying '.20' is the turbo timer.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I can't find the post that I put up with pic of the TRD plate on a Taco.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts