Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, my driver side rear reflector was broken so I bought a new one, but can't seem to figure out how to install it. It looks to me like I have to removed the whole bumper, which seems a little excessive. Anyone had to replace a reflector who can offer me some insight? Thanks :cheers:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
By deflector you mean the bumper wing right? If so, then yes you have to remove the whole bumper to put the new one on. It's pretty easy to do, I'm sure there is a right up on here on how to remove it. It's not that hard. :cheers:

lol reflector, not deflector. sorry it's early. I still think your bumper needs to come off to install it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one Reflector missing there are 3 holes in the bumper exposed in the indent where the reflector goes. Is there supposed to be a mount of some type where the reflector sits or does it mount directly to the bumper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, did you ever get a response on this? I'm putting mine on now and realizing it looks way more complicated than it should be. How the heck do you remove the bumper?

·
Registered
301 Posts
How the heck do you remove the bumper?
Have a look at:
GEORGIA FJ CRUISER - Accessories and Upgrades - Factory Tow Hitch Install

There are pictures and a link to the PDF work instructions for installing the hitch receiver which has Toyota's instructions for removing and installing the bumper cover. It isn't difficult, but be a bit careful to to lose or break clips. Replacements are available from Toyota but they are a bit expensive for what they are and frustrating since it delays finishing the job. Have something to set the bumper on to avoid scratching it up.

Use the opportunity while the bumper cover is off to treat any rust, clean the back of the frame and do some corrosion protection.

·
Registered
301 Posts
For some reason it posted twice and doesn't delete.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have a look at:
GEORGIA FJ CRUISER - Accessories and Upgrades - Factory Tow Hitch Install

There are pictures and a link to the PDF work instructions for installing the hitch receiver which has Toyota's instructions for removing and installing the bumper cover. It isn't difficult, but be a bit careful to to lose or break clips. Replacements are available from Toyota but they are a bit expensive for what they are and frustrating since it delays finishing the job. Have something to set the bumper on to avoid scratching it up.

Use the opportunity while the bumper cover is off to treat any rust, clean the back of the frame and do some corrosion projection.
Thank you! I ending up getting it off pretty easily. Removing those plastic pieces make me so nervous! Got it done though. Thank you!

·
Registered
114 Posts
The rear bumper has to come off. I followed a tutorial on youtube by someone.

They left out the part about the rusted bolt along the top edge that broke on it's way out.

I continued on and replced the reflector, installed the bumper and shot some Kroil on the broken bolt for another day.

Looking back, I may just glue the next one from the outside if I need to replace another. :smile

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I had an exhaust leak a while back that melted the back of the reflector and it fell out.I used a heat gun and some auto body dollies to reform the bumper cover. Then stuck the reflector in with silicone RTV. It's still there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts