Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I am receiving my SAW kit, TC UCA's, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw 33x12.5x17 on Pro Comp wheels. I can't wait to rush home from work and see all that on my door step. I feel like a kid on Cristmas morning just before I open all my presents.
I am wondering if anybody has any quick tips or tricks on the suspension install that might make it go a little smoother. I also plan on doing the body mount chop over the weekend cuz I know it's gonna rub. All in all, after a few days, the FJ is gonna look totally different and I am really anxious to see the end results.
Thanks for any pointers and I will post pics and comments once it's finished.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
This thread is useless without pics......

Can't wait to see it so get your camera ready!!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
yeah, GRIND your sway bar. I was pretty liberal with the grinder to stop my swaybar from hitting my coils. Also make sure to have the shrader valve on the shock facing out. Make sure you have a high quality 14mm box wrench to get the back bolt on the struts as it is an evil little sucker. Most importantly, reference the official FJ repair manual for the torque settings. Alot of the threads on this forum give torque numbers that are completely wrong. Oh yeah, and don't use WD-40 for your uniball and don't pack too much lube into your poly bushings. Hope it goes well!

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
All good tips. Especially the grinding of the sway bar. I have had to remove mine twice and remove some more material to get it to stop rubbing. The instructions I recieved from Metal Tech covered it all and its pretty straightforward. Enjoy and post Pics when done.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
All good tips. Especially the grinding of the sway bar. I have had to remove mine twice and remove some more material to get it to stop rubbing. The instructions I recieved from Metal Tech covered it all and its pretty straightforward. Enjoy and post Pics when done.

mind repeating those instructions for grinding the sway bar? i gotta grind mine. thanks!:cheers:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Can't wait to see what it looks like pics please!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must say! The FJ looks awesome now! The install went very smooth thanks to having two very experienced guys to help with the install. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance this evening. :rocker:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found some time and just had to post these pics of the new project. Let me know what you think.

Before the lift:

During the SAW and TC UCA install:

As it sits with the lift. After a few days, I may let the springs settle and crank them down to level it out a little more.

If you'd like to see any pictures at different angles, just let me know. J:rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Looks Good, I think I am going with the SAWs as well. I got to hang out with the Metal Tech guys this week and they are straight up good guys. Mark even let me drive the Metal Tech FJ to see how the SAWs ride, granted the tires were at about 15-20 psi it rode real soft. How do you like the ride and did you get the SAW rear shocks?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly, there wasn't a huge change in the softness of the ride. I took it for about a thirty minute drive and was impressed with the handling improvment. Be ready to say bye bye to the body roll. For all the guys that had to do a lot of grinding of the sway bar, did you use the sway bar relocators? I ended up with over half an inch clearance.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Be ready to say bye bye to the body roll. For all the guys that had to do a lot of grinding of the sway bar, did you use the sway bar relocators? I ended up with over half an inch clearance.
The elimination of body roll was the first thing i noticed after installing my SAWs! however, after installing my DO bumper and full set of Buds, the body roll has come back slightly. I still need to grind my sway bar...although it is slowly grinding itself down against the coilovers. on a level surface, the space between sway bar and coilover is about the thickness of 2 credit cards.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Yes I used the relocator blocks for the sway/bar. Someone on here said you should have about the thickness of a license plate but I went more than that the second time. I figure I have about at least a 1/4" clearance now.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Honestly, there wasn't a huge change in the softness of the ride. I took it for about a thirty minute drive and was impressed with the handling improvment. Be ready to say bye bye to the body roll. For all the guys that had to do a lot of grinding of the sway bar, did you use the sway bar relocators? I ended up with over half an inch clearance.
Not sure how you could get 1/2" clearance?? It may look like you have that amount of clearance but when the wheel goes up the sway bar also moves up and that is when it may rub the bottom of the coil/over.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Looks Good, I think I am going with the SAWs as well. I got to hang out with the Metal Tech guys this week and they are straight up good guys. Mark even let me drive the Metal Tech FJ to see how the SAWs ride, granted the tires were at about 15-20 psi it rode real soft. How do you like the ride and did you get the SAW rear shocks?
At the advice of Mark from Metal Tech I went with the OME rears and they seem to work fine. Mark said that the difference was not noticeable to even him so I trusted his experience. Plus it saved some money for other mod's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure how you could get 1/2" clearance?? It may look like you have that amount of clearance but when the wheel goes up the sway bar also moves up and that is when it may rub the bottom of the coil/over.
I see. I will have to see how much clearance I have when I am flexing the suspension. Thanks for the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts