Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so bad news basically, a ambulance driver ran his red light, no sirens, and nearly T-boned a guy in front of me and I swerved to avoid pushing him into the accident and clipped him.

Don't know how insurance is going to handle it, not really too concerned either. Bottom line is I hit him I am at fault, cool right.

But I have to replace my entire front bumper (for a dent and scratch the size of a silver dollar), Aftermarket turn signal, left quarter panel with paint, fender flare, alignment, and probably a few hundred dollars in screws and brackets.

But what if I just want to take the opportunity to upgrade bumpers now? Is it possible. 500 dollar deductible I believe is what Im working with. And I am an ethical person, I'm not trying to scam anybody, I just don't see a point in replacing the OEM stuff again and remove it in a few months time as planned. I read others have done it, and I know the collision repair guys were happy to see if they can figure it out. So they're on board with upgrading. I told them I might have some projects for you guys in the future!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I think the point on insurance is that you don't pocket the money. As long as the problems are fixed with an equivalent or better replacement, you should be fine.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Your insurance company will fix the other drivers car and pay the shop.If you have full coverage (I assume you do) They will either fix yours and pay the shop, or give you a check and it's up to you to fix it. minus your deductible of course. It's your money do as you see fit. It's not illegal or immoral. :cheers:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I don't think you will get enough from the insurance to cover an aftermarket bumper. I just got my 2010 TT from the body shop yesterday. Someone backed into my front bumper while at a service station. Not much damage, but the insurance replaced the front black plastic, one of the black plastic wings, the plastic center piece beneath the bumper, and some supporing metal pieces behind the bumper along with the foam(?) behing the bumper. The total cost was about $600 for parts and labor. Of course there was no body work or painting to do, just changing out plastic parts.
Alien

·
Registered
284 Posts
As far as insurance and lien holder goes, your insurance will cut you a check for repairs with both, your and lien holder names on it, Then you have to call your loan bank and have them sign the check over to you so you can use it for repairs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet the estimate is over 2 grand with labor easily.

Good thing is they have to take this Curt Brand front tow hitch off that I believe somebody used thread lock on for the bolts.

Makes sense, the estimate was set up with the insurance and the photos and info will be sent electronically to them, so If I agree to have the work done there, which I did, then they'll just send the check to them. Then they'll get my request to switch out the bumper and repair everything else and pay the difference.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got off the phone with one of the sales reps at the autobody shop and he sees sketched out now. Hmm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just a slice from my own experience: My 1995 Ford Lightning was rear ended (my wife was driving it at the time) and my body shop had no problem installing a roll pan and other "upgrades" at the time of repair. I paid the difference on some parts and ate it on others but in the end the truck was the way I wanted it. Just be straight up and tell them what you want to do. It shouldn't matter to insurance. They have to pay for repairs regardless of the parts installed.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
When I did mine I just worked with the body shop. The insurance company paid the shop for the OEM repair. I told the shop to fix everything except the bumper. They cut me a check for the amount the insurance company paid for the OEM front bumper. I took that money and some extra and ordered an aftermarket bumper and installed it myself. It was not a wash in that the after market bumper was more than the OEM bumper but still better than paying full price for the after market bumper. And no one was ripped off in that the insurance company just paid what they were supposed to pay.

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you just take a check from your car insurance company for the repairs, you can ask your body shop to do what you want and then pay the difference accordingly. That shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yah, I actually went to my insurance agent over the body shops head to get approval.

Im getting a demello with the hoop for 750 due to the April Tax sale, subtract -255 for the stock bumper, and only quoted 80 for shipping because Im shipping to the body shop. I was told they wont charge me to install the new bumper! Im pretty excited for turning a ****ty situation around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just an FYI, State Farm changed their policies in my area a while back. In 2000, I got some nearly-invisible hail damage on my car and they cut me a check directly for $900. Nice.

In 2006, I got into an accident (my fault), and I investigated making a claim against my State Farm collision coverage. I am certain the damage would have cost a few thousand to fix. However, by now I didn't want to fix the car because I was planning on selling it anyway. The $500 deductible was going to be more than I wanted to invest, and I wasn't convinced I would get an ROI on the $500. State Farm refused to pay unless I actually got the car fixed (ie. they would only pay a body shop).

I promptly canceled my collision & comprehensive coverage. Fooled me once: I won't pay for that kind of coverage again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts