Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I (possibly foolishly) started a conversation with my insurance company. State Farm. I asked about aftermarket parts and how I would be covered in the event of an accident or loss of my FJ. The amount of mods we have in our vehicles is substantial for some of us! If anything happens I would be pretty upset if I received 13k back and have to start over on mods.

So my agent asked what kind and what price are these aftermarket mods. Here's were I get nervous. If I tell them a $1300 winch, lift, skid plates, LED lights etc... they might decide to drop my policy since I'm a "high risk offroader" (which is true). I'm 22 so insurance is pretty ridiculous as is, never even filed a claim. But I wouldn't mind paying a little more to get the additional coverage.

$5000 in additional coverage would be nice. Does anybody have additional coverage for mods? Better yet anybody work at an insurance company? I'm not expecting to get all my $$ out of the custom parts I made myself. Just the ones with some tangible market value.

Also on a related note, how many of you turn in body damage to insurance?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I (possibly foolishly) started a conversation with my insurance company. State Farm. I asked about aftermarket parts and how I would be covered in the event of an accident or loss of my FJ. The amount of mods we have in our vehicles is substantial for some of us! If anything happens I would be pretty upset if I received 13k back and have to start over on mods.

So my agent asked what kind and what price are these aftermarket mods. Here's were I get nervous. If I tell them a $1300 winch, lift, skid plates, LED lights etc... they might decide to drop my policy since I'm a "high risk offroader" (which is true). I'm 22 so insurance is pretty ridiculous as is, never even filed a claim. But I wouldn't mind paying a little more to get the additional coverage.

$5000 in additional coverage would be nice. Does anybody have additional coverage for mods? Better yet anybody work at an insurance company? I'm not expecting to get all my $$ out of the custom parts I made myself. Just the ones with some tangible market value.

Also on a related note, how many of you turn in body damage to insurance?

I specifically asked about this with my insurance through USAA. In my state of Colorado, I am covereded for $5k of aftermarket parts in an accident that is my fault. The exception is in the case of a total loss, I get the appraised value of vehicle... aftermarket parts value is subjective. This happened to me (research my threads), I got some value, but not a lot. But more than the stock model declared value.

I also called my P&C insurance and asked if stuff on my car could be considered lost goods (such as a bike being carried or a rocket top Box). My personal goods were covered, unless they were hard-bolted to the vehicle (like a number).

I have a vintage vehicle. They suggested I get an third party appraisal, so they could have a documented value in case of loss.

IMO it's not foolish to have those conversations. Insurance is highly regulated and any reputable firm will not change your coverage or document conversations that effect your policy. Even going through an underwriting estimate cannot effect your policy profile, unless you actually change it

And, yes I did once claim trail damage in Moab with my insurance company. I cringed until the appraiser that came and saw the vehicle told me that it was a standard Legit practice for street legal vehicles. I guess in Moab they are a little more accustomed to this kind of thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I specifically asked about this with my insurance through USAA. In my state of Colorado, I am concerned for $5k of aftermarket parts in an accident that is my fault. The exception is in the case of a total loss, I get the appraised value of vehicle... aftermarket parts value is subjective. This happened to me (research my threads), I got some value, but not a lot. But more than the stock model declared value b

I also called my P&C insurance and asked if stuff on my car could be considered lost goods (such as a bike being carried or a rocket top Box). My personal goods were covered, unless they were hard-bolted to the vehicle (like a number).

I have a vintage vehicle. They suggested I get an third party appraisal, so they could have a documented value in case of loss.

IMO it's not foolish to have those conversations. Insurance is highly regulated and any reputable firm will not change your coverage or document conversations that effect your policy. Even going through an underwriting estimate cannot effect your policy profile, unless you actually change it

And, yes I did once claim trail damage in Moab with my insurance company. I cringed until the appraiser that came and saw the vehicle told me that it was a standard Legit practice for street legal vehicles. I guess in Moab they are a little more accustomed to this kind of thing!

I have USAA as well but when I asked them what aftermarket mods are covered under their insurance plan they said either $2k or $3k... I can't remember right now... Then again, this conversation was over a year ago so maybe things have changed. How was your experience with the appraiser? Did they give you a realistic estimate to repair the damage?

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Farmers Ins here.

They told me to keep track with receipts of added parts and I was covered.
They will not cover if in competition.

They asked me if I was usually on named or marked roads?
I answered why yes I am....isn't steel bender in Moab a marked road????

In all reality when you are off-roading, you have to assume some risk.
You roll your FJ six times backwards when coming up Hells Gate because you took a bad line might be hard to explain to your agent and probably will get denied.
You roll your FJ six times going down I-70 going to Moab, no worries

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have USAA as well but when I asked them what aftermarket mods are covered under their insurance plan they said either $2k or $3k... I can't remember right now... Then again, this conversation was over a year ago so maybe things have changed. How was your experience with the appraiser? Did they give you a realistic estimate to repair the damage?

They have an accurate estimate and the Moab4x4 Outfitters shop simply called them when we're doing to work if there were any variances.

Also, as someone said before, I was told to keep copy of receipts for aftermarket parts

Don't know what state your in but the part coverage rules might chance state to state.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Farmers Ins here.

They told me to keep track with receipts of added parts and I was covered.
They will not cover if in competition.

They asked me if I was usually on named or marked roads?
I answered why yes I am....isn't steel bender in Moab a marked road????

In all reality when you are off-roading, you have to assume some risk.
You roll your FJ six times backwards when coming up Hells Gate because you took a bad line might be hard to explain to your agent and probably will get denied.
You roll your FJ six times going down I-70 going to Moab, no worries

Yep. Was told same thing about

Sadly, my first FJ was totaled on I70 in Colorado. Details are in a different thread of mine if your interested.

Second FJ took damage from bad line on Fins and Things in Moab - which I didn't claim. Though the one I did claim was on a different "road" off of LaSalle Pass that existed on maps, so i felt it was legit.

·
Registered
402 Posts
A note to add.

USAa Agent confirmed that Some aftermarket parts are always covered, unless the car is totaled.

For example, if my ARB bumper was damaged beyond repair. It would be replaced as new. If my car was totaled entirely,
I would not get significant added value to the salvage estimate.

Same goes for aftermarket wheels, lights, racks, etc.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
A note to add.

USAa Agent confirmed that Some aftermarket parts are always covered, unless the car is totaled.

For example, if my ARB bumper was damaged beyond repair. It would be replaced as new. If my car was totaled entirely,
I would not get significant added value to the salvage estimate.

Same goes for aftermarket wheels, lights, racks, etc.

Just out of curiosity, have you explored other insurance companies? I pay a higher premium with USAA but I'm afraid to switch because they are such an easy company to deal with. They even gave me money to replace my horn when it shorted out because I left my FJ "open" (read tube doors) the night of a storm :wink

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you explored other insurance companies? I pay a higher premium with USAA but I'm afraid to switch because they are such an easy company to deal with. They even gave me money to replace my horn when it shorted out because I left my FJ "open" (read tube doors) the night of a storm :wink

I've been a USAA member for 30+ years. I understand they've become more expensive,
But They've always treated me great. They earned my loyalty. Plus I have a lot of other stuff with them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
insurance... their betting on you're going to have a wreck , and we are betting than we're not lol

The house general wins in gambling. And, in many cities many of the tallest buildings have insurance company names!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
The house general wins in gambling. And, in many cities many of the tallest buildings have insurance company names!

Yup and that's with 34% of the people on the road driving without insurance... the number is like 37% in FL. I'm sure CA. And NY. Have similar stats !

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After I gave my insurance agent a short list of about 8k in aftermarket parts, she replied back and said the best I could do is just keep receipts for everything I purchase. She couldn't get a straight answer from the claims handler but said that "all auto claims are settled on an Actual Cash Value (depreciated) at the time for the loss. This would include anything that you have added to the auto IF it is covered at all."

That doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy.... :| So basically if something were to happen, what I receive back will be what a similar FJ is currently selling for? We all know mod money is worth little to nothing when trying to sell a vehicle. Wish they would take more of my $$ every 6 months to pretend my FJ was worth 10k more...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Extra insurance for mods?

Has anyone out there bought extra insurance for their FJ mods? Anyone out there done their homework on the matter that can offer feedback? Like what to know plus do's and don'ts?

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Extra insurance for mods?

Has anyone out there bought extra insurance for their FJ mods? Anyone out there done their homework on the matter that can offer feedback? Like what to know plus do's and don'ts?
I'm kinda surprised not many on here do anything different with their insurance it seems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I destroyed a BMW crossovers rear and was inside the vehicle with my FJ, backed out and had no damage on my vehicle besides a small dent in my Demello Alum bumper. Called up USAA, got it appraised, and in 24 hours had my money for the aftermarket bumper. They appraised it $300 over the price I paid for it brand new, so I really had some good choices of what I wanted next.

I didn't actually say it was aftermarket, not thinking at the time as they didn't ask that. I sent in a picture of it on the app, but still had zero issues with them covering it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
On a heavily modified vehicle, you might look into an agreed value policy. It's what I carry on my VW Bus and my Classic BMW. A little more work up front, but you know exactly what you're looking at should the worst occur.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I also foolishly had this conversation with Progressive a few years back. Was able to add $10k in accessory coverage for a minimal increase in premiums but received a cancellation letter at renewal 1 year later because I was using the truck to off road. No additional coverage at the moment.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
^^^^ Had the same thing happen to me with State Farm. Went with 21st Century and have added on the mods to my policy for a nominal fee -list/ form of those items sent to them to be covered.

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts