Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for so many threads but hey we need something to talk about til more facts come out, right? What do you guys expect the insurance on the FJ to be? My current GTI is pretty expensive actually so I'm wondering whether trucks tend to be more or less typically than normal. I'm imagining it'll be safe (ie, do well in crash tests).....I imagine it may have a standard alarm? Key immobilizer? daytime running lights (which won't look so hot when running), abs, etc.....should add up to a decent rate. I live in Mass so this definitely is a valid concern (so expensive)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Insurrance will be high like the GTI they will expect people to show off its assets. GTI going fast, FJ going up hills- at least that will be the excuse. As far as "I imagine it may have a standard alarm? Key immobilizer? daytime running lights (which won't look so hot when running), abs, etc....." No it wont,

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
Sorry for so many threads but hey we need something to talk about til more facts come out, right?

Bostonian-- Producing usless threads since 1873.... :D

Just Kidding Bud !! We do need something to do til more facts come out !!! It seems lately I only look for the new threads. We have touched on every possible topic...I thought.

Anyway, my two cents. I don't see the insurance being too bad considering the safety standards of of today. From the Pre-spec, don't see anything that would jack up insurance anymore than the competitors!!

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roosterdo said:
Insurrance will be high like the GTI they will expect people to show off its assets. GTI going fast, FJ going up hills- at least that will be the excuse. As far as "I imagine it may have a standard alarm? Key immobilizer? daytime running lights (which won't look so hot when running), abs, etc....." No it wont,
It's gotta have ONE of those. I can't imagine it coming out with no security system whatsoever. I think a key immobilizer at least....

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm sure it will have the chip in the key, air bags, abs and optional DRL's. Plus it will probably come standard with Toyota's safety package which they seem to be putting on all thier trucks and SUV's now. (which includes the abs but also has VSC and some other stuff)

·
Registered
166 Posts
bubbahotep said:
Bostonian-- Producing usless threads since 1873.... :D

Just Kidding Bud !! We do need something to do til more facts come out !!! It seems lately I only look for the new threads. We have touched on every possible topic...I thought.

Anyway, my two cents. I don't see the insurance being too bad considering the safety standards of of today. From the Pre-spec, don't see anything that would jack up insurance anymore than the competitors!!
personally i think the insurance rate has everything to do with the cost of the truck, still an unknown exact figure. if's it's relatively low then your insurance will be relatively low. if it cost a bloody furtune then so will your insurance.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yoyoyo said:
personally i think the insurance rate has everything to do with the cost of the truck, still an unknown exact figure. if's it's relatively low then your insurance will be relatively low. if it cost a bloody furtune then so will your insurance.

I think it has more to do with the TYPE of car it is, doesn't it? For example, an old beat up IROC Z (lol) would probably still be a high insurance rate, I bet (if you had collision on it)

·
Registered
166 Posts
EJR said:
4x4, raise the rates!!!!
i'm sure it does. i'm no insurance expert. however again it all has to do with how much it costs to replace a wrecked car. if the car doesn't cost much to replace then the insurance will be cheaper and vice versa. i'm certain there are other factors such as 4x4, teenage drivers, etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The type of car is important, probably more than the cost of the car itself acutally. A big thing insurance companies consider is the accident rate for the vehicle. Since accidents usually involve more than 1 vehicle and the other car could be $50k, plus possible medical expenses, the cost of your car isn't everything. Cars like the WRX aren't all that expensive but they have a lot of young owners racing around in them getting in accidents so that makes them more expensive than another car that is just as quick but with mostly older/more mature owners. Newer Corvettes for example, an expensive and fast car(compared to a WRX) are actually pretty cheap to insure because most owners are older and drive them very carefully. I'm 24 and I was quoted about the same for a 2003 $37000 Z06 corvette as I was for a $13000 1997 Land Cruiser, both less than a WRX. That's because Corvettes are statistically less likely to be involved in an accident.

So things I think could raise the FJ insurance is Toyota seems to be targeting younger buyers with it, it's an SUV(usually worse insurance than cars), possible high demand/trendy vehicle(could cause higher theft rates), also a 4x4 model will usually be more as well.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Depends on the state you live in, for one. Two, it depends on whether or not your state gives discounts for SUV drivers since they are in fact a bit safer when it comes to being able to walk away from a collision. Then it will depend on your age, sex, and driving record. If you're a 19 year old male with 2 DUI's and 14 speeding tickets, you better just go buy something outright that you can get by with only liability on. If you are going to finance it, you are going to have to have full coverage so you are going to pay more. I'm guessing around $150 - $200 a month for a good driver with a clean record. Those of us who have been bad at one point or another in our driving career can expect to pay out the ass. Shop around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts