Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done a lot of shopping for a good canvas tent.
The Springbar Traveler 5 from Kirkhams Outdoor Products
seems to be the best choice. For me. The Springbar Store: Deluxe Tents: Springbar Traveler 5 Tent
at
Why Springbar® is the Best Tent Made in America
I don't want this to be a debate on the merits of the tent.
I just want to see who else might be interested.

Update 2/3/2011: Springbar will have a promotion from 2/9/2011 to 3/21/2011. (Free Ground tarp & Door mat with tent purchase.)
Other then that, their only discount is 5% on purchase of 2 or more tents.
Post #9 has contact info.

http://www.springbar.com/

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
I have a Springbar tent and I will be the first to say it is an impressive tent. The tent is absolutely wonderful but three things should be mentioned about the Springbar.

1. It weights a lot and takes up a lot of space.

2. You have to be able to stake the tent into the ground. Not always easy to do in the Rocky Mountains.

3. Darning a storm everyone will be in your tent! These things are very well built and with enough room to stand up in everyone will want to be in your tent durning a storm.

I have thought about selling mine and going to a RTT set up just because of the weight and room it takes up in the FJ.

Pic for anyone who doesn't know what they look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Not interested in the group buy (too heavy for my style of camping), but I’ll add that most scouts / church groups around here use Springbar. Plus, Kirham’s is about 15 minutes from my house, and they are one group of good people!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thats two positive comments.
However 60 lbs is in the low end for a canvas tent. A lot less weight/cumbersome then an RTT. Besides the camp trailer needs the ballast.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have my spring bar that I got 35 years ago when I was 11. It is still perfect and has been on countless campouts. It is not used as much now as I do more back packing but every time I go to lake Powell it is with us. I have gone through many sets of stakes but the original bars are still good. The nice thing about the new ones is that you do not have to go inside to set it up like you do mine. I also have the spring bar sun shade that we use boating a lot and it is 15 years old and has held up to some nasty wind at Powell.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Looks a lot like my Kodiak tent I bought from Cabelas 3 years ago.

Mine is larger 10' x 14' and is awesome.

It's like a hotel room for us. We put 2 full size cots in there, a table between them, and there is still tons of room for dogs.

When we go hopping from place to place every night we use the roof top tent, but when we go somewhere (like the Summit) for more than a couple of days, we use the Kodiak.

It looks to me like they are made by the same folks and sold under different brands (maybe).

Yes it's heavy, but we love it.

Sometimes we just set it up in the yard for parties as well.

Great quality, we have been snowed on, rained on, no issues.

Awesome base camp tent.

Here is a link:
Cabela's: Kodiak® Flex Bow Tent

-

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kodiak looks like a Springbar. Well of course it does, its a copy. Kodiak says they took Springbar and made it better. Actually they took it to China and had it put together cheap with just enough changes to avoid patient problems. (I've seen that comment made in several forums during my searching)
I'd like to buy something made in the USA.

·
Premium Member
Toyota FJ Cruiser 2010
32 Posts
Give me an idea of what kind of price we're looking at and I'll prob go with it....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got around to contacting them, here is the response:

We offer a basic quantity break of 5% off regular price for anyone that purchases 2 or more tents. We are unable to offer a larger discount because these are factory direct tents (made in Utah at our factory) that have only gone thru one mark-up cycle (unlike many of our competitors that produce over-seas and do two mark-up cycles). By coincidence we are kicking off our yearly spring promotion which includes a free ground tarp and free door mat with any springbar purchase. This promotion is running from 2/9/11 thru 3/21/11 and is available on Springbar® Camping Tents

Andy Church
Sales Manager/Buyer
Kirkham's Outdoor Products
Salt Lake City, Utah
801-486-4161
[email protected]
Springbar Canvas Tents: Made In Salt Lake City USA Kirkham's Outdoor Products

While its a small savings, I'll wait untill the 9th to make an order.
Figure its worth it to have a tent I don't have to worry about the weather.
Plus its made in the USA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts